xordis

Finding parts

Question

I have tried to search for this but can't seem to find the answer I am chasing.

I am wanting to enter all my sets, and a location etc, and then use the search function to find a part.
So I might be looking for a 3960 (Dish 4x4 Inverted)

I have entered my sets into a list called "Box 2". Now in this box I might have 20 ziplock bags full of lego sorted into sets.
I can then search for the part and find it, and go to my My Parts and see I have one in lime green and it's in Box 2, but I don't know which set (bag) to go find it from.

Am I missing something here or is there a better way to manage this?

search.png

16 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

I have exactly the same problem...

I can't understand, because for me that would have to be a "basic" function here in rebrickable.

When you go to "Build this Set" or "Build this MOC" there is a "Find My Parts for this Build". But that's no help for me either. There you can only find Sets, where the needed parts are in - not which part is in which set :-(

How the hell do all the people here find their parts for their MOCs?
Edited by Longshine

First of all - the main purpose of Rebrickable is to allow you to enter what you have, and then show you want else you can do with it. It is a system focused on building, not so much on storage.
People use all kinds of storage systems, and all kinds of sorting systems, and it is almost impossible to create a system that fits exactly to the way you store your parts. Which is why some people use Rebrickable's API to create their own storage system.

Now if you do want to use Rebrickable to keep track of where you stored your parts, you should first find out what the system can do, and then change your storage system to fit into that. Not the other way around, because, as I said, there are an infinite number of storage systems, and we can't support all of them.

In case of Xordis, if your box2 contains all your sets, you don't have to go to Your Parts, you can just use a Part Search, select the right color, and you'll see all the sets that include that particular part/color combination. Then deselect the Not Owned Filer and click Apply Filters. Now the set list shows you just the sets you own, and for each set, how many parts of that color it contains. If you have more boxes with ziplock bags that contain sets, you need to organize your boxes on theme, so for example Box 1 is Star Wars, Box 2 Technic and Box 3 all the others. As you can see the theme in the Owned Set list for any part, you can easily find out which box to use.

As to Longshine, if you store your parts similar to Xordis, this solves your problem. If not, give us some details.

Take care,
Simon

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Simon said:

First of all - the main purpose of Rebrickable is to allow you to enter what you have, and then show you want else you can do with it. It is a system focused on building, not so much on storage.
People use all kinds of storage systems, and all kinds of sorting systems, and it is almost impossible to create a system that fits exactly to way you store your parts. Which is why some people use Rebrickable's API to create their own storage system.

Now if you do want to use Rebrickable to keep track of where you stored your parts, you should first find out what the system can do, and then change your storage system to fit into that. Not the other way around, because, as I said, there are an infinite number of storage systems, and we can't support all of them.

Thank you for your explaination Simon. But this has nothing to do with the storage system used - it's about the database-information. Rebrickable is also a database, which knows, which sets i own and which parts they contain. Similar to the Whitepages (telephone book). Whitepages knows the city->first/lastname>phonenumber, so you can also search backwards the phonenumber and get first/lastname->city. For Rebrickable this "search" would be Partnum->Setnum->Setlist. But Rebrickable shows the Setlist only. In Xordis example something like the extension in my attached picture. Thats all i am missing - nothing about my storage system.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

In case of Xordis, if your box2 contains all your sets, you don't have to go to Your Parts, you can just use a Part Search, select the right color, and you'll see all the sets that include that particular part/color combination. Then deselect the Not Owned Filer and click Apply Filters. Now the set list shows you just the sets you own, and for each set, how many parts of that color it contains.

Thank you, that's a little workaround for some parts, but impracticable for hundreds of parts of a MOC.

search.thumb.png.d4b57d4f11fcdca428e6810b3e290946.png

Edited by Longshine

Okay, I do believe that Xordis post was about a storage problem; he/she said "I am wanting to enter all my sets, and a location etc, and then use the search function to find a part.", and that's about storage, as I understand it.

I think your problem is different, you want to build a MOC, you press the Build This MOC button, and on the Build Results page, you do see the Missing Parts, but the Owned Parts (the ones you are not missing) should also be shown, preferably in a separate Tab (Owned Parts).

Is that what you are missing (just trying to understand the problem.. -smile-)?

Posted (edited)

Is that hard to understand for someone else? Don't really know how to explain it better, because of my bad english. I tried to explain it in two posts and one picture...

And no - it's the same than in xordis example. "Box 2" is just a name for a Set List, for example "Set List 1", do you know?

Another try...

