Loremonger

Holiday Train Re-Creation

Good Morning (at least it is here), Everyone.

I'm looking to put together the Holiday Train to go around my Christmas village. I'm brand new to LEGO trains, so I'm wondering if what I'm really wanting is this Complete Holiday Train Collection

My initial plan is to part out a couple of Constitution Train Chase Sets to get the wheel assemblies and a handful of other parts that I need.

So I guess I'm asking for some advice.

What kind of track and motor should I use?

What other sets have a lot of the same parts? 

Do you have any suggestions for replacements for high-priced or hard to find parts? For instance, the windowsare a doozey. I need 12, but in white, they cost ~$5.00 a piece! I figure I'll just use another color, but would welcome any other creative ideas. Also, I figure for the toys, I can use just about anything to fill up that car. Same with minifigs. 

Thanks in advance! Happy building. Play well together.

Thea will have some good ideas for this.

Those white windows are in Market Street, hence the silly prices, but a better bet is to buy Shrieking Shacks [4756], with no minifigs from *Bay. They go for £10 ish in the UK, in crappy condition, and have 5 of them.

OMG! this is like deja vu.  I just got a message from someone at BL asking me the same thing and it wasn't Loremonger!

The answer is:  Any train can become a Christmas train.  Build it in the traditional colors of Red, Green and White.  I just uploaded a picture of ours that is a 9v.   http://bricksafe.com/pages/thea  post-17-0-71993800-1380918780_thumb.jpg

The year the Holiday train was released, I bought a motorized set for the "Denver family".  My son didn't like the engine, so he went to the LEGO store PAB bins(no wall back then) and brought me a cup full of red, green, and white pieces and said, Build it better Mom.  That's where I got the idea for the one in the picture.  The engine and tender are a combination of a large black My Own Train set, an extra green passenger car, and of course, spare parts.  

Being something of a stickler for recreating a set with pieces from the actual era it was released, if I were trying to faithfully recreate the Holiday Train, I would use 9v layout.   The beauty of 9v track is that you can run RC, PF and 9v on it.  And if you want to have a few places where you switch over to RC track, it will connect easily.  But 9v is no longer available from TLG, so use what you have or can buy now for the least amount of money.

One of the questions I was asked by the other person is: Will putting the motor in a tender car cause any problems with pushing and pulling at the same time?  I haven't run into any problems having the motor in the middle of a train in any of the systems.  

What has caused me problems is newer cars with longer baseplates not taking the curves well on 12v track.  Also some of the newer train cars have parts that extend out and when they pass each other on 12v tracks right next to each other, the extensions sometimes "bump" into each other.

End of today's train tutorial.  I have parts to inventory and dismembered minifigs begging for attention. I just checked the definition of dismember and discovered it really only applies to "living things".   :wacko:  Guess from now on I'll use "parted-out".  

I also played around with some of the reply options and added in the picture after the link.  It lets you put the picture where you want it.  Way more cool than BL!

Nathan's set no limits for the forum pretty much, so you can do whatever you want.

EDIT:- Except insert pictures of Megabloks. If you do it releases a plague on your town [it's an admin option I can't turn off] :P

BL forum is a old piece of garbage. anything is better then that, it's a challange to make it worse and still beable to call it a forum.