Nederbrik

Part pictures disapearing after ldrraw update

Recommended Posts

Hi All

This is a very sensitive bug and nobody is believing me and a few admins are only getting mad about me but it is real and already there for more then a year.

I did mail with Simon but after my last mail also about the menu not loading on the website i didn't here anything anymore and with Jared, and all my comments are rejected.

But see my screen shots there are just 2 more without searching for them.

2817

4598

This already did begin early 2018 and is still going on, the pictures were in the part lists and are now gone, but also on the part page not visible.

Jared did rejected these last 2 change request tonight and commented that i did have to wait till they are in a set, i can tell they will never be in a set, they are very rare parts and officially not made by Lego.

So the bug is clearly visible but the part pictures are gone for me, the admins can see them but i'm not and that means all the users can not see them, so for me they are all gone and that are many many user pictures that are just gone and can not be seen by the users, if i did have admin rights i can see them but now i can't.

It's a pity nobody did ask ore just read what i'm trying to explain the past year.

English is not my main language that can be the problem, lets keep it that way.

Hope i did explain what i mean and that you also can see it, i'm not bothering you about a joke ore something it is real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Nederbrik said:

It's a pity nobody did ask ore just read what i'm trying to explain the past year.

English is not my main language that can be the problem, lets keep it that way.

Hope i did explain what i mean and that you also can see it, i'm not bothering you about a joke ore something it is real.

When were your screenshots taken? Before or after I moved the images to secondary?

To be clear, the ldraw images are a very recent thing. You’ve been talking to us about hundreds of missing images for as long as I’ve been an admin, way before Simon even begun the ldraw project. So you can see why we would be confusing your issue.

I don’t believe it was ever clear what you were talking about. You constantly claimed photos were getting deleted, when in actuality the issue appears to be the images aren’t mapping to your parts lists correctly. Very different issues. You have never been ignored, I think every single admin has tried at some point to help you with this issue. Now we have a better idea of what your talking about hopefully we can figure something out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes that is correct, but also on the part page i can no longer see them, screen shots are of today after when i made the bug.

But these pictures were all online and did show up in my inventories many of them were already done by Toby and now they have to be done again.

Just as on the part page of 3005 there it says 36 more photo's, but the parts i did give the pictures/photos are gone, we normal users can no longer see our own pictures so for us they are gone for you the admin not you can see them we not.

But after adding a new picture ore a ldraw picture the photo's are turned of for the normal users, not by all but many has that failure.

Simon did make a check run and he can see them also, stated that there is nothing wrong, but there is, also the change log is opening in a new page that means we are not allowed to see the changes, on normal pages it opens in the same screen and we can see everything.

When there is something wrong whit the part picture/photos the change log is always opening in a new screen no idea why but it does.

And as stated English is not my main language Dutch is, so i thought to explain in private mails to Simon what the problem was but he is an admin so he can see things which are normal for admins but we users can not see them, and if you do not read what i'm writing, it is going to be very hard to explain even in Dutch.

Just ask what i mean if it is not clear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marchel; the screen shots you provides are showing part lists. Have you ever tried to check the Part Details pages for the parts for which you think the photo's have gone missing?

The reason for your problem, I think, is very simply: on the Part Details pages, the system can display three images: an LEGO element image, a rendered LDraw image and a user photo. For any list in the system, part list, custom lists and inventories, the system can only display a single thumbnail for each part. To decide which image to use for these list, the system has an algorithm, that basically says:

    if there is a element image, show that
    if, not, if there is an LDraw image, show that,
    if not, if there is a user photo, show that.

It's more complicated than this, but it simply means, that if we have an LDraw image, we show the LDraw image, instead the user photo. And you are right, I have added a lot of new LDraw images, and for all of these, the system is now showing those new LDraw image, not the original photos. Right now, for many of these parts, the system is showing the Unknown Color. In a few weeks. when I do the next update, that color will be replaced by the right color. All of this has been announced in this thread.

But this doesn't mean the photo's are missing. In both schreenshots you provided, if you select the individual parts, you will see the photos are still available.

