cadman

Using Bricksafe Building Instructions

Question

Hi , I would like to build MOC- Crawler Crane. I have followed the link to get the building instructions, installed the Studio 2 programme that is needed to view the ,IO files and as far as I can tell there are no instructions. Just a list of steps. I have downloaded both files that are on Bricksafe. I also have Lego Digital Designer but all I seem to have is a screen with the modules on it. Activating the Insgtuction part of the programme just locks my Laptop up. Have to use Task Manager to close it down. Have left it for over ann hour. Can any one help with what I am  doing wrong or if I am using the wrong programmes or need more.
Thank you

6 answers to this question

Studio.io and studio2.io is a broken program on many computers, so your most likely not doing anything wrong. I have tried that program on two of my machines after they broke it a two years ago. (it was working fine before that) One I only get a black screen, the other the mouse pointer goes behind the program and isn't rendered. So the program is unusable. MOC people should really stay away from that software or make pdf instructions after working with it, if your lucky enough to have the software run on your machine.

22 minutes ago, cadman said:

Hi , I would like to build MOC- Crawler Crane. I have followed the link to get the building instructions, installed the Studio 2 programme that is needed to view the ,IO files and as far as I can tell there are no instructions. Just a list of steps. I have downloaded both files that are on Bricksafe. I also have Lego Digital Designer but all I seem to have is a screen with the modules on it. Activating the Insgtuction part of the programme just locks my Laptop up. Have to use Task Manager to close it down. Have left it for over ann hour. Can any one help with what I am  doing wrong or if I am using the wrong programmes or need more.
Thank you

If you post a comment for the MOC, the designer will receive an email.  Explain what is happening, and maybe the designer can help you.

I checked both studio and ldd versions of the main model. Studio loads the model instantly, but as the designer explained (sort of) the model has no defined steps, so Studio can't generate an instruction PDF. You can hide all parts, and then in the parts list unhide each part to build it. Your problem doesn't seem to be with Studio itself, but with LDD.

LDD treats every parts as a single step, so the instruction generator is trying to create a 1,783 page instuction webpage. Generation itself took about 20 minutes on a 3 GHz quad-core, saving to disk another 5 minutes. Generating the PDF took 10 minutes. The resulting PDF (25,6 MB) can be downloaded here.

In general though, if you are completely new to these programs, you're better off starting with a smaller MOC to get some experience with the software. Your MOC choice has over 2,000 parts, and even with good instructions, it might prove difficult to build.

Take care,
Simon

21 hours ago, Simon said:

I checked both studio and ldd versions of the main model. Studio loads the model instantly, but as the designer explained (sort of) the model has no defined steps, so Studio can't generate an instruction PDF. You can hide all parts, and then in the parts list unhide each part to build it. Your problem doesn't seem to be with Studio itself, but with LDD.

LDD treats every parts as a single step, so the instruction generator is trying to create a 1,783 page instuction webpage. Generation itself took about 20 minutes on a 3 GHz quad-core, saving to disk another 5 minutes. Generating the PDF took 10 minutes. The resulting PDF (25,6 MB) can be downloaded here.

In general though, if you are completely new to these programs, you're better off starting with a smaller MOC to get some experience with the software. Your MOC choice has over 2,000 parts, and even with good instructions, it might prove difficult to build.

Take care,
Simon

Thank you  for your reply and taking the time. 

I will have a closer look at the pdf you did for me and see if that helps. 

I have done a few of the MOC now, but only the ones that have PDF Instructions. 

I will continue to try to get the Instructions to work, the crawler crane really grabbed me, as have a couple of other, but, .IO & .LDD files, so maybe not.

Thanks again.

Colin