seejay

Make it possible to search parts where year = "0 to 0"

Question

These two minifig heads are identical prints, one with a hollow stud and one with blocked open stud.  

Only the first is returned by searching for "silver goggles" (+ minifig heads + black), even though both use this phrase in the part name.   I assume this is because the second one has year = "0 to 0".   Even searching with the specific part number "3626cpr0760" still returns only the entry for 3626bpr0760. 

I don't think this is an error in the database; the years when the "hollow stud" version were produced seems to be unknown (both of these parts have only ever been used in a single set).   However it means the part is not findable using the current search interface.  

Even tweaking the search URL to specify min_year=0 and max_year=0  (or 0000 for that matter) doesn't return any parts. 

I'm not sure how many parts there are with ambiguous years, but it would be great to make them more searchable.  Perhaps consider adding, in the parts search panel, an "any year" checkbox to disable the time slider filter?  I've attached a mockup to show what I mean, but I'm sure you'll have better ideas how to handle it.  

Thanks again for all your hard work on a site that I use and appreciate a lot!

filter by any year.jpg

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, seejay said:

These two minifig heads are identical prints, one with a hollow stud and one with blocked open stud.  

Only the first is returned by searching for "silver goggles" (+ minifig heads + black), even though both use this phrase in the part name.   I assume this is because the second one has year = "0 to 0".   Even searching with the specific part number "3626cpr0760" still returns only the entry for 3626bpr0760. 

I don't think this is an error in the database; the years when the "hollow stud" version were produced seems to be unknown (both of these parts have only ever been used in a single set).   However it means the part is not findable using the current search interface.  

Even tweaking the search URL to specify min_year=0 and max_year=0  (or 0000 for that matter) doesn't return any parts. 

I'm not sure how many parts there are with ambiguous years, but it would be great to make them more searchable.  Perhaps consider adding, in the parts search panel, an "any year" checkbox to disable the time slider filter?  I've attached a mockup to show what I mean, but I'm sure you'll have better ideas how to handle it.  

Thanks again for all your hard work on a site that I use and appreciate a lot!

The 3626cpr0760 part is not being used in any inventories (hence the Year 0 to 0 which is a bit unhelpful), tick the Include Unused Parts option in the search and it will show up.

Thanks Nathan.  I've never used that button and had become so used to ignoring it that I simply didn't even think of it.  

Would it make sense to have that button be checked by default?  It seems like if a user is searching for a part, whether or not it has been included in an inventory wouldn't matter most of the time.  And perhaps add a little hover text explaining what "unused" means.  I think when I first started using the site I thought maybe it was parts that weren't "real"  (colors that had never been produced or something), so I just didn't use it and eventually stopped seeing it.