Could it be that you've just been looking at your part lists, without checking the Part Details pages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can not see them i'm a user and by me they are blue and not Brown ore Reddisch Brown and just as i mentioned by part 3005 there are 36 user pictures by all the parts i did mention they are gone just use a account whit normal user options with no admin rights then you can see what we see.

Problem stays the same.

Now i asked again about it, it was set free but it still does not appear in my part list as it should be and that is already from the beginning of 2018, parts come and go.

Point stays if nobody is believing me i can not explain it but there are many many pictures not visible for us users which are submitted by us and that is what i'm trying to make clear.

You say they are online ok but we can not see them that is the point, Jared did turn these 2 on today but all the others they are still turned of.

They all were online and are now gone that is a pity, mainly many rare parts which you also do not have in you're collection and will not see so i have to ask for every part to set it right again and that was already done in the past whit Toby.

Lots of extra work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In your first post, you added a screenshot showing a part list with part 2817 in Dark Blue.
My question was: have you checked the part details page for 2817?

Here's what I see, when I do that, and when I am NOT logged in:

Screenshot%20from%202019-05-17%2016-02-1
The brown photo is still available - IT IS NOT MISSING - but it is not displayed on your part list, because I added an LDraw image for that part, and that is what is currently displayed. Again, as I said earlier, within a few weeks that LDraw image will be replaced by the right color.

This has nothing to do with being a regular user instead of an admin; in part lists admins see exactly the same thumbnails as you do. You can still see all the photos, but you have to go to the part details pages to do so.

You are presuming that photos are missing, simply because you don't see them anymore in your part list. Why are you refusing to click on a part and take a look at the part details page?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Nederbrik said:

They all were online and are now gone that is a pity, mainly many rare parts which you also do not have in you're collection and will not see so i have to ask for every part to set it right again and that was already done in the past whit Toby

You’re doing it again. These photos are not gone. They are still all online. It may be a language thing but stating it that way is a completely different problem. If you tell us they are gone and they’re not, we’re going to tell you nothings wrong and move on and yes on the 30th time telling you so an admin might have less patience.

The ones I ‘turned on’ were there and already turned on. They were the primary photo for their color. Because those colors are not in a set they do not get a color breakdown page. Meaning the photo is un-see-able. On the parts overview page that is true for all primary photos other than the 1 that appears in the most sets. 

For example if a part occurs 100 times in black and 5 times in red it will show the black image. 

Now this was recently changed (can’t remember when but sometime in the last 12 months). It used to display the first submitted photo. This is potentially the change that has caused you to notice the issue. If your brown image was the first submitted photo for that part it would have appeared as the parts main photo. But now it won’t because it occurs 0 times. 

What I did for you is made the photo a secondary photo. What this means is every other image we get on top of the primary image gets marked secondary and these are the ones visible in the drop down. I did that so you could see your image. The issue with that is that thumbs in inventories or parts lists don’t use secondary photos. 

So, that’s why a photo of a part that’s never been in a set wont appear on the parts main page. We have created a work around for unique parts that appear on the pick-a-brick walls, etc... this is removing color errors and allowing the color to get displayed on the part page. We can easily add your unique parts to a similar list which would solve the hidden photos. 

The next issue about thumbs is another separate issue. Just like Simon said (I’m about to repeat some of what he said), there’s a list of what image gets priority for thumbs. It’s a long complicated list, out of my knowledge to list here. But if a ldraw image is available your photo won’t show. With the LDraw project still in progress there’s still things under construction.  Thumbs and ldraw images will still be affected until he is finished.

So to fix this we can try this, we will add your parts to a dummy list. I will make your photos primary again. Which will make your photos visible on the parts page.

And we will be patient and wait for the LDraw project to complete which will hopefully fix the thumb issue. If not we can have a look then. 

Please provide a list of parts you would like adding to a dummy list. Obviously i know about these two. 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please see this set 

https://rebrickable.com/sets/LEGO-Classic-1/unused-parts-sold-by-lego-between-1945-and-1960/#info

Those two parts now show those colors and if you click the color to take you to the color breakdown page you will see your photos. Simple!

also I think Simon May have done something to the LDraw soft you cause they are showing correct too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jaredhinton said:

Please see this set 

https://rebrickable.com/sets/LEGO-Classic-1/unused-parts-sold-by-lego-between-1945-and-1960/#info

Those two parts now show those colors and if you click the color to take you to the color breakdown page you will see your photos. Simple!

also I think Simon May have done something to the LDraw soft you cause they are showing correct too. 

