Pal

Gold color question

Question

Posted (edited)

(This ended up in the wrong forum section - but I can't move it and I can't delete it, so it is what it is.)

I have a bunch of pieces in gold color. They're all official Lego parts. But I can't figure out the colors of the 1 X 1 round plates.

In the picture, I have colors:

A : Metallic Gold (Confirmed)
B : ???
: Dark Orange (Confirmed)
D : Pearl Gold (since it is the same as E)
E : Pearl Gold (Confirmed)
F : Chrome Gold (Confirmed)

I know it's hard to see on a computer screen - but what color is B?

Regards
/P

2019-07-11_13_04_20.jpg

Edited by Pal

12 answers to this question

The only official colors for 1 x 1 round plate I can find are chrome gold and pearl gold. Clearly, none of the two 1 X 1 round plate piles are chrome gold. And they're not the same color. So what would that third gold color be??

To me A looks like pearl gold and B metallic gold.

Could be brass which we don’t list. There’s questions to whether it exists, some claim it appears in a couple of sets. essentially it appears in some sets where they should be chrome gold and people say they’re different from pearl gold. But I’m not sure how verified this all is. 

The 1 x 1 round plates don't exist in Metallic Gold (at least not according to Rebrickable).

11 hours ago, TobyMac said:

They could both be Pearl Gold. This color is known to have some different shades

That's what I think also. I have quite a few of those in pearl gold and there can be considerable variations.

I recently read somewhere that there is a color change in pearl gold just now going on and that there was already one some years ago. And there were even sets produced that had both variants in one box as the color change happened. It's just that Lego itself considers it too minor to give it a new color name.

I'm too color blind to drive a ship or an airplane, but I can still see the difference. :(

But yes - I think you are right, they're both the same color, just different.

Posted (edited)

I guess it's reflected in the database too... these two are both pearl gold.

pearlgold.png

And they also differ in reality, although not as much as in the picture.

Edited by Pal

49 minutes ago, Pal said:

I guess it's reflected in the database too... these two are both pearl gold.

pearlgold.png

And they also differ in reality, although not as much as in the picture.

The difference in these images are 15573 is the official LEGO Element ID image, and 3794a is the LDraw rendered image of the part because LEGO don’t provide a EID image for it. 

Posted (edited)

I confirm, to me A, B D & E are the same pearl gold color. Lego is just inconsistent at that color. You even seem to be missing the latest change, which is very noticably darker gold, but still "the same color". But perhaps it's B on your picture, even though it's normally even darker.

There is no "metallic gold" in your picture. Just like its silver counterpart, it's plated & pearly, but not chrome-looking.

Edited by anothergol