Simon

Part Molds

Greetings, Folks.

I am trying to add more information about molds and such, and, at the same time, trying to improve the layout of the part details pages. An example of such a newly update page is this: 3622 Brick 1 x 3.

Right now, I am looking at my collection of 3010/3066 Bricks 1 x 4, and I am finding the following molds:

3010 -     Brick 1 x 4
3066 -     Brick 1 x 4 without Bottom Tubes
                Brick 1 x 4 with Solid Bottom Tubes and one Cross Support
3010a    Brick 1 x 4 with Solid Bottom Tubes and one Lowered Cross Support
               Brick 1 x 4 with Solid Bottom Tubes and three Cross Supports
               Brick 1 x 4 with Hollow Tubes and three Cross Supports

I have all of these (not completely sure about 3066, but I probably have that one too).

BL reports these:
    Part 3010f3 Brick 1 x 4 Transparent with 'Frosted' Horizontal Lines
    Part 3010f1 Brick 1 x 4 Transparent with 'Frosted' Interior
    Part 3010f2 Brick 1 x 4 Transparent with 'Frosted' Vertical Lines
but I don't know how they look like, and thus, don't know if I have them.

Do any of you have images of these frosted bricks? Can you post them (and allow me to use them for a comparison image)? Do you know of any other molds, for example a 1 x4 brick with one Cross Support and Hollow Tubes?

Take care,
Simon

Edited by Simon
changed description

not sure what they mean by frosted interior. if it's just the old plastic which wasn't as clear as today's or something else

3010a is the Frosted Vertical lines one

3010 (new) is the frosted Horisontal lines one

3010 (old plastics?) is the Frosted interior or if it's when the scratches and dirt has built up so it looks frosted  

one difference between the top one that has the pip on the stud and the second one without a horisontal line is that the pip is on the side. There is of course also 3010a without vertical lines but I haven't seen that mold on the transparent ones. (I don't own one and they might not be around when sets that had 3010 in transparent was released)

Note if you do divide these into different molds you can't do it only for the transparent ones, all of them exist in opaque colors also.

Thanks for the info, Biodreamer, can I use your image, if needed?

Here's a preliminary comparison image (still need to remove shadows, clear background and add text).

Far left is 3066, followed by two versions with one cross support, the left most is lowered (this one is currently in our catalog as 3010a), the other has a single, normal cross support. Both have a side pip, so they are produced between 1963 and 1974.

The right most two have stud pips, produced after 1974. The first has solid tubes and three normal cross supports, the second (far right) has hollow tubes and three normal cross supports.

I think the right most version (hollow tubes) is the most modern, and I presume the photo sequence is in chronological order, old on the left, newest on the right. Do you agree?

For now I am not going to split parts and/or create new molds. Just researching, improving the images, text and layout of the part pages, and adding part/color photos will take at least several month, if not longer, and I want to do that first.

3010.jpg

As to mold pips...

(for those who have no idea what I am talking about: plastic injection of LEGO bricks is done using a mold of a negative shape of the part consisting of a female half (cavity) and a male half (core). The plastic is injected from one or several points in the periphery of the mold, and after being cooled, the part or parts are ejected and automatically cut free of injection matrix. A small burr will result, marking the position of the pip or pips through which the molten plastic entered the mold unit. In the above image, the two blue parts on the left have a small dot on their smallest side: those are mold pips.)

I don't think that a change in mold pip position warrants the creation of a new mold.

As far as I know, mold pips occurred on the edge of parts between 1949 and 1963; then in the middle of the shortest side between 1963 and 1974, and since 1974 on one or more of the top studs. That means that for many parts there are at least two, sometimes even three different technical mold versions, all simply on the position of the mold pip. Furthermore, after 1974, when the mold pips were on top studs, the actual stud or studs where the mold pip occurs have changed, going from outside studs to inside studs, or the other way around. We might actually need to double our part catalog just to account for these technical changes, which have no effect at all on the usability of the part, except for aesthetics.

In my opinion mold pips are alike the kind of LEGO logo, and the occurrence of pat. pending on the inside - those features are really interesting for dating purposes, but they have nothing to do with part identification, and should therefor not be considered as cause for new mold creation within Rebrickable's catalog.

well 3066 would be moved to 2nd spot with one or both  version of 3010a before it, the one with vertical support being the oldest and the one without being newer. (not in your image) and then the fourth should be last since that is what is in use now right, or maybe it should be on both sides.

Edited by biodreamer

do you have an image of a 1 x 4 non-transparant brick without cross support? Preferably in a similar viewing angle as the image above? Just asking -smile-

No but I went through my mold a bit quick and tried to make a timeline pic. Turn out I had to move them around three times.

DSC_0030.JPG

This is my best version in chronological order. where the first has pat. pend., first three has pip on the side the remaining four on the stud.

should be a 3066 with pip on the stud further down the line but unless you intend to divide upon that fact I left out trying to figure out where it should go.

the transparent above is no 5,1,2 compare to this picture.

Edited by biodreamer

Thanks, bio, that is a good photo - I am going to use that!

Today I need to fix some problems with part notes that seem to have gone missing, will continue tomorrow...

Some feedback on the new layout. it's really good to have that table but I would fix the width to the column and the length to the row and create a triangular-rectangle table. instead of this double up much larger square table. That way you can fit all bricks with the same height in. not sure if you intend to add smaller tables for 2,3 and 5 high bricks or if you only do those when looking at a brick with higher height. and what about the corner bricks?

This certainly makes the site easier to navigate for people who doesn't know the part numbers by heart.

so in case of bricks width should be 1,2,4,8,10,12 and length 1,2,3,4,6,8,10,12,16,18,20,24 so we end up with a 6x12  triangle shaped matrix  

plates would have the larger 1,2,3,4,6,8,16 by 1,2,3,4,6,8,10,11,12,14,16,24 so we end up with 7 x 12 here. so these sizes are the largest tables you end up with.

Bio, thanks for the feedback on the quicklink table I introduced in 3005 (and a few others).

That feature is currently being evaluated; some of my fellow admins felt it makes the part page somewhat crowded, which I have to agree with, but I also think that for newbie LEGO fans this makes finding parts much easier.

So firstly, to anyone who reads this, please check out that new table in 3005, and tell us what you think of it. Should we keep it? Should it be removed?

As to "triangle shaped matrix", we don't have full html functionality for displaying the part names; we only have a basic bbcode editor, so I very limited in my options to improve the page layout. Right now, a basic table is the best I can do. Maybe, in the future, we get some fold-out functionality, and then I can create larger tables with all the length options you mentioned; but for now, I have to settle with a smaller table showing the most commonly used bricks.

If I get more positive feedback on this new feature, I will add more tables for plates, technic brick, beams and axles, and such.

what I mean with triangle based is that you leave the duplicated entries blank so it looks like a triangle. so 1x* stays in column 1 and do not span row 1 beyond first entry.

like this

3004 3003

3622 3002

3010 3001

3009 2456 2356

3008 3007           4201

6111 3006 6212           733

6112           4202

2465                     4204

Edited by biodreamer

Maybe you guys can move it to the right side since all basic bricks will have the same table. it's not really specific to this particular part rather to the part category subgroup. and use images not only numbers.

Edited by biodreamer