Vokhev

Message about set inventory change

Question

It would be nice to have the option to get some form of message when the inventory of a set on one of our lists is modified. We could then check to see if we need to adjust our inventory. Here are a few examples of cases this would be useful for:

I get a used set and add it to my list. I don't have spare parts but the set doesn't have spares in its inventory anyway so everything is ok. If somebody later adds spare parts, they will be added to my collection and my inventory is suddenly inaccurate.

The old building sets don't have instructions so the best way to know if you have the whole set is to check the inventory on the site. Once I have all the parts listed, I consider that I have the set and add it to a list while removing the individual parts from my parts list. But if someone later corrects the inventory of the set, I might not have the whole set anymore or at least, I need to remove the new parts from a part list to reflect what I really have.

There should be an option to not get these messages for people who don't care about this.

Ideally, the changes would be listed in the message but I don't know how fesable this is. Just getting a heads-up would already be nice.

4 answers to this question

Hi, Vokhev;

Yes, we are aware of the problem, discussed it internally a few month ago, and came to the conclusion that we need some kind of notification system for changes that influence the LEGO collections of members. However, such a system needs to be personalized, in the sense than you should be able to select, somewhere within your profile, for what kind of changes you want to be notified, how the system should deliver those notifications and on what kind of schedule (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.)

I am sure you understand that such a new subsystem can't be done with a few lines of code, this is a major upgrade, and we have to leave it to Nathan to determine the priority and to schedule it. In other words, it is in the pipe-line, but when it will arrive, we can't say.

Take care,
Simon

59 minutes ago, Simon said:

In other words, it is in the pipe-line, but when it will arrive, we can't say.

Cool. I just wanted to express the idea.

9 hours ago, Vokhev said:

I get a used set and add it to my list. I don't have spare parts but the set doesn't have spares in its inventory anyway so everything is ok. If somebody later adds spare parts, they will be added to my collection and my inventory is suddenly inaccurate.

When you add the set to a list, do you uncheck the box that says I still have the spares?  I haven't had the situation as you describe it come up, so I don't know what consequences there are for someone adding the spares later if the box is unchecked.

I uncheck it if there are spare parts and I don't have them but one wouldn't likely think of unchecking it when there are no spare on the off chance someone would add some later. It would probably prevent the problem (logically, it should) but I think most people wouldn't do that.

To be honest, this specific problem hasn't happened to me but I recently added spare parts to Dimensions sets that were already out of print and it dawned on me that I was likely affecting the inventory of other users who had these sets for 2 years. Obviously, they're not gonna check if the inventory for these sets have changed.