Retrieverfalcon

Change of Pro Plan Payment Processor

Question

When I initially signed up for an annual Pro plan, I paid with PayPal. Since then I've came to realize there would be an advantage to using Stripe - namely the three free months I would/should have gotten for achieving Level 15 (I'm now Level 17). If I cancel my subscription in PayPal, I know I'll keep Pro features until my current payment expires. If I re-signup using Stripe, when would the billing start? Would it tack onto the end of my old PayPal subscription? Would I get the three free months? I don't mind changing where I pay but I don't want to double-pay to switch billing systems. Are there any other distinctions between using PayPal vs. Stripe other than the Level 15 bonus? 

On a side note - the plans page needs to be much more explicit on the restrictions of the PayPal option - especially since that is a much more common online payment system to many users than Stripe (which I know from backend processing but don't think of nearly as much as a payment choice). It would also be useful to have clearer instructions for switching between the two processors.

3 answers to this question

I don't give Stripe users the free 3 months either (did I give that indication somewhere?). If you are already on Pro when you hit level 15, nothing happens sorry. If everyone was 100% Stripe I would probably try harder to automate it, but dealing with the two types of payment processors complicates things too much.

3 hours ago, Nathan said:

I don't give Stripe users the free 3 months either (did I give that indication somewhere?)

Clearly I misread your intention but on the “HELP - Points/Levels/Badges” page, it says “Once you reach very high levels you can even win some prizes: Level 15 - Receive 3 months of Pro Plan for free”. There is no restriction listed about this only applying to Free users. When you announced the change of the point system in the blog (long prior to my signing up for Pro), you mentioned that existing users who were jumped past Level 15 won’t get the bonus but I read that as a one-time restriction due to the large number of impacted users. You also said “sorry, providing credits/discounts isn’t supported by PayPal” so I read this as a prize only available for Stripe-based users. 

I want to be very clear that I really appreciate all the work you’ve done on the site and the three month free is by no means a big deal for me but I think the language on the pages needs to be updated. It is misleading to imply it is a prize for being an active member of the community you’ve built and then to not provide that prize to those very people. 

So that I’m clear moving forward, would there be any reason I would want to switch from PayPal to Stripe? Also, do the prizes at Level 20 (Raffle)/25 (Pro Plan for life)/30 (About Us page) apply to users already signed up for Pro like myself?

Edited by Retrieverfalcon
Typos