SimLego

Legs & hips assy vs Hips & legs?

I'm not sure I got this right, and I'm pretty sure that if I got it right, this subject must have been brought up already, but...

If I got it right, BrickLink lists Hips and (fixed color) Legs assemblies, like 970c09 "Hips and Light Gray Legs" -
while Rebrickable lists Legs and (fixed color) Hips, like 970x021 "Legs and Red Hips".

From my limited understanding, that makes inventory conversions between BL and Rebr almost impossible, or at least very complicated. Is that correct? Would it be possible to turn this huge ocean ship around and change it so we get the same standard (given I'm correct and it isn't a minor problem easy to workaround after all...)?

Your are correct. And it is a huge complication and makes it almost impossible to map them. But unfortunately the problem is with BL not us. We follow Legos designations which color them our way. And we always favor being as true to LEGO as possible since they’re the official source.

an official source that is younger than brick links catalog and it's original source. so there is good reason why BL is as it is. Personally I have always seen the leg color as the main color and the hip as secondary. So first time I encountered BL I thought that was awkward to start with the hips. But then we have custom assemblies and some special sets where each leg has it's own color, which kind of make the leg as main color fall apart. luckily that is a special case rather than something common.

8 minutes ago, biodreamer said:

an official source that is younger than brick links catalog and it's original source. so there is good reason why BL is as it is. Personally I have always seen the leg color as the main color and the hip as secondary. So first time I encountered BL I thought that was awkward to start with the hips. But then we have custom assemblies and some special sets where each leg has it's own color, which kind of make the leg as main color fall apart. luckily that is a special case rather than something common.

Yeah, the odd colored legs often have the LEGO designation ‘MULTI’ which is never useful. Luckily, like you said, that are rare so it’s not a huge issue. 

Hmm, another wierd thing. If I only enter "970x" in the Search box, I can see a lot of 970x* entries, but they disappear if I continue with "970x0", and for example search on "970x021" or any other existing entry renders "Error - No Search Results". Yet the id entered does exist in the database.