Chelmer52

Calling all collectors !!

Question

Hello

My husband was an avid LEGO collector. Since his death last year i have questioned what to do with his lego collection.

Going through it all and it is very extensive, there are three groups of lego that i have.

1. Boxed lego that he bought that never opened

2. Built Lego

3. Lego that has been built with manuals then so carefully was broken back down ,cleaned ,labelled and sealed.

What on earth do i with it all,?  there are some parts that are sentimental that i will keep but i am surrounded by so much that it is impossible for me to keep all of it.

So i come to you with some questions. Firstly are there collectors out there who would wish to know more about what he had and would possibly buy and secondly where is the best place to look for other collectors who could help me

Thanks

Hannah

3 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, Chelmer52 said:

Hello

My husband was an avid LEGO collector. Since his death last year i have questioned what to do with his lego collection.

Going through it all and it is very extensive, there are three groups of lego that i have.

1. Boxed lego that he bought that never opened

2. Built Lego

3. Lego that has been built with manuals then so carefully was broken back down ,cleaned ,labelled and sealed.

What on earth do i with it all,?  there are some parts that are sentimental that i will keep but i am surrounded by so much that it is impossible for me to keep all of it.

So i come to you with some questions. Firstly are there collectors out there who would wish to know more about what he had and would possibly buy and secondly where is the best place to look for other collectors who could help me

Thanks

Hannah

I recommend signing up to Bricklink or brickowl. You’ll get the most money that way. They may take time to sell it all though so if you’re want to just move it eBay is probably your best bet

Hi Hannah,

I think there a couple of things to think about.  If you just want to get rid of as much of it as quickly as possible and are less concerned about maximizing the value, something like ebay is your best option.  However, even in that case, I think spending some time researching prices on Bricklink would help you know what prices to aim for.  The secondary lego market is very active these days.  Even if you took the average current price for each set on Bricklink and added it all together as a single price to sell all of it, I bet you'd find a buyer.   If not, knock 5 or 10 percent off that price and for sure someone will snap it up.

If you want to maximize the value and don't mind spending more time managing the inventory, packing, and shipping, you could set up a Bricklink (or BrickOwl) store and put everything you want to sell up there.  You'd probably be selling them a few at a time. That involves building an inventory of the sets and keeping that inventory updated as you sell them off. 

In all cases, you'll need to distinguish between the different states (sealed box, built and rebagged, etc) in order to figure out the right price.

This article talks about an average increase in the value of lego sets of 12% per year since 2000, so I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised by the value of what you have.

Good luck!  

--cj