Sign in to follow this  
Teup

Convert partname Bricklink > Rebrickable?

Whenever I search on a part number that's unique to the Bricklink catalog, I neatly get a search suggestion that contains the Rebrickable part number (if I'm lucky, anyway). So the Rebrickable site interface is able to convert a Bricklink number to a Rebrickable number. I was wondering if there is way to access this functionality directly through the API, or through something else my software could use. Converting a Rebrickable number to a Bricklink number is pretty easy, as the Rebrickable part entry contains this info. But is there a way to convert the part number the other way around? It would be great if I could look up parts in Rebrickable that I only know the Bricklink number of.

I can’t comment on the API, not my area. But I do know that the search function simply returns the parts that have the BL mapping on. If we haven’t put the BL number on the part it won’t find it when searching using the BL number. 

Every BL mapping (or LDraw, brickowl, brickset, etc...) entry is done by hand, no automation. This is one of the areas of the site that user help is critical to. 

On 9/29/2019 at 1:53 AM, jaredhinton said:

I can’t comment on the API, not my area. But I do know that the search function simply returns the parts that have the BL mapping on. If we haven’t put the BL number on the part it won’t find it when searching using the BL number. 

Every BL mapping (or LDraw, brickowl, brickset, etc...) entry is done by hand, no automation. This is one of the areas of the site that user help is critical to. 

Yeah, I understand that. And once I'm done with my project that I'm using it for I'd surely like to give back a little by submitting some contributions.

It's just too bad that for so many parts, the Rebrickable system understands the BL name and converts it to the Rebrickable name... if only you enter it in the search field, like in the picture attached. And that's awesome.

But for any kind of programmatic automation, this data is not available. There isn't any way that I can request some page that contains the Bricklink number in the URL, and lists the Rebrickable number in the result. So, even though there is a really good database inside Rebrickable for converting the Bricklink number to the Rebrickable number, this data does not seem to be available in any other way than in the pop up search suggestion in the attached picture.

Not that I am in any position to complain.... but well, shoot. That's just too bad :) 

Naamloos2.png