Simon

New Minifig Part Categories

Greetings, Folks!

Our LEGO parts database is organized into categories, and during the last few years, two of those categories, "Minifigs" and "Minifig Accessories" have grown into almost unmanageable sizes. So, after several month of internal discussion, we have decided to add more minifig categories. Here is a list of our new minifig category system:

Minidoll Heads - Friends/Elves figures
Minidoll Upper Body - Friends/Elves figures
Minidoll Lower Body - Friends/Elves figures

Minifig Heads - incl specials like minecraft, molded character, etc...
Minifig Upper Body - incl. odd Torsos)
Minifig Lower Body - incl. specials, skirts, etc...

Minifig Headwear - incl Hats & Hair, anything that utilizes the top stud of a minifig head
Minifig Accessories - incl. Tools, weapons, etc...

Minifigs - temporary container (for now)

The most obvious parts are already moved to their proper categories, and we are now working on the remaining parts within Minifigs and Accessories to move them to their right place.

PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT CATEGORY CHANGE REQUESTS FOR MINIFIGS OR MINIFIG ACCESSORIES FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS!

We are working on full speed to get this massive operation completed, and having to spend our time on individual change requests for these parts is a waste of previous time - we know that these parts need to be moved, and we are working on it as fast as we we can. Any category change requests for minifigs or minifig accessories submitted during the next few weeks will be rejected.

I will update this post when, as far as we know, all parts have been moved, and new category change requests for minifigs or minifig accessories will be accepted again.

Take care,
Simon

Small update, 

The original Minifig category (That was originally designated “Temporary” in the above post) will now be used for minifig parts that don’t conform to the new categories.

Eg. “Maxifigs” (Like The Hulk, or Hagrid) where the upper and lower body are one part. Note: Removable arms for these figs will be put in the Upper Body category though. And Heads in the Heads category.

And the “Trophy & Statuette” microfigs. Eg. The small figs found in LEGO games and the figs from the recent Harry Potter Hogwarts set. 

I’m sure they’ll be more parts that will qualify for this category, these two examples are not a comprehensive list.

Thanks,

Jared

That's great! It will help a lot.

I'm curious as to what will be the place for what Bricklink calls "Headgear accessories" (visors, plumes, all the friends bows and other stuff that goes on hair or helmets).

Edited by Vokhev

especially for member who do a lot of searches, like myself, it's a great improvement... job work !!
thanks 
anyway, I have some considerations about minifig parts, which I will do in another topic...

Edited by Diniz Vilhena

5 hours ago, Vokhev said:

That's great! It will help a lot.

I'm curious as to what will be the place for what Bricklink calls "Headgear accessories" (visors, plumes, all the friends bows and other stuff that goes on hair or helmets).

Anything that doesn’t directly utilize the top stud of a head (visors, beards, plumes) will currently remain in the minifig accessories category. Further discussion may happen to agree a final decision. Users input is welcome. Tell us what you think. 

Minifig Category work is now complete. I'm sure there were some parts missed (I'm only human) so that's where you lot come in. If you see something odd please submit a CR. 

Minifig Part CR's are now open and will be considered as normal.

Part name and Print relation work will continue, to make everything consistent but this is a mammoth task and will take considerable time.

Check out the categories and let us know what you think.

Thanks,

Jared.

7 hours ago, jaredhinton said:

Minifig Category work is now complete.

Check out the categories and let us know what you think.

wow... that was fast. Thanks

I think it's comprehensive and intuitive. so far, looks fine 

9 hours ago, biodreamer said:

Why is the Nestle Promo figure weapon and shields in the non-buildable figurine category? 

They have always been there, it’s not a result of the recent category changes. They will be moved to minifig acc. With the rest of them

I had a look at my own parts in these categories and wow! That is so much clearer than before. Combined with the colour filter, it's gonna be much easier to find stuff (except maybe yellow heads but that can't be helped).

Minifig accessories is still a bit wide. I see clear divisions in it like:
-Stuff that goes around the neck
-Stuff that goes in hand(s) (maybe with weapons as a separate category)
-Stuff that goes on headwear
-Stuff that doesn't go on a minifig itself (cannons, faucets, control panels, etc.)

But I think it will do the job very well as is, at least for now.

Great job on this.

Yes it's a great improvement.

I think they should go the connection way that Nathan talked about, which make most your suggestion good ones, however that would divide "visors" from "feathers" since they have different connection points.

and those stuff that don't go on the minifigs should leave the category and end up in the different special categories for now.

1 hour ago, Vokhev said:

Minifig accessories is still a bit wide. I see clear divisions in it like:
-Stuff that goes around the neck
-Stuff that goes in hand(s) (maybe with weapons as a separate category)
-Stuff that goes on headwear
-Stuff that doesn't go on a minifig itself (cannons, faucets, control panels, etc.)

There have been alot of discussions about minifig categories for as long as V3 has been out. In the end we decided upon having as few categories as possible so as not to over complicate things for users who may be new or causal Lego fans. Obviously there are oddities but we really don't want to expand to BL level of part categories. Other categories also suffer this problem (Bionicle comes to mind and Printed Parts across the board especially). We managed to half the Acc. category by removing headwear (And made it clear where Hair would be found, that one was always confusing) so even though there could still be good divisions in that category it is far more manageable than it was and is a good compromise to balance the needs of all our users.