Fidelio

Sourcing Lost Parts from a set's Spare Parts

Question

Hi everyone!  The spare parts that come with new sets are ideal for replacing arbitrary lots parts; I'd like to be able to search my loose and spare parts for any other parts that I've marked as lost.  What is a good way to manage inventory to accomplish this?

I currently manage one set list for all of my sets, and one parts list for loose parts.  The loose parts list are strictly loose parts -- not the spare parts included with an arbitrary set.  When I view the part summary of a lost part, I can see if it appears in my loose part list or any of my sets.  However,  I can't tell if the lost part is a spare part without checking each of the sets that it appears in.

I though I might make finding lost parts easier by creating a new parts list for all of my sets' spare parts.  This works, but unfortunately adds the list's parts to the total owned parts giving an inaccurate count/value.  Not ideal, but usable.  Furthermore, I tried using a custom parts list and while these parts don't get added to the global total, the custom parts list doesn't show up in the part summary for searching.

I suppose I could also abandon using one set list and create part lists for each set.

Any suggestions how I can approach this?  I suspect I'm overlooking something straightforward!  Perhaps a feature request to show a system-managed "Spare Parts from Sets" list in the parts summary might be useful to several users.

5 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Fidelio said:

Hi everyone!  The spare parts that come with new sets are ideal for replacing arbitrary lots parts; I'd like to be able to search my loose and spare parts for any other parts that I've marked as lost.  What is a good way to manage inventory to accomplish this?...

My understanding is spare parts do not count towards your total parts count. So if you inventory spare parts in a separate parts list it will not duplicate the part in your total. I may be wrong about this and would love to know if I am!

When I get a new set I first search my lost parts to see if I can use a spare part somewhere else. If not I add the spare part to my loose parts. 

I essentially ignore the spare part section on the sets inventory. 

Spare parts tend to be a little useless though as they are usually just a handful of types of parts, small plates, tiles, etc...

2 hours ago, Fidelio said:

I thought this might be the case too, but I tested this quickly by duplicating a set in my set lists.  The global part count went up by the total number of pieces in the set, plus the set's spare parts.

On a side note, I think I can leverage the custom list functionality after all.  All I need to do is copy the spare parts into a custom list, then keep the list open in a separate browser tab when looking for replacement lost pieces.  I think this will work quite well, albeit knowing to look for the spare parts in the custom list.

On your sets list if you click the setting/Edit icon on a set the pop up gives you the option to ignore the spares. This should remove them from your parts count.

My suggestion would be to create a list for you spare parts, add them there and uncheck the box that says you have the spare parts for your sets. I does mean you'll have to check every sets one by one but I think it would work well.

2 hours ago, jaredhinton said:

My understanding is spare parts do not count towards your total parts count. So if you inventory spare parts in a separate parts list it will not duplicate the part in your total. I may be wrong about this and would love to know if I am!

I thought this might be the case too, but I tested this quickly by duplicating a set in my set lists.  The global part count went up by the total number of pieces in the set, plus the set's spare parts.

On a side note, I think I can leverage the custom list functionality after all.  All I need to do is copy the spare parts into a custom list, then keep the list open in a separate browser tab when looking for replacement lost pieces.  I think this will work quite well, albeit knowing to look for the spare parts in the custom list.

14 hours ago, jaredhinton said:

The spares are counted in your total parts. Whit the build calculation, they are also used in your supply. They are not counted as needed to build a set