Example

I bought the Lego Set-Box X, Lego Set-Box Y and Lego Set-Box Z (X,Y and Z are Setnumbers). I store it in the original Lego Set-Boxes in my room. I tell Rebrickable, I have this Sets like that:

My Set Lists/Set List 1:

• Lego Set X
  • Lego Set Y (contains Part 3960 in Lime)
  • Lego Set Z (contains Part 3960 in Black)

Now Rebrickable knows, which parts I have and in which sets they are, because I told Rebrickable the Setnumbers - not the loose parts of the sets.

Want to build something, so I "ask" Rebrickable: "Where is my Part 3960 in Lime?".

Rebrickable knows - it is in the Lego Set-Box Y - but it tells me in the Part Summary and in the full Part Detail page: "You have some in Lime and Black and they are in Set List 1".

Why do I need to know, that they are in Set List 1? I only want to know to which Lego Set-Box I have to go to take it out of the Box. 

Why doesn't it tell me "You have some in Lime and they are in Lego Set-Box Y, and if you need more in other colors (Black), you can also go to Lego Set-Box Y?

Thats doesn't matter, if this is in "Build a MOC", in the Part Summary, or in the full Part Detail page.

Something like:

search.thumb.png.4b521555ac0e112a08b3de02f8b4f06c.png

How do you all find your parts digitally? I can't believe, that I'm the only one with that problem.

Edited by Longshine

He, man, relax.

I showed you how to do this for a single part, and you said "Thank you, that's a little workaround for some parts, but impracticable for hundreds of parts of a MOC."

So let's do the same for hundreds of parts of a MOC: in the Build Results under Find Parts to Build, there is a button called Find My Parts to Build. Press that and you'll get the BUILD SET - Find My Parts page. Press the Find Parts button, and the system will show you every part list and every set that contains one or more of the parts you need for the MOC, and for each part/color combination, it provides a quantity. You can hide sets that you want to keep, unhide sets again if needed, and each time, the system will search backwards and show you exactly where to find each and every part.

I think that solves your problem.

If I understand correctly, you want the summery in the 'My Parts' pop-up to be more specific. Not by list, but by individual set. I think technically this would be possible. But it would also involve a lot of manual labor. The build-calculator doesn't look at individual sets (or part lists). It makes a total of all your parts, and compares that with the parts in the MOC.
So after the calculation, you have to go by each part, one at the time, to see from which possible sets you can take them.

Yes that would be a tedious process and that's why I don't store parts in their sets, like most people focusing on MOCS. they sort it by parts/part category. Storing sets with their bricks is for collectors who focus on collecting sets or doing alternate builds. You might want to consider moving camp if you love building your MOCS of any kind.

what you need to do is go into the inventory open each part to go to the part details, pick the color and filter on sets you own. I guess you would know by heart where most parts are so it might not be so hard to lookup the odd ones. I am sure you could use the API to streamline this process if you have the skill to build something with that.

I think I have the process worked out. So instead of searching for the parts and finding the list, search and find the part then click on the colour and it will tell me which sets I have that it is in.

As for the comments above, I am in the same situation as Longshine, just want to find a part quickly and know which List (box) and Set (bag) it's in.

Yes I am not a MOC'er and store my parts in two ways. 

First it sorted by type and the other way is partly completed sets in bags.
I buy used bulk and complete the sets for selling.

As for my issue I have found a need for a better way of managing parts searching and want lists etc so I am in the process of building an app using the API as suggested.
So the workaround above will get me by for a while but the little app I am working on will really help when I go parts shopping or searching for parts in my sorted sets to help complete other sets.

image.png.9d85924f59e70c19d7f2fc4209d3ec65.pngimage.png.66fe9dff7030b1d64af6b38fb8cf23c2.png

Just to be sure: as I said before, you don't have to look up every part separately, in the BUILD SET - Find My Parts page you can ALL the parts you need, and ALL the part lists and ALL individual sets that contain those parts. You can't get more detail than that:

findbuild.jpg

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Just to be sure: as I said before, you don't have to look up every part separately, in the BUILD SET - Find My Parts page you can ALL the parts you need, and ALL the part lists and ALL individual sets that contain those parts. You can't get more detail than that:

Cool. That view will help as well.
The only criticism I will make of that view is it preferences sets that have the most parts for a build. 
I am going to guess if you have a set with 100 technic pins, the top 10 sets it will list will be those with lots of technic pins.

In my case I am usually chasing < 10 (usually uncommon) parts to complete a set.

As I mentioned above. I don't build/store for MOC's (just yet), but I buy bulk boxes, separate out sets, sell what gets me some money back, rinse and repeat.
For me the little app I am building using the API will help with my use case. It's really awesome that you have the API available for people to use so I thank you for that.

I have added an option to view these My Parts tables by Sets instead of by Set List if you prefer.

1 hour ago, Longshine said:

Wow, thats great!

Is it also possible to display the Setnumber (not only the Setname)? 

Done