Nickram

Lego digital designer Alternatives?

Question

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been looking at building instructions for some MOC's and they all seem to use the lego digital designer. Unfortunately I dont have a windows or mac, only a chromebook and an android phone. Are there any other options to view the build instructions?

Thanks Nickram

8 answers to this question

Hi, Nickram.

I understand the problem - if it's only a few MOCs, then post the MOC-numbers (or links to the MOC pages), and I will download the lxf files and run the instruction generator to pdf files, and upload them (temporarily) to my bricksafe account. I'll then post the links and you can down load the pdf's. I presume your Chromebook is capable of downloading and viewing pdf files.

Take care,

Simon

Thanks Simon, I really appreciate that offer. I'm currently on holiday, so won't be doing any building soon but I'll keep browsing the MOC's and narrow it down to one or two that I'm really interested in and then send you a message.

Thanks once again, Nickram

18 hours ago, Simon said:

Hi, Nickram.

I understand the problem - if it's only a few MOCs, then post the MOC-numbers (or links to the MOC pages), and I will download the lxf files and run the instruction generator to pdf files, and upload them (temporarily) to my bricksafe account. I'll then post the links and you can down load the pdf's. I presume your Chromebook is capable of downloading and viewing pdf files.

Take care,

Simon

If you go through that trouble why not attach it to the MOC, they can have multiple instructions sets and I can't imagine any author mind that assuming it's a free MOC and it's attached to their MOC entry.

That's a good idea, and I probably will do that, but honestly, I feel adding a PDF to an LDD model ought to be the responsibility of the MOC designer. After all, if you are capable of downloading and installing LDD, and you can create a nice looking model with that; then you are surely capable of clicking the Instruction Generator, saving the html to your harddisk, which automatically opens in your browser; and as far as I know, every modern browser can print to PDF, so it is just a matter of a few clicks and only takes a minute or so.
I really don't understand why so many MOCs only have an LDD lxf file. If you want to share your creation with others, and you want them to rebuild it, doesn't it make sense to spend a minute or two to make rebuilding a little easier?

That would certainly help people with no access to LDD, but I don't know how much work is involved in doing this.

I'm surprised LEGO don't have a web based system for this.

7 minutes ago, Simon said:

really don't understand why so many MOCs only have an LDD lxf file. If you want to share your creation with others, and you want them to rebuild it, doesn't it make sense to spend a minute or two to make rebuilding a little easier?

I must have typed my last reply whilst you were posting this. Didn't realise that it was so easy for the designer to do this. I guess it's just that people don't realise that there's people out there who don't use windows or Mac products (but we're here and growing ?)

I appreciate anybody with the skill and imagination to create MOC's and if they put a link to a PDF then that's just the cherry on top!

10 hours ago, Simon said:

That's a good idea, and I probably will do that, but honestly, I feel adding a PDF to an LDD model ought to be the responsibility of the MOC designer. After all, if you are capable of downloading and installing LDD, and you can create a nice looking model with that; then you are surely capable of clicking the Instruction Generator, saving the html to your harddisk, which automatically opens in your browser; and as far as I know, every modern browser can print to PDF, so it is just a matter of a few clicks and only takes a minute or so.
I really don't understand why so many MOCs only have an LDD lxf file. If you want to share your creation with others, and you want them to rebuild it, doesn't it make sense to spend a minute or two to make rebuilding a little easier?

I wasn't aware of it, the only LDD MOCS I have design is for the contests hosted way back. The instruction generation was quite bad and since you couldn't do much about it, I didn't go the extra mile to put the final result in a better format.  I felt like you actually needed the 3D model to get some things built right. You should add that information in the making instructions guide.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:14 PM, Simon said:

This has answered part of a question I had around LDD as I had wanted to offer PDF files as a default for my MOC's but the help section provided isn't particularly great, glad I can now do it.

My other question is around the order it generates the steps in the instructions as my first MOC I did, didn't follow the order I placed the bricks in the designer and seems to use a weird order. if anyone could give me some guidance that would be gratefully received.