seejay

Adding parts to a new custom lists adds to existing list instead

I've been using Rebrickable for a few weeks and really enjoying it.  I work in web dev, so I understand how hard it can be to build and maintain something like this.  I think you've got the balance of simplicity with powerful features just about perfect for the AFOL audience.  Well done!

I've been using the "add parts to list" function over the last few days, but as of last night, I started encountering this bug consistently.  I've replicated the bug in Chrome, then again in an incognito window in Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10.   I've also replicated it in Firefox 64 (64 bit). 

To replicate the bug:

1. Build this MOC.
  2. Click "Add missing parts to list"
  3. Select "My Custom List"
  4. Click "+ New List"
  5. Enter a name (I've tried different names to be sure it wasn't related to some zombie entry in my custom lists  or a problem with a character in the list name).  
  6. Click "Add Parts"

Result:  I get the "parts added successfully" message, but no new list is available in My Custom Lists  AND the parts are added to the first of my existing custom lists

I'm attaching a screen cap of the setup at step 5. 

21-Jan-19 11-08-14 AM.jpg

Edited by seejay

To be sure: the radio button of Custom List is selected I assume? It's standard on Part List.

Yes, in step 3 I'm selecting the radio button for "My Custom List".  The first time I had the bug, I was sure that was my mistake, but that's not it.  Happy to jump on a screen share to demonstrate if you're having trouble reproducing.  

Hi, seejay, welcome to the forum!

Could it be that you already have 10 custom lists? As you can see in this Help page, for a Free Member the maximum number of Custom Lists is 10. Obviously, it would still be a bug if the system didn't report this to you, but it might also be the most simple explanation.

Take care,
Simon

50 minutes ago, Simon said:

Could it be that you already have 10 custom lists?

Good thought, Simon, but I only have 3 custom lists at the moment. 

I can confirm that I've also had this issue myself.  The only way to consistently not have it fail, is to create a new list in a separate window and not as part of the button create at the time, but then select it from the drop down.  I'm not sure if it has to do with what order in the list the new list becomes, but I continually corrupt existing lists when trying to add to new list without doing this.

I've found and fixed this bug, thanks for the easy to follow steps :)

Great!  Tested and confirmed. Where's the close ticket button?  😉 Thanks for fixing. It's a handy feature.