biodreamer

Part out sets should manage to flag sets correctly when it comes to spare parts

Eh, yeah! -smile-

I am currently researching polybags and their collectors (for one of my next reviews), and although I understand that some folks keep their polybags closed, hoping they will make some money in a few years, I have seen people who actually keep the opened polybags after building the sets, and they show then as if they are *real* treasures. Humans are strange creatures, indeed!

12 minutes ago, Simon said:

Eh, yeah! -smile-

I am currently researching polybags and their collectors (for one of my next reviews), and although I understand that some folks keep their polybags closed, hoping they will make some money in a few years, I have seen people who actually keep the opened polybags after building the sets, and they show then as if they are *real* treasures. Humans are strange creatures, indeed!

I guess if you opened them carefully a less honest person could re-seal them and claim them unopened. 

Posted (edited)

It is a crazy trend to buy Lego as collectible items or to put it in the cellar as an investment... Apropo cellar: If you have bunkered Winter Village Sets from the first days, be careful. After 3-4 years the batteries in the Light Bricks (62930) goes leaky and the metal parts inside corrode with a green coating, hard to clean and the plastic parts could also be affected...

Edited by Lebostein

I agree with Biodreamer and Simon about Set vs Model. I think it's a simple way that doesn't require modifying the site and it can manage both the "inventory" and the "build" approaches.

6 hours ago, Lebostein said:

Interesting: The unused train wheel from 10254 is staged on the official LEGO photo:

https://rebrickable.com/sets/10254-1/winter-holiday-train/#parts

In that case there is no doubt that this part belongs to the set. Please remove it from the spare parts.

This is the issue. It’s there but not used. It’s part of the EID for the master part. We’ve had all these discussions before and previously always decided to leave it as a spare as it’s not used and the part count for the set already won’t match the box. 

Its the quintessential set when talking about what an inventory should be.