sirjective1

Editing part while in a custom list reloads wrong parts

Editing a part from a custom list is a useful new feature. Sometimes after saving, the custom list is reloaded wrongly, though.

To reproduce:

• I load a custom list. The Parts view is opened.
  • By clicking on a part, I open the "Part Summary" dialog.
  • In that dialog, I go to the "My Parts" tab.
  • I click on the link for a specific Part list / Color combination to open the Part Summary for the part in that part list.
  • On the "Edit this Part" tab, I select a different part list.
  • I hit "Save Part".
  • If the part did not yet exist in the part list I moved it to, the custom list's part view remains unchanged, and I get the green success message "Part saved successfully".
  • If the part did already exist in the part list I moved it to, the custom list's part view is replaced by the updated part list I moved the part away from, and the green success message reads "Part merged with existing part". Reloading the page brings me back to my custom list.

I guess the problem is not limited to editing part lists from a custom list, but exists for all combinations of list types.

On August 7, 2019 at 3:53 PM, sirjective1 said:

Editing a part from a custom list is a useful new feature. Sometimes after saving, the custom list is reloaded wrongly, though.

To reproduce:

• I load a custom list. The Parts view is opened.
  • By clicking on a part, I open the "Part Summary" dialog.
  • In that dialog, I go to the "My Parts" tab.
  • I click on the link for a specific Part list / Color combination to open the Part Summary for the part in that part list.
  • On the "Edit this Part" tab, I select a different part list.
  • I hit "Save Part".
  • If the part did not yet exist in the part list I moved it to, the custom list's part view remains unchanged, and I get the green success message "Part saved successfully".
  • If the part did already exist in the part list I moved it to, the custom list's part view is replaced by the updated part list I moved the part away from, and the green success message reads "Part merged with existing part". Reloading the page brings me back to my custom list.

I guess the problem is not limited to editing part lists from a custom list, but exists for all combinations of list types.

Just wanted to let you know that I've tried to duplicate your steps, but I'm having difficulties duplicating the "If the part did already exist in the part list" step.  As Nathan mentioned in another topic, he is doing some extensive work on the site.  This may be causing what you have experienced.  With a little time it may be fixed, so your patience is appreciated.

Posted (edited)

I have used the last few days learning enough of Node.js and the Rebrickable API to have automated most of the actual part movement in a fraction of the time. 🙂 Of course, in order to do so, I invested a multiple of the time to write the program. 🙈 But I learned a lot in doing so (and can actually use that for my job), which is a big plus.

I just tested the issue again, to give more hints on how to reproduce it. This makes sure someone else could test that it is actually fixed in the future.

I have two part lists (test_list_1 and test_list_2), containing the same part in the same color (1 resp. 2 pieces). I am on the page of a custom list, containing many parts, and open the Part Summary of the part (but in a different color, which does not matter to the issue).

rebrickable_edit_from_custom_10.png.8895f8f7d453ae1faaade983d0268225.png

I follow the link to the part in test_list_2, which opens the Part Summary dialog there. As can be seen from the next image, the custom list's parts are still visible in the background, while I move the selected part to test_list_1 (which, as noted earlier, already contains the part, so the two parts will be merged into one).

rebrickable_edit_from_custom_20.thumb.png.58c0d8821a0f4a5167919e09f533808e.png

After saving the part, the dialog closes and the part list of the custom list refreshes to show the updated content of test_list_2, instead of still showing the custom list's content.

rebrickable_edit_from_custom_30.png.f4357d1dcfc7b4e63953f51c0c4ffd93.png

Edited by sirjective1

Thanks for the more detailed help.  I don't use the rb API, so maybe that's why I couldn't duplicate it.   

I can give it another try on my Mac after I've had a few hours sleep.  For now I'm bringing it to @Nathan's attention.:)

This is not about the API - I started using the API afterwards to speed up the process of moving around almost 400 parts. 🙂 The issue I described is reproducible with normal GUI interactions.