jbaddeley

Possible app for parts?

Question

Okay so I have thousands of Lego bits a peices that I have no idea which sets they're for ect, is there currently an app I can log all this into? I don't want to be typing thousands of piece numbers into the search and adding them one by one, does anyone think it would be possible to make an app that uses the camera to identify certain pieces? So say I could snap a picture of a part, the app identifys it then I can choose how many I have and add it to my list? 

4 answers to this question

Well you would need to use one of those AI support image detection programs and I think you need to limit it to loose parts not piles, ie no parts touching or hiding each other, and it's actually doable with today technology. You however would need a sizable database of part photos from all kind of angles. 

I think it will fail to detect tiny mold changes and of course prints facing away from the camera. 

I don't think you will get rich by doing that at all. it's a lot of time to collect data most likely community based so you don't have to do all the work.

So building the app is actually the easy part, feeding it the right data and validate the outcome is the time consuming  part.

There has been efforts to train a network based on rendered LDraw images from multiple angles, but with limited success rate so far. I'm keeping an eye on this stuff as I'd love to have a crack at it myself if I ever get the time.

I'm not a developer but if anyone knows somebody capable of putting it together I'm sure the Lego community would chip together to get a database together, I'd imagine it could work like the Lego catalogue 3d render thing they do, but the opposite, so as the camera picks up the average sort of size and shape and match it into the database, I only thought of this as I want to list thousands of loose parts to see what mocs and sets I can build from the mountain of bits I have without literally checking every part into a list .... I'll be there for months