Lore Zyra

Feature Request: LDD file link

Question

Would be awesome if every official LEGO set had a link to the LDD file. I'd like to import it to STUD.IO to modify and create my own creations.

17 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Lore Zyra said:

Would be awesome if every official LEGO set had a link to the LDD file. I'd like to import it to STUD.IO to modify and create my own creations.

Just look here many old sets have LDD files

I sincerely hope the folks at Eurobricks don't get mad at me, but I don't like the way they organized their collection of LDD files for official LEGO sets. First, the people who create these files have to store them themselves, so they are stored in many different places, and some times the links aren't working. The Forum based interface is very slow, and it has no real search facilities (other then using Google search). And finally, they have duplicate entries for many sets, as they keep LDD files generated with older version when a newer version is added. I also presume the maintenance of those pages is very, very time consuming.

In my *personal* opinion we should not add links to those files, but Rebrickable should host the actual files. At max two files for each set, one LDD, one Studio. No need for images (we already have the set image). For each file a notes field where the submitter can report problems with the model, and a submit procedure similar to sets and inventories, so with approval of an admin. If a file for a newer version is submitted, the old version is deleted. In the set comments people can respond to the quality of the models.

In a later stage set photos could be made available, similar to MOC photos. Then people could also submit renderings of official sets.

Just my thoughts, no idea about the technical impact or the amount of additional diskspace required, but this would be my preferred solution. If you agree, let's hear it.

26 minutes ago, biodreamer said:

A bit odd order to add things, wouldn't links to instructions be more important than 3D models

Sure, but we already have those - in the side bar under instructions we have links to both Brick Instructions
and Brickset. Knowing that those PDF are much larger in filesize then 3D model, I think it makes sense to leave the PDF's to sites like LEGO itself, Brick Instructions or ToysPeriod. But I don't think the LEGO website will ever host LDD files, let alone Studio files...

Hi, Richie;

coudn't agree more -smile-

As to Eurobricks being not friendly about other sites using their files; I got mixed feelings about that. Would be very interested in hearing more opinions.

In my view: Studio is based upon LDraw, that has an OpenContent (OC) license, which means that all Studio models also have to fall under that license. Which means you may copy and distribute exact replicas of Studio models. The same applies to native LDraw models.

LDD is proprietary, and may not be used commercially. You could argue that claiming a copyright on a LDD model is a commercial use, and thus violates the LDD license. More importantly, the designs themselves are official LEGO sets, LEGO designed those things, not the person who made the LDD file. And finally, if two people build the same set in LDD, following the official instructions, both LDD models would be EXACTLY the same. So how can you even know for certain that an LDD file is yours?

What do you all think? Can LDD/Studio/LDraw models of official LEGO sets be freely copied and distributed?

Latest update is 4.3.11 brick version 2370 from January 2018 - so no updates for more then a year.

Studio has a higher learning curve, but once you master it, it is much better then LDD, I agree.

Official Lego sets don't have LDD files unless a fan has made one, so your requesting something that doesn't exist.

On 5/17/2019 at 1:33 AM, Nederbrik said:

Just look here many old sets have LDD files

Yeah, I found this too. Just thought it would be awesome if there was a direct link provided within Rebrickable for each official set.

47 minutes ago, Lore Zyra said:

Yeah, I found this too. Just thought it would be awesome if there was a direct link provided within Rebrickable for each official set.

Only 1 small problem there are a lot of them which are offline/removed by the owner, i did ask about it and that is the responsibility of the owner of the lxf files to maintain them on there own website.

Only the inventory is still there, so a direct link will cause many link errors.

6 hours ago, Simon said:

I sincerely hope the folks at Eurobricks don't get mad at me, but I don't like the way they organized their collection of LDD files for official LEGO sets. First, the people who create these files have to store them themselves, so they are stored in many different places, and some times the links aren't working. The Forum based interface is very slow, and it has no real search facilities (other then using Google search). And finally, they have duplicate entries for many sets, as they keep LDD files generated with older version when a newer version is added. I also presume the maintenance of those pages is very, very time consuming.

In my *personal* opinion we should not add links to those files, but Rebrickable should host the actual files. At max two files for each set, one LDD, one Studio. No need for images (we already have the set image). For each file a notes field where the submitter can report problems with the model, and a submit procedure similar to sets and inventories, so with approval of an admin. If a file for a newer version is submitted, the old version is deleted. In the set comments people can respond to the quality of the models.

