Lebostein

Why the part description is not tag based completely?

Question

Posted (edited)

I wonder about the new field "material" for the parts. Another new field that not allowes multiple values. What about parts with different materials? The same problem has the field "category".

For example the new Train Motor. It has the category "Power Functions, Mindstorms and Electric" (3 things in one category, 2 of them don't apply at all) and no words about the "Train" category and no words about "Powered Up".

I would remove fixed fields like "material" and "category" and replace it with a global tag system. So the train motor can get tags like "Electric", "9V", "Train", "Powered Up", "Motor", "Plastic", "Assembled" (for assembled parts)... and parts with multiple materials (for example the technic actuator 61927b) can get tags like "Technic", "Special", "Plastic", "Metal", "Assembled"....

Edited by Lebostein

5 answers to this question

Lebostein;

material is NOT a single value field; neither are category or theme - it is just that, up to now, we have only defined single word materials, such as plastic and metal. We're still populating that field, and if needed, we can also add "plasticized cardboard" or such.

We will NOT drop the limited grouping systems (category and theme) and only use an unlimited grouping system (tags). The advantage of categories and themes is their limitation. We have 64 part categories and 161 set themes, and each part and set has to belong to one of each of them. A "Powered Up Train Motor" clearly fits the category description "Power Functions, Mindstorms and Electric", and I think that where most people would look for it. Tags are unlimited (you can have thousands of them) and they are not useful for a quick selection using a drop down list.

Of course, an additional Powered Up tag would make sense in this case, as would a "Train" or a "Motor" tag. Do realize that you can already on each of these words, and you don't need tags for that. The words are already in the part name, and that is searchable. The question is, would our users be interested in being able to see the entire group of "Train"-related parts, or all "Motors"?

I would guess they probably are, but if we add a tag like "Powered Up", somebody has to spend a few hours to find all Powered Up related parts and tag them all, because tagging only half of them is useless - the tag is only valuable and useful if it is reasonable complete.

You can see the problem with this in the set tags; we have literally hundreds of set tags (here), and almost all of them are incomplete. It would be nice to be able to see all "Games", but for that the tag needs to be complete (all games tagged with "Games") and without that, the tag is basically useless.

We want to prevent a similar problem with part tags, so we're spending some more time trying to define which tags would be useful. When that is done, we might request the help of our users to make sure that the tags are made complete. We will keep everybody up-to-date on the developments.

Take care,
Simon

17 minutes ago, Lebostein said:

I wonder why the Tag field of most parts is empty. Is it a relatively new feature? 

Not even a new feature yet. Not officially in place. We are working on it and will let everyone know when it’s up and running. 

And that means having a fixed list of keywords; which is what we're working on... -smile-