StephenB76

Using Stickers in MOC's

Question

Hi All,

I'm new to the community and to the idea of MOC's, however have several that I am going to work on and wondered what other MOC designers thought around using stickers in their designs. several of my ideas would benefit from the use of stickers, however I am also not sure what the best way would be of generating the stickers.

if you have had any experience with this and possibly know of good ways to get the stickers, I would be grateful to ear from you.

Many Thanks

3 answers to this question

Well as long as you include the sticker sheet in the instruction and allow it to printed on white sticker paper, ie you can't print white or expect user to get their hand on transparent plastic that is printable with your home printer. Your other option is to reuse official sets stickered parts.

I had thought if I did them that I would look to include it at the back of the instructions, just wasn't sure how to print them as the brick size and shapes can vary and would want to make it as easy as possible for them to be printed and placed.

Brick size and shapes doesn't vary. they are exactly those you design the sticker for. if you print a A4 it will always be the same size compare to Lego brick. and that is what you can expect user to have in their printer. and when it comes to stickers you should expect the user that bothers to print them to use cheap label sticker paper and design according to that. Simply stick to normal paper when designing and trying out the scales or to find the best background color that fit the color the sticker should be applied to etc. However I am quite positive that different printers will cause slightly different colors so don't be to picky, it's bound to be inexact at the user end unless they have the same printer as you.

Word has measurements in cm. and you can measure your bricks to scale the images exactly that way.

So step one Design your sticker in your favorite image/photo/vector software (keep image ratio and resolution in mind) then layout the sticker sheet in pdf or word document together with the rest of the instructions it's here you pick the scale while keeping the ratio locked, so it's better to have to high resolution and scale it down here then having to upscale it.