Nederbrik

Lego Color 298Cool Silver(Metalic Silver)

Question

The official Lego color 298 Cool Silver(Metallic Silver) is merged with color 179 Silver Flip Flop( Pearl Light Gray) why is that.

This gives an error by downloading a lxf file all Metallic Silver parts are changed to Pearl light Gray, is there a reason for that.

Brickset also has them as 2 separate colors see here Complete List

And is it possible to move 298 to Metallic Silver so the import error will disappear by lxf files????

4 answers to this question

Rebrickable's color table is based upon the LDraw color definitions, just like the Bricklink/Studio color tables.
Some colors are not defined within LDraw, so they are merged into an existing color.

In this case, LEGO colors
179 ['Silver flip/flop', 'SILVER']
298 ['Cool silver']
296 ['Cool silver']
131 ['Silver']
are all merged into Rebrickable 135 Pearl Light Gray.

It is not a problem at all to split off Cool Silver, and create a new Rebrickable 298 Cool Silver for it, but when that is done, two things need to happen:

(1) Someone has to check which parts were released in cool silver, and in which sets, and those inventories need to be changed. And only someone who has these parts and sets can do that.
(2) Someone has to create that new color definition for POV-Ray and then render all those changed parts with the new color to create new LDraw images.

I don't mind doing (2), but I can't do (1). Can you?

34 minutes ago, Simon said:

Rebrickable's color table is based upon the LDraw color definitions, just like the Bricklink/Studio color tables.
Some colors are not defined within LDraw, so they are merged into an existing color.

In this case, LEGO colors
179 ['Silver flip/flop', 'SILVER']
298 ['Cool silver']
296 ['Cool silver']
131 ['Silver']
are all merged into Rebrickable 135 Pearl Light Gray.

It is not a problem at all to split off Cool Silver, and create a new Rebrickable 298 Cool Silver for it, but when that is done, two things need to happen:

(1) Someone has to check which parts were released in cool silver, and in which sets, and those inventories need to be changed. And only someone who has these parts and sets can do that.
(2) Someone has to create that new color definition for POV-Ray and then render all those changed parts with the new color to create new LDraw images.

I don't mind doing (2), but I can't do (1). Can you?

If needed i can do point 1 no problem(but give me a little time i'm finishing 25 mocs) but Metallic Silver is already split in all sets it is only for the import from lxf files.

Maybe i'm missing something that can really be possible, but there is not 1 set that needs to be changed, and also not 1 PART, in all official Lego set the colors are right.

My problem on this moment is only that all part colored in LDD with color 298 Cool Silver are changed to Pearl Light Gray and that is wrong, that is why i posted it in Help.

And as far as i know ldraw in wrong if they say color 298 is Pearl Light Gray, also Bricklink has it as Metallic Silver.

Is it so that if the Lego color 298 moves to Rebrick Metallic Silver all sets are changed to that color????

But if so that would be ok then, in my believe because it is Metallic Silver ore am i completely wrong.

Ah, I might have misunderstood you, my apologies. Right now, if you import and LDD file with LEGO color 298 Cool Silver it is changed to Rebrickable color 135 Pearl Light Gray.

What you are asking is, can LEGO color 298 Cool Silver be translated to Rebrickable color 80 Metallic Silver when importing an LDD file?

If that is what you are asking, sure, that can be done, without changing any parts or inventories. Let my check my background documentation tomorrow to see if those colors match enough, if they do, the change can be made immediately.

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

Ah, I might have misunderstood you, my apologies. Right now, if you import and LDD file with LEGO color 298 Cool Silver it is changed to Rebrickable color 135 Pearl Light Gray.

What you are asking is, can LEGO color 298 Cool Silver be translated to Rebrickable color 80 Metallic Silver when importing an LDD file?

If that is what you are asking, sure, that can be done, without changing any parts or inventories. Let my check my background documentation tomorrow to see if those colors match enough, if they do, the change can be made immediately.

Yes that is what my problem is now with LDD, if not it is no problem.

But it would be great if that can just work so i do not have to write down every part that needs to be that color.

There are already so many part problems in LDD without a proper update the last 2 years.

And on the moment i have no time to start with Stud.io there are still to many problems in it for me, just like the conversion to a proper pdf takes to much time.