Retrieverfalcon

Error in 3003xxx Part Naming

Step 1: Search for "3003" in the Part Catalog

Step 2: Sort by Part (technically Part Name) in an Ascending direction

Expected result: Somewhere in the list, likely near the beginning but accounting for some odd-ball parts that include the characters 3003 that aren't actually a 2x2 Brick, you'd "3003 Brick 2 x 2" followed by all the multiple printed variants (3003pr0116, 3003pr0103, etc) in somewhat an alphabetized list based on part name.

Actual result:

The photo below. The first three make sense - those are new parts imported by the bot that haven't been renamed yet so they are named as "Brick 2x2..." (note the lack of spaces around the 'x'). This makes sense and is a quick and dirty way of spotting parts needing new names. Then comes one of the oddballs (30030p1). But then we get 31 bricks named Brick 2 x 2 with Black "XX" Print where XX is a number. I can't figure out what's causing these to appear early. My guess is that they have an extra space at the beginning of their names that isn't appearing on screen but is impacting sorting.

This is causing these parts to appear out of place in more robust part lists. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Side note 1 - part 3003p03 has its own error of using single rather than double quotes in its name.

Side note 2 - it would be cool if these parts actually were in numerical order somehow rather than 1, 10-19, 2, 20-29, 3, 30-31 as they appear now.

Side note 3 - if this really is an issue with spaces, a scan of the whole part catalog for this extra starting space would be useful but would have to be done by someone who can access the database directly (and a safety check to avoid it in the future would be great).

BDE530C0-6140-491C-9928-33ED8D357E1D.jpeg

15 hours ago, Retrieverfalcon said:

Step 1: Search for "3003" in the Part Catalog

Step 2: Sort by Part (technically Part Name) in an Ascending direction

Expected result: Somewhere in the list, likely near the beginning but accounting for some odd-ball parts that include the characters 3003 that aren't actually a 2x2 Brick, you'd "3003 Brick 2 x 2" followed by all the multiple printed variants (3003pr0116, 3003pr0103, etc) in somewhat an alphabetized list based on part name.

Actual result:

The photo below. The first three make sense - those are new parts imported by the bot that haven't been renamed yet so they are named as "Brick 2x2..." (note the lack of spaces around the 'x'). This makes sense and is a quick and dirty way of spotting parts needing new names. Then comes one of the oddballs (30030p1). But then we get 31 bricks named Brick 2 x 2 with Black "XX" Print where XX is a number. I can't figure out what's causing these to appear early. My guess is that they have an extra space at the beginning of their names that isn't appearing on screen but is impacting sorting.

This is causing these parts to appear out of place in more robust part lists. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Side note 1 - part 3003p03 has its own error of using single rather than double quotes in its name.

Side note 2 - it would be cool if these parts actually were in numerical order somehow rather than 1, 10-19, 2, 20-29, 3, 30-31 as they appear now.

Side note 3 - if this really is an issue with spaces, a scan of the whole part catalog for this extra starting space would be useful but would have to be done by someone who can access the database directly (and a safety check to avoid it in the future would be great).

BDE530C0-6140-491C-9928-33ED8D357E1D.jpeg

Your search is limited to 1990 to 2019.  3003 is much older than that.

5 hours ago, thea said:

Your search is limited to 1990 to 2019.  3003 is much older than that.

Good catch but not the solution to this problem. While the date being a factor would have been odd, it still includes 3003 even in that restricted range (on the picture, it's on the bottom fully visible row two before the green two eye version). That said, I just reran this same test with the dates set to 1945 to 2019 (the full range) and the results are identical. I still think this is some odd issue with the names of the offending elements. Any other ideas?

Every category needs some maintenance on part names to make them all consistent. It’s a long, slow process but we’ll get there eventually. 

You could do a search in any category and discover similar results. 

I agree and this is only truly achievable with crowd support which I try to provide where I can. However, in this case, I can't seem to figure what's broken to recommend it be corrected. I strongly suspect it is leading spaces but on the web presentation those are getting eliminated and I can't see them to be sure. Hence my forum post. Perhaps someone with more rights or a direct view to the database can confirm that is the problem. If it is, a scripted scan to eliminate similar cases (no part name for any category or part should ever start with any number of spaces or other white space) would fix some portion of these problems in one fell swoop. This one isn't so much about naming standards and consistency as it is with a incorrect name entirely (one starting with a space).

While I presented this as directly with 3003 since that highlighted it easiest, I actually first encountered this sorting my own part list when one of these numbered 2x2 bricks showed up at the very top of my bricks section ahead of every other size brick which seemed odd until I realized that if it's name was likely "<space>Brick 2 x 2..." it would always appear before any "Brick 1 x ..." entries. In the 3003 example at least its only a few rows away from correct placement. On my parts list, this is actually two pages away from correct and would easily be overlooked if I wasn't currently systematically going through that list as I redo my storage system. 

1 hour ago, Retrieverfalcon said:

While I presented this as directly with 3003 since that highlighted it easiest, I actually first encountered this sorting my own part list when one of these numbered 2x2 bricks showed up at the very top of my bricks section ahead of every other size brick which seemed odd until I realized that if it's name was likely "<space>Brick 2 x 2..." it would always appear before any "Brick 1 x ..." entries. In the 3003 example at least its only a few rows away from correct placement. On my parts list, this is actually two pages away from correct and would easily be overlooked if I wasn't currently systematically going through that list as I redo my storage system. 

Sometimes if the text is copied from another source the spaces are actually different which causes them to appear at the top of a search, I've come across this with heads recently.

I'll have a look at a couple in your example and see what happens.