Question

Speaking as a User, not an Admin (statements made here are my opinion not policy).

I'd really appreciate it if more care could be taken when tagging MOCs. I use tags to find things I'd like to build but it gets very hard when designers go crazy and tag things with unique tags or spelling errors.

If you tag your MOC and it's the only instance of that tag (the number next to it says 1) then one of three things:

1. You may have spelt it wrong, spelling is not my strong suit so I'm pointing no fingers, but if it's a common term and you're the 1st then double check your spelling.
  2. You may have used a less common term for it, for example "The Simpsons" vs "Simpsons". Ignoring the argument about which is correct you should be aiming to get the same one the majority of users have used, otherwise your MOC won't appear when someone searches using the opposite one that you used. Having multiple terms for the same thing makes it harder to find them all and hurts your chances of being found.
  3. Your tag is probably useless. If it's something so obscure then a user will probably never look for it anyway making the tag moot. For general searches the system checks all info anyway so if that term appears in MOC name or description then a general search will find it, no need for a single use Tag.

At this point, with something like 15k MOC's any useful tags have almost certainly already been used. If your tag isn't useful then I question why you use it. I just want to be able to find your awesome MOC's, please help me.

1 answer to this question

Posted (edited)

Jared, I feel your pain.  I'm deep in the weeds of tag wrangling for our site (which has nothing to do with Lego).  I've reviewed all the tags manually to map them to a smaller set of standard tags, a painstaking, iterative process (just when I think I've got some logic to guide how to map the tags, an edge-case comes along and blows up the whole thing).  Next we're planning to lock down the tag vocabulary and add a "suggest a tag" feature to allow users to point out any gaps in the vocabulary. 

We're also working to have the system recommend tags to contributors based on the title and descriptions they enter.  That will be based on a machine-learning model trained on our the standardized tags.  Not sure how well that's going to work, but I'm hopeful that in a couple more months our tags will be a lot more useful.  Everything we do is open source, so if we get something that seems like it might be useful for RB, I'll link to it here, and we blog about our work at the Centre for Humanitarian Data.

So, if you get bored after cleaning up all those minifig part numbers . . .   :)

--cj

Edited by seejay