In a later stage set photos could be made available, similar to MOC photos. Then people could also submit renderings of official sets.

Just my thoughts, no idea about the technical impact or the amount of additional diskspace required, but this would be my preferred solution. If you agree, let's hear it.

A bit odd order to add things, wouldn't links to instructions be more important than 3D models and why not just have one link for each and don't limit it to a specific instruct or 3d model file type. it would be really good to be able to add these files like you can on MOCS on regular sets/sub sets

in that case some of my old mocs should be linked that way rather than having a MOC entry. I also have some LDraw models of some small official sets.

Edited by biodreamer

16 minutes ago, biodreamer said:

in that case some of my old mocs should be linked that way rather than having a MOC entry

I was talking about sets, not MOCs. Any MOC designer can add as many links to the MOC description as they please. We can't automate that, because most MOCs do NOT have official LEGO instructions.

LDraw might be a third filetype, I agree with that.

7 hours ago, Simon said:

I was talking about sets, not MOCs. Any MOC designer can add as many links to the MOC description as they please. We can't automate that, because most MOCs do NOT have official LEGO instructions.

LDraw might be a third filetype, I agree with that.

I was reffering to these: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-0716/biodreamer/211-2-original-design-modern-print/#comments

Well, I'd pay to have someone (or group) to add those LDD/Stuid.IO files here. Not only would it be educational, but a great resource for those that want to modify an existing set for their own custom needs.I admit that EuroBricks may have some of these sets already, but it seems they are not too friendly with other online sites pulling their files. As mentioned above, it would be best to have those files hosted here.

If the Stud.IO files were made well enough, you could use it for your instructions. No need to store separate PDF files.

Are new parts supported in the LDD? I thought the program was dead?

By the way: Studio is already the better program in my eyes, and its development has just begun. Before Studio was released, I was also a big LDD fan. But Studio offers me all that and much more. Problem: The database of Studio is also incomplete. New parts like Powered up Hubs or train motors are not there yet... and there are tons of snapping bugs to fix, but it gets better with each version. But the rendering of Studio is awesome. Sometimes I can not see whether it is rendered or a real photo.

Edited by Lebostein

Studio is useless on my computers and they don't seem to have any intention to fix it even if the bugs has been around for years. and has been reported by many over and over. it simply doesn't render on some hardware. (nothing odd just standard intel and nvidia laptop chipsets) giving  (null pointer exceptions when launching the GUI elements) using a old windows framework that hasn't been updated since before windows 8 was released. Studio isn't made in a mature software development process that is for sure, seem to be run like a hobby project. 

I guess if everything is working you don't see all the issues or cause you to see when it fails. I could get it to work on my old windows 8 tablet but then the mouse pointer went behind the program so seeing what you clicked on was impossible after the windows lost focus the first time.

LDD was working it's only problem was mostly the lack of ability to manipulate the instruction creation and the number of parts available, for me it was the lack of old parts rather than new.

So I am still forced to use old aged Ldraw software with all the limitation that format has.

So a big No to only support studio or any specific 3d software as a source for instructions, they can't run on all machines so PDF or other more common open source document style is always good, so you can open them on your mobile devices and tablets that isn't windows based.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:17 PM, Simon said:

As to Eurobricks being not friendly about other sites using their files; I got mixed feelings about that. Would be very interested in hearing more opinions.

What do you all think? Can LDD/Studio/LDraw models of official LEGO sets be freely copied and distributed?

I don't believe the issue was Eurobricks claiming any kind of ownership of the files. Rather, they argued that linking to their site where the files are hosted would deprive them of ad-money. Using an old bulletin board to display/host files is a horrible design!

As TLG doesn't provide any digital files to accompany their digital instructions, it's on us to produce them. While I admit using LDraw/Stud.IO/LDD/etc takes time to build these files (even when following official set instructions), I personally don't care to charge for it unless I had personally designed the set... 

I do realize that not everyone's PC is able to open/run Stud.IO and that PDF files are far more versatile. That said, if we had the Stud.IO file, we could easily produce the instructions (or even customize those instructions). As a Mac user, I have no issues running Stud.IO on the latest hardware from Apple.

I would say no to any "premium" instructions for original sets, it's better to allow some kind of donation for those who want to support people contributing.

and as far as I see it the digital copy do not need to copy the original instruction step by step but allow the author freedom to rearrange the building phases if they think they can do better. as long as the end result is the same it shouldn't matter.