Those parts did not exist in that period and do not belong there!  Parts like 3003b and 3001c belong in that set. together with a lot of slotted bricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, biodreamer said:

Those parts did not exist in that period and do not belong there!  Parts like 3003b and 3001c belong in that set. together with a lot of slotted bricks

Solved, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok when i made the change request the parts photo's were not visible on the part page, to show what i mean i made a screenshot of my spare parts.

But ok, again if it is not understood that i/ we really do not see them then this is the end of the topic for me, if i can not explain to you that i really can not see them.

Here just 2 screens shot from 2 minuts ago i stil can not see them, my pictures are gone.

4598

2817

You can say that they are online but i can not see them, and that is what i mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nederbrik said:

Ok when i made the change request the parts photo's were not visible on the part page, to show what i mean i made a screenshot of my spare parts.

But ok, again if it is not understood that i/ we really do not see them then this is the end of the topic for me, if i can not explain to you that i really can not see them.

Here just 2 screens shot from 2 minuts ago i stil can not see them, my pictures are gone.

4598

2817

You can say that they are online but i can not see them, and that is what i mean.

You are not translating what I’m saying very well. 

You will not see your photo at the top of the parts overview page. Only the most common color displays there. In 4598’s case black appears in more sets than any other so the page displays the black photo. Scroll down to the colors, find reddish brown, click it and you’ll see what the photos show (these are from my phone so layout is a little different). I am not logged in so this is how any user will see this part. 

I literally told you “So to fix this we can try this, we will add your parts to a dummy list. I will make your photos primary again. Which will make your photos visible on the parts page.” I made your photos primary so they would appear on the parts colour breakdown page. Please either read more carefully or use a better translator tool.

I have solved your problem. Unless your problem is that you want you Photo to be on the main page. Which it will and can never be. I cannot explain to you that you can see the photos any better so I guess we agree, this is the end of this discussion. 

86F43971-BA4D-4111-9405-0673DCC0C513.png

9CD1A661-B4C9-4511-83EC-8FA1F226C23F.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry i stil do not understand it, see the page of 3005 there is a link to see all the other user photo's that is not shown on the pages i did give and there are more pages were it is gone.

3005

And here all the user pictures

3005

That is what i mean my pictures are not shown, why not??????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Nederbrik said:

Sorry i stil do not understand it, see the page of 3005 there is a link to see all the other user photo's that is not shown on the pages i did give and there are more pages were it is gone.

3005

And here all the user pictures

3005

That is what i mean my pictures are not shown, why not??????

Nothing to be sorry about.

Because that drop down only show secondary photos, NOT all photos (this is your misunderstanding), your screenshot for example doesn't show the other 30 photos that are in primary position. Primary photos can only be seen on the part color page (unless it's the most common color). Click on a color and you'll see the primary photo at the top and secondary photos of that color in a drop down similar to the overview page. If you go to your brown parts you'll see you photo as I saw it in my screenshots I uploaded earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Simon said:

In your first post, you added a screenshot showing a part list with part 2817 in Dark Blue.
My question was: have you checked the part details page for 2817?

Here's what I see, when I do that, and when I am NOT logged in:

Screenshot%20from%202019-05-17%2016-02-1
The brown photo is still available - IT IS NOT MISSING - but it is not displayed on your part list, because I added an LDraw image for that part, and that is what is currently displayed. Again, as I said earlier, within a few weeks that LDraw image will be replaced by the right color.

This has nothing to do with being a regular user instead of an admin; in part lists admins see exactly the same thumbnails as you do. You can still see all the photos, but you have to go to the part details pages to do so.

You are presuming that photos are missing, simply because you don't see them anymore in your part list. Why are you refusing to click on a part and take a look at the part details page?

