Retrieverfalcon

Known variations from box part count

Question

When adding sets, I often compare the existing inventory to the part count identified on the set's box as a first check. It would be great to somehow flag known variations - for example, many sets include their sticker sheet or the brick separator in the box count but these are in Rebrickable inventories as spares (so not included in the Parts count for the set). These type changes often cause a minor part count discrepancy that I spend wasted time tracking down. A good example is [set]60188[/set] - on the box, this set includes 883 parts; on Rebrickable, this set has 881 parts. The 2 part discrepancy is a sticker sheet (currently missing) and the brick separator (classed as a spare part).

Other times, the count goes the other direction due to certain '"combo" parts. Examples include [part]24308[/part] (often counted as 1 part for the box but 8 parts on Rebrickable) or [part]11402[/part] (often counted as 1 part for the box but 9 parts on Rebrickable). This leads to cases like [set]75889[/set] which has a box part count of 841 but a Rebrickable count of 856.

It would be great if these variations were somehow flagged - either automatically or by some manual note to the part count to make reduce time to confirm an inventory is complete. 

11 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Retrieverfalcon said:

It would be great if these variations were somehow flagged - either automatically or by some manual note to the part count to make reduce time to confirm an inventory is complete. 

We try and reflect the box part count as much as possible. But there definitely has to be expections, like you said about combo parts (parts on sprues especially) but we shouldn’t be lower. 

Brick separators should always be in the main inventory and not spare parts. If you see any as a spare please submit a cr to correct it. 

Stickers are trickier and is something that has had other posts discussing them.

if you find any discrepancies in numbers if you flag them to us we can run the BOT to see if the parts can be easily found and made, if that doesn’t work it’ll have to be the good old fashioned search and submit route. 

Oddly, Ninjago sets seem to suffer most from Lego not correctly listing parts (especially minifig parts) so there’s a lot of work to be done on them. 

1 hour ago, jaredhinton said:

Brick separators should always be in the main inventory and not spare parts. If you see any as a spare please submit a cr to correct it. 

I understand the concerns with stickers and see both sides. Those same issues seem to reside around the brick separators. They aren't really needed to build the set but often are in the official inventory and I'm in favor of those being as accurate as possible.  For the record, if the decision is that they should be in main inventory, 60188 needs to be corrected (amongst many others no doubt).

More so, I am just hoping these know issues could be flagged somehow rather than having to hunt through the inventory before I see a specific part then go, "Ahh, I see now".

18 minutes ago, Retrieverfalcon said:

For the record, if the decision is that they should be in main inventory, 60188 needs to be corrected (amongst many others no doubt).

Thanks I'll sort it now. There will be hundreds as spare parts I'm sure. Whenever I come across one I fix it.

I'm still a bit on the fence for putting the brick separators in the main inventory. It's not needed in the build itself, so according to our standards it should not be counted in the build calculation, so be placed in the spare parts. Same a your change request for the tools in the Big Ben set from a few days ago.

Other admins that can weigh in?

Yeah that would increase the need for a model A inventory. I think they should be in the excluded part category among stickers. if you need those to match the sets part count.

5 hours ago, TobyMac said:

I'm still a bit on the fence for putting the brick separators in the main inventory. It's not needed in the build itself, so according to our standards it should not be counted in the build calculation, so be placed in the spare parts. Same a your change request for the tools in the Big Ben set from a few days ago.

Other admins that can weigh in?

Haha, I've been saying the exact opposite. We had a discussion a while back that came to the conclusion to have them in the main inventory as Lego count it on the official part count. For the record, imo I agree with Toby but I do see the validity of putting them in the main inventory. Is their an option to ignore Brick separators on build calcs?

5 hours ago, biodreamer said:

Yeah that would increase the need for a model A inventory. I think they should be in the excluded part category among stickers. if you need those to match the sets part count.

I was under the impression Stickers weren't part of the part count, don't know why I think that. They don't have them pictured on the 'parts included' picture in instructions/boxes

44 minutes ago, slangivar said:

I checked the inventory of the station 60050 earlier. The total part count on LEGO.com is one more than the list in the induction manual. I assume that is the sticker sheet.

Which matches the number on the box? The manual or the website?

LEGO.com and the box both state 423 parts. The manual meanwhile lists 422 parts including the separator. Using the earlier assumption the sticker sheet is the difference between these numbers.

Our inventory not includes both the separator and the sticker sheet and has 423 parts.