emommsen

Please help me submit a change request for kit 7051-1

I'm too much of noob to the site to be able to submit a change request.  However, kit 7051-1 Tripod Invader lists two incorrect part numbers:  60470a and 3747b should both be the black versions of this part number instead of the navy blue color.  I've attached a photo from the original 2011 instruction manual that own which lists these parts as 4556158 and 374726 respectively.  I just signed up for the pro membership so I can modify the colors in my own kit list, but I thought I would try to contribute to the site.  If there's something I'm not understanding about these parts please let me know.  Thanks for anyone that can help!  

IMG_20190216_203239.jpg

To submit a CR go to the set that has the error. Scroll down until you see the change request button on the right (it’s right at the bottom) and give as detailed instructions as you can. Use rebrickable part numbers and colors otherwise things get confusing. And let us know how you know it’s wrong, for example this one would be “Source: I own this set and it’s in the instruction manual”

i will sort this one out no problem, but you miss out on the points of you don’t do crs through the website, if that’s something you’re into. 

Hope that helps,

jared

So I just looked at the set and both the parts you said are already in black, so not sure what you’re seeing. Please SS if you are seeing Dark Blue

9 hours ago, jaredhinton said:

So I just looked at the set and both the parts you said are already in black, so not sure what you’re seeing. Please SS if you are seeing Dark Blue

Thanks a bunch!  I'm only level two right now so the site will not let me hit the change request button.  I've attached a screen shot of what I'm seeing.

Screenshot_20190217-091020.png

Jared, allow me to answer this...

Hi, Emommsen.

I think I understand your problem. Please hover with your cursor over the two parts that you think have the wrong color: the popup should say "in Black". In other words, the inventory is correct; but the images are slightly off.

It's a problem I am already working on: most of our images for modern parts are element images, and we get them directly from LEGO. However, for older parts there are no element images, and then we try to use LDraw images, which we render ourselves. And the problem is, that the black color of our LDraw images is slightly bluish, while LEGO's element images in black are almost completely de-saturated, and look much more dark gray(ish).

So in your screenshot almost all parts are in black, and only the two your mentioned have LDraw images with a different kind of black, that looks a bit bluish.

I guess most people don't even notice this; I did, and I am trying to improve on this, but to get all those new LDraw images online we need some new hardware, so it could take a few month.

I hope this solves your problem, if not, please let me know.

Take care,
Simon

Thanks for the explanation!  I have modeling/rendering experience if that would be helpful in any way.  I also use to work in a machine shop so I have CAD experience as well though I've never heard of LDraw before today.  If there's any way I can help contribute let me know.  My apologies for the unnecessary post, and thanks again for taking the time to explain the situation.

You're welcome.

To be sure, your question did make me check the black parts I newly rendered. Below the  current image for 3747b, slightly bluish, and only 250x250px; and the new image, four times as large (500x500) and with a different camera position.

On my monitor the new color looks better, but it is good to show it, and see if others (with other monitors) agree.

3747b-old.png

3747b.png