But this is what i mean Simon does see it 2817 Brown, but i'm not, and there is no reason to turn my part of also by the others there are only 2 ore 3 pictures/ photo's there, just like the bracket 4598 Reddish Brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jaredhinton said:

Solved, thanks

No it's not changing the date of the set makes it worthless, especially since one was reddish brown and not brown which means that parts is from the 2000., if your going to put everything into the same set why make all the other dummy sets. I say move these to legostore-1 or legoland-1 set and return this set to it's original name. so we have one set of the classic system parts like the original idea and picture indicate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nederbrik said:

Simon does see it 2817 Brown, but i'm not

Could you show a screenshot of this page?

(User photo: submitted by Lucky-Ramses on Jan. 8, 2018, 10:33 p.m.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, biodreamer said:

No it's not changing the date of the set makes it worthless, especially since one was reddish brown and not brown which means that parts is from the 2000., if your going to put everything into the same set why make all the other dummy sets. I say move these to legostore-1 or legoland-1 set and return this set to it's original name. so we have one set of the classic system parts like the original idea and picture indicate.

These parts are not known to be from either of those places. They fit less there than in classic. I’ll adjust again for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nederbrik said:

But this is what i mean Simon does see it 2817 Brown, but i'm not, and there is no reason to turn my part of also by the others there are only 2 ore 3 pictures/ photo's there, just like the bracket 4598 Reddish Brown.

Again that’s because your brown one is the primary photo (and can be seen on the color breakdown page, just like Simon has showed above). Primary photos do NOT appear on that drop down on the part overview page (which is the one you’ve taken a screenshot of).

like Simon asked, if you could do a screenshot of the brown color page that would be great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jaredhinton said:

Again that’s because your brown one is the primary photo (and can be seen on the color breakdown page, just like Simon has showed above). Primary photos do NOT appear on that drop down on the part overview page (which is the one you’ve taken a screenshot of).

like Simon asked, if you could do a screenshot of the brown color page that would be great. 

Can't you make another dummy for unknown sources for any time period, because there was a period you could buy classic parts directly from shops part by part and that was what this entry was intended for. I requested it for that particular reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, biodreamer said:

Can't you make another dummy for unknown sources for any time period, because there was a period you could buy classic parts directly from shops part by part and that was what this entry was intended for. I requested it for that particular reason.

ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nederbrik said:

But this is what i mean Simon does see it 2817 Brown, but i'm not, and there is no reason to turn my part of also by the others there are only 2 ore 3 pictures/ photo's there, just like the bracket 4598 Reddish Brown.

Also, I just noticed, that image Simon uploaded was from BEFORE I added your brown part to a set and moved your photo to Primary. When he took that Screenshot it was still secondary. If I, Simon, or anyone else look now we do not see it there anymore either, because its now a primary photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@biodreamer

I suggest changing Classic back to:

LEGO-Classic-1            Unused parts sold by LEGO between 1945 and 1965

and adding

LEGO-System-1        Unused parts sold by LEGO between 1966 and 2000

1966 being the year in which LEGO overhauled all LEGO basic sets and parts packs. From 1958 to 1965 TLG used the same spare parts pack numbers for all countries (with a few minor exceptions). But starting in 1966, different countries had their own spare part packs, with their own numbering system. Also the year that Town Plan was discontinued and the System I Leg was phased out in favor of LEGO System.

2000 being the year (October 17th) when LEGO [email protected] went online.

Can you agree with that?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do, I'll change the set image for Classic to something more appropriate:

 

1213_1955_box_504.jpg

and use this for system:

 

LEGO-System-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Nederbrik said that he was not just talking about his photos, but many photos submitted by members were disappearing.  Yesterday I was researching Nederbrik's post with the 3005 image showing photos submitted by meregt on Oct 28, 2018.  At that time the member photos did show up for me.  I had to go do other things, and when I returned, the member photos were gone, leaving me with this photo.  

1508045302_white3005.thumb.jpg.541507d90fea7f4e87f69ed9a44cb146.jpg

In looking at the change log, I found that the photos from Nederbrik's 3005 screenshot had all been deleted during the time that I was gone.  

So he is correct, member photos are disappearing because they are being deleted.  Given the choice, I would much rather see 1 photo showing both top and bottom than have the two photos that are currently displayed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now