Retrieverfalcon

Part Count Regardless Of Color

Question

Currently, at the top of the "My Part Lists" or any individual part list, it says "Showing X of Y unique parts/colors (Z total quantity)". These are all useful numbers but not the one I found myself looking for tonight. It would be useful to know how many part IDs were in my list regardless of the color aspect. I was working on reworking some storage and while such a number might not be absolutely correct for my needs (I might store some parts together or some parts may need to be split by color in my storage), it's closer to how many storage compartments I'd need than the current 1 per part per color that's reported. 

'Any chance this could be added here or, minimally, on the "LEGO Summary" page?

2 answers to this question

I agree with this. In inventories the system reports:

"There are XXX parts in this inventory, with YYY total quantity. Based on your Build Settings, you own ZZZ of them."

But XXX parts is actually XXX part/color combinations. It could be one part in XXX colors; XXX parts in one color, or anything inbetween. It would be useful to have both numbers reported:

"There are XXX parts (AAA ids/BBB colors) in this inventory, with YYY total quantity."

That info is available within the system, and it would allow the generation of some interesting statistics:

- current LEGO sets with the most different colors
    - current LEGO sets with the most different parts

To be sure, this could be used for a "part diversity index" (PDI) and a "color diversity index" (CDI); which are interesting to know for people who more interested in parts then in sets (designers? -smile-)

Good suggestion, Stephen!

Would still need part dimensions if the system should calculate storage size requirements of your parts. How many cubic meters of Lego do you have kind of statistics...