seejay

Allow subtraction of parts from a list via the parts search interface

Question

I often want to subtract parts from my "loose parts" list and add them to another list that is the inventory of a build I have (something that isn't a moc or set).   Adding the parts to the new list is easy from the search interface in the modal dialog that comes up when clicking on a search result.  However, I'd like to be able to subtract parts from here also.    The only way to do it (that I have found so far) is to go into the loose parts list, filter by color and/org type, find the part and edit it. 

The modal _will allow_ negative numbers to be set, but when submitting, it returns a "part not added" error.   

I'm attaching a screencap of the dialog I'm talking about, with a "-4" parts to be added

05-Mar-19 1-40-17 PM.jpg

7 answers to this question

A further thought on this.  The use case I've described could be met by having the "edit this part" tab (available in the part summary dialog accessed from a user's part list) available from the color-specific part page.  Currently only the "Sets" and "MOCs" tabs are available there.    I've attached a screenshot to show what I mean.  Thanks for considering it!

11-Apr-19 6-57-32 AM.jpg

I think you can close this suggestion.  I'm not sure if the function was there when I made this ticket or not (most likely it was and I had just not seen it), but it is now possible to go from the "my parts" tab in the pop up dialog on a search result and click on the part count for a particular color.  That re-opens the pop up for the specific color clicked and there is an "edit this part" tab available.   It seems like one more click than absolutely necessary, but it lets me do the workflow described in the initial post above. 

No, the feature wasn't there back then. I suggested those links just a few weeks ago and Nathan implemented them very quickly :)

Thanks Vokhev.  That makes me feel better about my powers of observation.   And it's a fairly tidy solution to the problem.   And thanks to Nathan and team for implementing them.   --cj

Posted (edited)

I started using this new feature recently for the same purpose: Aggregate the parts for a custom build from a bunch of part lists into a new part list.

To do this, I effectively move a certain number of pieces (but not all of them) from one list to another, by adding that number of parts to the new list, and then editing the number of parts in the old list (computing the new total in my head or a calculator).

Do you think this use case of moving pieces between part lists comes up often enough to warrant a new UI feature?

I would even like to see this as a bulk function, for moving several parts from one list to another, but not all pieces of each selected part. So I would need to somehow enter the desired number of moved pieces per selected part.

Or what other approaches can you think of? Maybe some export-import based way, where I edit the desired numbers to be subtracted from one list and added to another list in a CSV file?

Edited by sirjective1

Sirjective1, I agree with you.  I'm using the new links on the "my parts" tab to effectively move parts from one list to another but it is error prone and requires some mental juggling as you note.   That new feature is definitely an improvement (thanks Nathan!) over the workflow I described in the initial post of this thread, but still a bit awkward, and slow if working on a bunch of parts.  

My solution (for when I want to move more than a couple of parts) has been to enter my desired changes in a spreadsheet (list name, part number, color, and change in quantity for each change I want to make) and use a python script to make the changes via the RB API.  Hacky, but it works, and basically does what you are suggesting with your CSV solution. 

I'd be happy to see something in the interface that makes these kinds of moves easier. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, seejay said:

My solution (for when I want to move more than a couple of parts) has been to enter my desired changes in a spreadsheet (list name, part number, color, and change in quantity for each change I want to make) and use a python script to make the changes via the RB API.  Hacky, but it works, and basically does what you are suggesting with your CSV solution.

I did something very similar over the last few days: I already knew a bit about Node.js, so to learn more about it, I learned the RB API good enough to use it for moving parts. 🙂 My hacked-together script now takes a CSV file containing the desired state of a part list (e.g. exported from a custom list made from a MOC), the "target list" to be filled with the desired parts, and the lists to take the parts out of ("donor lists"), and then moves the available parts from "donor" lists to the target list using the API. It was a really good learning experience. 🙂

Edited by sirjective1