• 0
jaredhinton

New Set Tags

Question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Here's a first wave of new ones based on BrickHeadz characters as the source (these are above and beyond the currently submitted CRs);

  • Master Wu
  • Captain Phasma
  • The Beast
  • Nonnie
  • Star-Lord
  • Minecraft Creeper (this parallels the already existing Minecraft Steve which will help distinguish from other Steve's)
  • Mr. Incredible
  • Frozone
  • Albus Dumbledore
  • Peter Venkman
  • Slimer
  • Ursula
  • Jack Skellington
  • Sally
  • Newt Scamander
  • Gellert Grindelwald
  • Homer Simpson
  • Krusty the Clown
  • Geoffrey
  • Benny
  • Sweet Mayhem
  • Sith Trooper
Edited by Retrieverfalcon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Retrieverfalcon said:

Here's a first wave of new ones based on BrickHeadz characters as the source (these are above and beyond the currently submitted CRs);

  • Master Wu
  • Captain Phasma
  • The Beast
  • Nonnie
  • Star-Lord
  • Minecraft Creeper (this parallels the already existing Minecraft Steve which will help distinguish from other Steve's)
  • Mr. Incredible
  • Frozone
  • Albus Dumbledore
  • Peter Venkman
  • Slimer
  • Ursula
  • Jack Skellington
  • Sally
  • Newt Scamander
  • Gellert Grindelwald
  • Homer Simpson
  • Krusty the Clown
  • Geoffrey
  • Benny
  • Sweet Mayhem
  • Sith Trooper

Sorry, probably should’ve mentioned we need to know the relevant set, lol. Some I can find pretty easily but others I may have trouble with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

First, for the original list here are exemplar sets (I'll handle the others):

  • The Beast (41596-1)
  • Nonnie (41597-1)
  • Star-Lord (41606-1)
  • Minecraft Creeper (41612-1)
  • Albus Dumbledore (41621-1)
  • Slimer (41622-1)
  • Ursula (41623-1)
  • Jack Skellington (41630-1)
  • Sally (41630-1)
  • Newt Scamander (41631-1)
  • Gellert Grindelwald (41631-1)
  • Homer Simpson (41632-1)
  • Krusty the Clown (41632-1)
  • Sweet Mayhem (41637-1)

Now some new ones:

  • Simon Masrani (75915-1)
  • Lieutenant Matthais (41164-1)
  • Poe Dameron (75115-1)
  • Jyn Erso (75119-1)
  • Lufthansa (40146-1)
  • Based on Fan Design by James Mathis (10025-1)
  • Daphne Blake (75903-1)
  • Velma Dinkley (75904-1)
  • Fred Jones (75902-1)
  • Shaggy Rogers (71206-1) [and retire existing and potentially overlapping "Shaggy" tag]
  • Parker L. Jackson (791903-1)
  • Jack Davids (791901-1)
  • The Penguin (76035-1)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Here's the character ones we'll need for the new Trolls: World Tour sets

  • Poppy (30555-1 / 41251-1 / 41252-1 / 41253-1 / 41254-1 / 1255-1 / 41256-1)
  • Branch (41252-1 / 41253-1 / 41254-1 / 41255-1)
  • Cooper (41255-1 / 41256-1) - tag previously existed but all uses were easily shifted to the better "Mini Cooper" which avoid overlap
  • Guy Diamond (41255-1)
  • Tiny Diamond (41255-1)
  • Cloud Guy (41256-1)
  • Barb (41254-1) - Could overlap with other universe characters named "Barb" but fortunately most of those have last names we can tag or use the full "Barbara"
  • Hickory (41253-1)
  • Biggie (41252-1)
  • Mr. Dinkles (41252-1)
  • Mermaid (41250-1) - unfortunately generic but it's the character name and fortunately there aren't many to overlap with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, Retrieverfalcon said:

 

Done, added to set 41255-1 only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Tip: Don't directly copy-paste the tags. The forum has a habit of throwing hidden special chars into the text, what can cause problems later on, like in search results

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, TobyMac said:

Doing double work here... 😉 Only the post of 2 hours ago left

 

Haha, I’m up late tonight, not often we’re on together working on stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Think I've now tagged all sets impacted with the above except these which aren't implemented yet:

On 12/18/2019 at 12:24 AM, Retrieverfalcon said:
  • Barb (41254-1) - Could overlap with other universe characters named "Barb" but fortunately most of those have last names we can tag or use the full "Barbara"
  • Hickory (41253-1)
  • Biggie (41252-1)
  • Mr. Dinkles (41252-1)
  • Mermaid (41250-1) - unfortunately generic but it's the character name and fortunately there aren't many to overlap with

Here's some new ones to add:

