Sign in to follow this  
legosetbuilder

Reddish brown and Dark Red Brittle Bricks

I have over 200 sets in my collection.  My 5 year old has recently been getting really heavily involved in lego building.  As most everyone knows, and lego has admitted, the reddish-brown and dark-red bricks from like 2008-2013 turned out to be very brittle.  I contacted LEGO asking if they would replace some of my reddish brown and dark red plates that I suspect would be prone to breaking in the hands of my son.  They agreed and asked me to send them a list.  I created a list of the plates in my inventory and sent it to them.  There were about 700 plates total that I requested which is far lower than my actual count, but wanted to get the ball rolling.  I know they choked on that number and immediately back-tracked to say they couldn't proactively send new bricks if they haven't broke yet.  I told them that I thought that they should have recalled them in the first place as they are incredibly dangerous when the break into shards.  In any case, they sent me 90 plates, mostly just some 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, and 1x6 plates.  Then they proceeded to say that they stopped production of all other reddish brown, dark red plates.  I find that hard to believe considering sets are still coming out right  now with these plates in them.   They told me to go to bricklink to get the rest of the plates.  Maybe I'm an over-concerned parent, but this has pissed me off.  Anyone else try to do something similar?  I've spend a lot of time with their customer service and now appear to be at an impasse.   I guess i can go through and snap all my parts and see what they say.  Seems quite unnecessary.  

I don't think any company would replace that old parts, after 2 years and you haven't complained you can't expect them to do anything. And you expect them to replace 10 year old stuff now.

You are expecting way to much. You either remove those parts so your son can't use them or take the risk. anyway a 5 year old will eventually break or lose parts so it would be good for you to know bricklink as a way of getting replacement or extra part. I think it's great that they even offer to send the plates they did. They can't replace your whole collection just like that, so I understand why they back track. if they would have to keep every collection at a good condition for generation their business model would fail.

The parts are removed from my pieces (except for some sets that I haven't broken down yet).  They said they'd replace any broken pieces which leads me to believe they could replace them proactively.  None of the other parts from these sets are brittle so it is indeed a manufacturing defect as everything was kept in the same environment.  I guess I can go through all the plates, apply some pressure and see if they snap.  In which case they would replace them.  Seems like an unnecessary step.  I think their business model is quite fine and they pride themselves in part longevity. I'm not questioning that, just curious to me that given how brittle some of these are that they wouldn't take the safety first stance.  I'm sure I'm just being overly cautious.