Nathan

Moc Alternate Build Competition (Oct 2013)

As per my blog post:

Rebrickable will be hosting a month-long competition to encourage the submission of some great new MOCs. The nature of Rebrickable is to promote re-using your LEGO parts to build new stuff so this competition will focus on Alternate Builds. An Alternate Build is a MOC that uses only the parts from a single official LEGO set.

For this round, the set chosen is 6866-1 - Wolverine's Chopper Showdown. If you do not have this set, feel free to buy it via the Rebrickable links to help sponsor this competition! Or, you can make a purely digital model if you prefer.

Submit your Alternate Build MOCs via the Submit A MOC menu during the month of October 2013. At the end of the month, a poll will be taken in the forums to determine which MOC is the favourite.

Remember that all MOCs on Rebrickble must have building instructions when you submit them. These can be LEGO Digital Designer files, or simply step-by-step photos of the construction. If you need somewhere to host the files, you can use my other site Bricksafe to host them for free.

Don't forget to indicate the MOC is an alternate build of 6866-1 when you submit the MOC. Also please check that there is a 100% match for your parts to make the approval process easier. Click the link "Check Alternate Parts" which will attempt to build your MOC using only the set 6866-1. This should show 0 parts missing.

altbuild.png

The winner will receive a gift certificate from their choice of either Amazon or eBay for the equivalent of AU$100 in their currency of choice.

Rules:

1. The MOC must be your own creation.
  2. You must only use parts from the 6866-1 set, including spare parts is ok.
  3. You must have submitted your MOC before 31st October.
  4. Submissions can be talked about on the forum during the month, but voting will not start until EOM.
  5. Voting will take place from 1st to 7th November.
  6. A maximum of two submissions per designer will be considered for voting (the designer needs to nominate which two if they submit more).

I hope this will become the first of many monthly competitions. Future rounds and prize money will be determined by the success of this one.

Entries so far:

1. MOC-0927 - Wolverine Airlift (by David Luders)
  2. MOC-0929 - Wolverine Cargo Cablecart (by biodreamer)
  3. MOC-0931 - Transformer with Hovercraft (by biodreamer)
  4. MOC-0939 - Magnetos Drone Tank (by marinod1310)
  5. MOC-0949 - Stumpy (by kjw010)
  6. MOC-0971 - Merc with a Mouth (by Roqsteady)
  7. MOC-0979 - Wolfsbane (by Jason Allemann)
  8. MOC-0981 - Wolverine's Starfighter (by plastic.ati)
  9. MOC-0985 - Mutant Wars Memorial (by plastic.ati)
  10. MOC-0989 - Wolvie Skycar & Speeder (by nacha)

Other additional entries not being considered for the competition:

1. MOC-0922 - Wolverine Submarine (by biodreamer)
  2. MOC-0925 - Fast food trailer (by biodreamer)
  3. MOC-0928 - Merry Go Around (by biodreamer)
  4. MOC-0935 - Sailboat with Motor (by biodreamer)
  5. MOC-0982 - Superheroes' Powerboats (by plastic.ati)
  6. MOC-0986 - Venom-class Destroyer (by plastic.ati)
  7. MOC-0987 - Spongepool Deadpants' Turbo Racer (by plastic.ati)

Update: The winning entry was MOC-0971 - Merc with a Mouth by Roqsteady!

I just had to give some bloke on ebay some money for a 6866. Oh noes, moar Lego!

EDIT:- This is fully buildable in LDD, but you need to substitute Wolverine's claws with 88811, and Magneto's helmet with something like 48493.

I've made a model for LDD available here. It's based on the one on Eurobricks by Prateek, with some minor fixes, and the spares included for a full set.

LEGO's official part count is 199 for this set, they count the motorbike and chassis as one part, and also something else I can't work out!

I think the contest is to limited. I am not going to buy a set just because it's in a challange, not that this is a bad set to own. you may need to add a feature to allow combined alternate builds. So there is more diversity and allow none spotlighted set to be used aswell. This site shouldn't be about selling sets, it should be about using what you got in diffrent ways.

Then don't buy the set, use the LXF file theskirrid just created, or don't participate and see what others come up with. Personally, I don't think it's too limited at all. There are dozens of great one-set alts already in the database and they are very popular exactly because a lot of people already have the parts conveniently in one place. If the choice of set makes it challenging, the all the better.

There's nothing stopping anyone from submitting combined alternate builds, and of course NK has his Supercar, but there's no special code to identify them as such. The additional complexity isn't worth it.

I'm a bit disappointed you think this site is about selling sets. Yes I make a profit from running this site (if you ignore the time I spend on it), and to thank everyone for that I am spending a big chunk of it on prize money for this competition. I force myself to not post blogs every second day about current LEGO sales and double VIP points etc, despite knowing it would bring in more money - precisely because I do not want to be like everyone else and just be in it for the money.

You can't please everyone and I have to start somewhere, so let's see how this first competition goes and what the general consensus is for the next one.

Done, a wolverine submarine ready for contest. However I get internal server error when trying to upload it to bricksafe.

You can't please everyone and I have to start somewhere, so let's see how this first competition goes and what the general consensus is for the next one.

