Nathan

Moc Alternate Build Competition (Oct 2013)

Wow this is a really neat contest.

Good luck to everyone - this is going to be intersting to follow.

Not the first "alternate build contest" - but if these entries are added to the MOC list with lxf files and instructions for regular users/readers, then this is truly amazing.

Keep at it  :)

Yeah where is all the others entries :huh: . It feels like I am running this contest on my own. I have another none contest entry ready. a Boat, I will upload it later this evening.

Am I just scarying everyone away with my creativity? I have just proven that the set isn't hard to build with, and unlike I first suspected that only was going to be good for choppers and airplanes.

well that's in theory/logic without owning the set I can't  build it to verify, so please build it and give me feedback. I want to know if some minor adjustments is needed.

Saturday night we went out to dinner with family and stopped at a Target store first to buy the set.  It was on sale for 25% off, so we bought 2 of them.  Paul put his together on Sunday just the way it is on the box.  I'm working on an alternate build, but since I don't have LDD and y'all pooh-poohed my pictures, :rolleyes:  I won't be submitting it for the contest.  I'll just post a fuzzy logic picture of it. :P

If nobody else has built your "Transformer" yet, once I get the picture taken, I'll take mine apart and try to build yours.  If I run into any problems I'll send you an email. 

LDD is free of Lego's homepage, it's just download it and let it update. It has a few limitation that you don't have building in the real world. like I can't put things inside that grey bulk piece or use pins inside regular bricks, neither does it have gravity and allow you to drop pieces in place that doesn't connect. However it got advantages like you can pull pieces from a middle of a block and just replace it without tearing down the whole structure and put it back together again.

The transformer hasn't been approved yet, so no rush.

I don't think it was any thing wrong with the pictures, just the device you used to take them. (blurryness being cheap embedded hardware error). If I had used my mobile phone for the same task it would be the same horrible blurryness. I blame the device not you. I do however own a good digital camera that gives me good high resolution pictures if I am not to close to a object.

I know it's free, but I also know myself and I would spend more time on the computer trying to make my LDD modulars "perfect" and less time actually building them with real LEGO bricks.

I wasn't upset about the comments about my pictures.  I warned y'all from the very beginning they would be horrible.  It isn't all the device either.  Part of it is my unsteady hands.  But that was very chivalrous of you to come to my defense.   :)

Here is the sailboat I mentioned earlier, it's not one of my contest entries but still a nice MOC.

Boat_6866.jpg

Wow this is a really neat contest.

Good luck to everyone - this is going to be intersting to follow.

Not the first "alternate build contest" - but if these entries are added to the MOC list with lxf files and instructions for regular users/readers, then this is truly amazing.

Keep at it  :)

Hi Kim! Thanks for joining the forum... you are also welcome to submit an entry if you like  ;)

Yeah where is all the others entries :huh: . It feels like I am running this contest on my own. I have another none contest entry ready. a Boat, I will upload it later this evening.

Am I just scarying everyone away with my creativity? I have just proven that the set isn't hard to build with, and unlike I first suspected that only was going to be good for choppers and airplanes.

I'm asking myself the same questions :(

There are now 8 alternates of this set, but only 6 are shown with their picture on the main page. Shouldn't there be enough space to show a small picture of all the alternate builds? One could perhaps use the full width of the page to show alternates, perhaps even in a banner like the "latest additions" on the front page.

There are now 8 alternates of this set, but only 6 are shown with their picture on the main page. Shouldn't there be enough space to show a small picture of all the alternate builds? One could perhaps use the full width of the page to show alternates, perhaps even in a banner like the "latest additions" on the front page.

Yep, was working on doing just that last night :)

Hi,

The link to the LXF file for MOC-0925 - Fast food trailer seems to be broken. It leads to a page that says, "Brick Not Found." Can that be corrected? The MOC looks really cool and I'd like to build it.

Thanks and this is a great contest.

Fixed, the instruction is horrible for this one. Not sure what LDD was thinking when it did that one I couldn't get it to behave nicely. and after I got the proper .lxf file with correct parts I didn't bother going back and try to make it build instructions correctly. Besides it doesn't scale well with the minifigs.

Regarding extra pieces. I bought this set the day before seeing this competition and it also came with an extra Katana. Usable for the contest?

Regarding extra pieces. I bought this set the day before seeing this competition and it also came with an extra Katana. Usable for the contest?

If you send in a inventory change request and it get approved before the contest is over. I see no problem. That katana won't give you much of a upper hand.

Not looking for an upper hand. Just thought I would let others know that the set does come with an extra katana. Just being fair is all.

to be honest the extra parts in a set is kind of void, unless they are used in a alternate build, they are more likely a machine/human error, just like missing parts, there can be extra parts which only occure in a small fraction of the sets. the smaller a part is the more likely that it has extra or missing parts. I can't see how it can be kept in an accurate state.

Yep, that's fine.

Also getting this error while trying to upload an LFX file to Bricksafe.

Error SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected non-whitespace character after JSON data

Also getting this error while trying to upload an LFX file to Bricksafe.

Error SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected non-whitespace character after JSON data

I can't see any obvious problems, can you please send me your file to [email protected] so I can test with it.

I can't see any obvious problems, can you please send me your file to [email protected] so I can test with it.

I uploaded my first MOC last night for this competition. I had uploaded my LFX file via speedyshare.com (Because I was not getting bricksafe to work). I havent gotten confirmation for the MOC yet though. I'm not on my home computer at the moment so I can't send the LFX file until I get back. If you look for my MOC confirmation, you can find the LFX file there for download.

Edit:

Sent the file to [email protected]

I uploaded my first MOC last night for this competition. I had uploaded my LFX file via speedyshare.com (Because I was not getting bricksafe to work). I havent gotten confirmation for the MOC yet though. I'm not on my home computer at the moment so I can't send the LFX file until I get back. If you look for my MOC confirmation, you can find the LFX file there for download.

Edit:

Sent the file to [email protected]

Thanks, I've fixed the bug now.

Finally picked up this set a few days ago.  I think this challenge is a great idea.  I've been meaning to try building an alternate model for a while now, so this gave me a perfect excuse!  I built a robot, which I call Wolfsbane.

Some of the joints aren't super strong (what a challenge using such limited parts!), but I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

J

10514846424_a50e4feb23_z.jpg

Finally picked up this set a few days ago.  I think this challenge is a great idea.  I've been meaning to try building an alternate model for a while now, so this gave me a perfect excuse!  I built a robot, which I call Wolfsbane.

Some of the joints aren't super strong (what a challenge using such limited parts!), but I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

J

10514846424_a5ecb393dc.jpg

Very cool. I like the chest area. Definitely a challenge making joints with this set. You did well. :)

Hi Everybody!

I've just joined so everything seems to be all new for me here :) There were two main reasons for me doing this, and one of them was this contest (the other one is that I really love to build one set MOCs). It's real fun to see, how different people think about the same pile of a couple of (or so) pieces of LEGO, and how the MOCs vary from time to time. This contest seem to be a very challenging and nice one, so I submitted two Alternate builds (approval pending) until now.

Good luck for the Braves!

If my "Wolverine Airlift" entry below wins the Competition, I'm going to donate the prize money to the Australian Red Cross to help people who got burned out of their homes during the recent wildfires.  My home burned to the ground during an August 1996 wildfire, and the American Red Cross helped me....   :)

6866%20Alternate%20(revision2).png