Pioneer4x4

List of rare Unprinted pieces?

Question

Is there a way to find out what parts are super rare in certain colors, as in actually owned?  

I know for example I have 6 of these in sand green.  It was only made for 1 set (I have 2 complete sets with extras).
https://rebrickable.com/parts/6141/plate-round-1-x-1-with-solid-stud/378/

Hard to imagine that a single 1 stud plate is worth $5...  (I have bought 2 just to complete the spares at maybe $2 or so...)

BUT if that set is one that 100,000 people have, it really isn't "rare". 

Since Rebrickable has a completes list of all of it's users sets, can you get reports on how many are reported to be owned?  I realize this is by no means accurate, but the percentages should be close.
If you pick the same part in say Black, and there are 500,000 reported and in Sand Green there are 127, you know it actually IS rare.  But if something is in only 2 common sets, like maybe a medium sized Millennium Falcon, but almost everyone that collects Star Wars has it, it might actually be quite common.

Edited by Pioneer4x4

5 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Vokhev said:

I saw that we can see the position but not the number. For example, we know it's the 150th most owned set but no that 2000 people own it. It's too bad, the second number would be more representative.

You can always put in a suggestion for it. Maybe (when he has the time) Nathan can create a system that counts the total amount of a part (number in set x number of sets) as an index of rarety.

Rare parts on rebrickable is if a part is only in three or less sets in that particular color/print combo. I doesn't deal with how many that bought or own the sets.

The only way to spot those in your collection is to look for the " rare color" in the corner of your part collection. There is no filter to show only those so you will have to manually browse your collection.

There is no official way to do this on rebrickable (yet?). An option is to look at the set the part is in. In the set info is mentioned on which spot the set is listed in the most-owned-sets list. That gives an indication of how popular the set is.

1 hour ago, TobyMac said:

There is no official way to do this on rebrickable (yet?). An option is to look at the set the part is in. In the set info is mentioned on which spot the set is listed in the most-owned-sets list. That gives an indication of how popular the set is.

I saw that we can see the position but not the number. For example, we know it's the 150th most owned set but no that 2000 people own it. It's too bad, the second number would be more representative.

2 minutes ago, TobyMac said:

You can always put in a suggestion for it. Maybe (when he has the time) Nathan can create a system that counts the total amount of a part (number in set x number of sets) as an index of rarety.

Sounds like a plan.  I will try to remember to do that.