ARRRGHHH!  Why did you have to pick THIS SuperHeroes set?  I just bought an Ironman and 2 Spiderman sets to include in my 30 years project, not because "I" like the SuperHeroes theme, but because kids do.  I picked those sets because they each have a structure in them with pieces I will find useful, but they are larger and wouldn't have qualified for your contest.

A lady's point of view:  I finished with the "dark red" part of my life 4 years ago.  I don't like building with dark red pieces.  Possible Solution: Don't use the dark red pieces from this set in my build.  Most of the time, Alternate Builds don't use ALL the pieces included anyway.

Now for the positive stuff.  The simple fact that you have created this site overrides anything negative I might expressPeriod!!!( and yes pun intended)  "Nuff said!!

I noticed a fault in this model, which never would have happen if i could build it for real. I will fix it and upload a new version tomorrow.

Please note there seem to be a few parts in the LXF file that are not in the real set which means the submissions so far might need slight tweaking. I'll let you know when we have it sorted out.

Yeah, I fixed as much as possible, LDD is a pain with it's limited parts supply, but good for it's simplicity.

I did tweak my submission, i just hope you guys picked pieces that work the same way, ie the claws and wheel holder, so they aren't unbuildable because of it. I just change those with the part picker during submission.

Tip next time you do a prepared .lxf for a contest please take the model apart. I spend quite some time picking it apart and sorting it, before I could start to build.

Tip next time you do a prepared .lxf for a contest please take the model apart. I spend quite some time picking it apart and sorting it, before I could start to build.

There was zero preparation on my part, I had no prior knowledge and grabbed an approved official model LXF from Eurobricks, checked it looked OK, and had the right part count, added the spares and posted it.

Re-built from scratch before bed, re-upped, ready! I thought I'd save some work, but Meh.

It was just a thought on my part to help non-set-owners to take part.

LXF is now fully correct for import, except for minifig prints. Everything else is correct.

Next time we do a contest [and this is the first ever] we might have some prep work, but Nathan thought this was a good idea and went for it. I thought I'd back him up.

You're welcome by the way.

This set is easy to build with: What is a more fitting end scenerio then the merry go around at the local tivoliMerrygoaround.jpg

I just noticed that the .lxf is containing 2 pieces of 1x1 black plates, that doesn't exist in 6866-1 inventory. I have used them in all my recreations. 

so either the file is incorrect or the set inventory on rebrickable. So 

theskirrid has work todo either way.

The LXF had to be updated, I redid it from scratch, there's no 1x1's in black.

I tried to save time and effort and it failed. :(

well I am not going to redo the ones I have uploaded. I have downloaded the newer one and there is several quite basic bricks that has changed. enough to require quite a redesign. Ps the inventory show two small propellers in the set the new only got one. the chopper is missing one on one side. fault from your side?

well here is a cargo cablecart made with the new .lxf.    It was a good set you can build quite diffrent things with it. :D

wolverine_cargocablecart.jpg

well I am not going to redo the ones I have uploaded. I have downloaded the newer one and there is several quite basic bricks that has changed. enough to require quite a redesign. Ps the inventory show two small propellers in the set the new only got one. the chopper is missing one on one side. fault from your side?

Oh God, I fail at life. Prop added. Sigh. That's what you get for trusting someone elses model and then making one from scratch at 4am, I won't be doing that again.

But at least we have a month. Nice cable car too.

When using the LXF file there will still be some errors because the exact parts from 6866 are not available in LDD. If you use the LXF file you will still get errors on these parts all of which can be easily fixed:

* 10305 (should be 10305pb01)

* 30173 (should be 30173b)

* 3626b (should be 3626cpb707 and 3626cpb709)

* 4589 (should be 4589b)

* 50859 (should be 50859b)

* 88811 (should be Flat Silver)

* 970c03 (should be 970c00pb189)

* 970c05 (should be 970c00pb152)

* 973c01 (should be 973pb1100c01 or 973pb1104c01 or 973pb1105c01)

Most of the issues are with the minifigs, so feel free to remove them from the models.

Due to the confusion this is causing, I think next time I will disallow digital models.

Also, new rule - only two submissions per user will be considered for voting. I don't think it's fair that anyone who starts earlier than others and submits more entries gets more of a chance. Of course you can submit more, but then nominate which two you think should be used.

Aslong as I can do that in the end of the month, it's fine. Right now I can cross off the fast food trailer. it's the one I am least happy with so far.

Transformer%20(1).jpg

Okay here is my second entry with correct inventory. It's a transformer, that can walk. if you pull it's leg and remove the bulk beneath the controlcabin.

then either put the legs inplace of the swords for a aircraft (angle the feet to form longer wings)

This allows you to rotate the wings so the propeller is either facing up or front, so it's a mix between chopper and aircraft.

or put them in the back with the wheel downwards and you got a truck capable of taking that bulk and hovercraft with it on the road.

the control cabin alone can work as a small submarine.

well that's in theory/logic without owning the set I can't  build it to verify, so please build it and give me feedback. I want to know if some minor adjustments is needed.

The other two forms: If you can't decide what to build, make them all in one  :lol: . I think you can see the cockpit as a submarine without pictures right.

Transformer_truck.jpg

Transformer_aircraft.jpg