xadrian

Too Small For Premium?

I've put up about 36 MOCs so far, all Microfighters.  Up until yesterday they were free, but I decided to set them all at $1.  It's pretty cheap, they're small models.  I don't know that anyone's actually built any yet so I have no way of knowing.

Anyway, today was the first day I actually submitted one as premium and was warned that the model was probably too small to be a premium set.  Would that stop approval?  What's the difference in getting it approved (most have been auto approved) and then changing to to premium after?

why not set it up as a freemium? leave the 1$ price and link the instrction in the description. so you can get money fro the design if people want to support you.

Hi, Xadrian;

You are right, we are going to demand a certain complexity for Premium MOCs. I am not sure if it is already implemented, but there will be a minimum part limit, probably, I think, around about 100 parts. The actual number could be different, I don't have those details.

The reasoning is as follows: some years ago, Premium MOC usually were very complicated builds, consisting of thousands of parts, and to create good instructions for such builds takes month of work. Obviously, the designer want to be compensated for his/her work, and offers the MOC as Premium.

Over the last six month, however, we have seen an increase of small and simple Premium MOCs, some even with 50 parts or less, and almost all of then with automatically generated Studio instructions.
At the same time, MOC designers were requesting a donation feature, to allow builders to support their work, even with small and simple MOCs, and because Rebrickable doesn't have such a donation system, we saw large amounts of cheap and simple Premium MOCs.

So right now, we are implementing a minimum part limit for Premium MOCs.

A month or so ago, I suggested a Freemium solution, where the MOC designer offers the instructions for free, but also creates the possibility for buying the instructions, if builders want to support the designer. In your case, that will not work, for to offer a MOC as Freemium, it has be Premium with an additional link to the free instructions.

So I would suggest that you keep your MOCs free as they are now, and add to the descriptions that you would like to upgrade your MOCs to Freemium. If enough MOC designers do the same, and a search for Freemium results in hundreds of MOCs, I am convinced Nathan will implement such a feature, and for Freemium MOCs there doesn't have to be a minimum part limit.

Take care,
Simon

2 hours ago, biodreamer said:

why not set it up as a freemium? leave the 1$ price and link the instrction in the description. so you can get money fro the design if people want to support you.

Not sure how that would work.  Would you set up a $1 paypal link in the description.  Ideally I'd almost rather have a tip jar or something.

22 minutes ago, Simon said:

So I would suggest that you keep your MOCs free as they are now, and add to the descriptions that you would like to upgrade your MOCs to Freemium. If enough MOC designers do the same, and a search for Freemium results in hundreds of MOCs, I am convinced Nathan will implement such a feature, and for Freemium MOCs there doesn't have to be a minimum part limit.

Is it possible to have one of the external links go to a PayPal (or equivalent) donate thing?  I don't mind having them up for free, they were originally, but if people would like to support continued models it'd be nice.  Or is just asking for a Freemium mechanic in the description the best way to handle it?

4 minutes ago, xadrian said:

Is it possible to have one of the external links go to a PayPal (or equivalent) donate thing?

I don't think that will work, but obviously, you can put anything you want in the description of your MOC. I'd rather see a Rebrickable based solution, but I admit, I am biased. -smile-

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I don't think that will work, but obviously, you can put anything you want in the description of your MOC. I'd rather see a Rebrickable based solution, but I admit, I am biased. -smile-

Yeah, I'd rather that too.  Thanks for the input!

It's not that the MOC will directly be rejected when you submit it. It's more as a warning system to:
a) Check if your inventory is actually complete. Especially a first time it can be tricky to make an inventory.
b) Rethink if you want it to be a premium MOC. We often get small submissions, where you can easily reverse engineer the build just by the main photo. (in the old system with self-hosted instructions, there was a starting fee, independent of how many copies you would sell. So submitting a MOC that clearly wouldn't sell was not smart)
c) An extra reminder for the admins to check if everything went OK with the submission.

Well I don't see why you would by something like that you got the inventory and the picture those two will add up to a complete build for free, it's like a puzzle you can buy the solution for.