  • Krypto (30546-1)
  • Hawkman (76028-1)
  • Darkseid (76028-1)
  • El Dorado (70919-1)
  • Hawkgirl (70919-1)
  • Wonder Dog (70919-1)
  • Nebula (76090-1)
  • Drax (76081-1)
  • Jacob Kowalski (75952-1)
  • Queenie Goldstein (75952-1)
  • Tina Goldstein (75952-1)
  • Magneto (76073-1)
  • Loki (76091-1)
  • Minecraft Alex (21144-1)
  • Minecraft Blaze (21154-1)
  • Wolverine (76073-1)
  • Ned Flanders (71006-1)
  • Marge Simpson (71006-1)
  • Maggie Simpson (71006-1)
  • Lisa Simpson (71006-1)
  • Bart Simpson (71006-1)
  • Allison Miles (75937-1)
  • D-O Droid (75257-1)
  • Zorii Bliss (75249-1)
  • Cassian Andor (75171-1)
  • Rocky (40336-1)
  • Douglas Elton (70418-1)
  • Chef Enzo (70422-1)
  • Doomsday (76070-1)
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi (75246-1)
  • Anakin Skywalker (75223-1)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
28 minutes ago, Retrieverfalcon said:
  • Jafar [71024-11]
  • Jasmine [71024-12]
  • Aladdin (Movie)[71024-11]
  • Hades [71024-13]
  • Hercules (Movie) [71024-13]
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas [71024-15]
  • Edna Mode [71024-17]

Do all these have more than 1 appearance in sets? I don’t think Hades, Jafar, and Hercules do (May be wrong) and it’s their set name so adding them as tags is superfluous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, jaredhinton said:

Do all these have more than 1 appearance in sets? I don’t think Hades, Jafar, and Hercules do (May be wrong) and it’s their set name so adding them as tags is superfluous.

Jasmine, Aladdin (Movie), Hercules (Movie), The Nightmare Before Christmas and Edna Mode all have multiple uses already. You are correct that Hades and Jafar are the only representations currently but both would fall within their respective movie lineups as named characters. In this case, since other characters in the same movie are already existing tags -Aladdin/Jasmine in "Aladdin (Movie)" and Hercules in "Hercules (Movie)" - not creating these tags creates a variety of filters that would require users to look between both the tags and the set names to find what they wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 minutes ago, Retrieverfalcon said:

Jasmine, Aladdin (Movie), Hercules (Movie), The Nightmare Before Christmas and Edna Mode all have multiple uses already. You are correct that Hades and Jafar are the only representations currently but both would fall within their respective movie lineups as named characters. In this case, since other characters in the same movie are already existing tags -Aladdin/Jasmine in "Aladdin (Movie)" and Hercules in "Hercules (Movie)" - not creating these tags creates a variety of filters that would require users to look between both the tags and the set names to find what they wanted.

But who’s searching for the single hades set without just searching for hades? What steps do you think are being taken to find the set needed? I can’t see anyone using tags so specifically over just typing their search term.  
I get putting Hercules movie on Hades so it groups all those sets but the logic that people will find it harder to find hades without its own tag means they’d have to be on a Hercules set already and decide “I want to find hades”, so they click the Hercules movie tag, then they’ll search down the side bar tags list instead of just searching down the list of sets that appear, and if they do that without spotting a hades tag they’ll give up looking? Sounds highly unlikely and not worth the extra tag with a singular use. 

the tag system becomes almost unusable if it becomes so specific it puts people off browsing using it. For example:

I want to see all the Disney sets in 2019. I could search Disney but let’s say I like using tags (like your example). The side bar limits tags based on the top 1000 results of your search. So I’ve clicked on the 2019 button on find sets page. I look at the side bar and there’s hundreds of entries. From things covering themes, characters, technical details, publications, site admin tags, etc... Disney could very easily get buried under them, all making the system completely useless for me even through I want to use a very broad tag like Disney. 

Under a more restricted system more useful tags that groups sets in sensible ways means that the system is more focused and potentially easier to use. 

There’s still debate about whether characters should even be given tags, for a long time character names were put in set notes to achieve them appearing when searched for. Obviously, we laxed this recently but we still need to be intelligent about what tags are useful and not. Even if it’s useful to 10 people, if it makes things harder for the next 100 is the tag useful or a hinderance?

My definition of a useful tag meets one of these criteria’s. 

1. The set contains a character/detail, that character name/detail is not in the set name/theme. (This helps the search engine find it).
2. It groups a set to other sets even if the tag is the same as the set name or theme. (E.g. the tag has more than one entry).

If a tag doesn’t meet either criteria then I don’t see the value in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Is there any way to improve that limit on the search results? My ideal situation would be to start with a list of tags. If you select Disney, the list gets narrowed down to all tags that are in sets that also have the tag Disney, no matter how many sets that are. You can keep clicking until you've narrowed donw enough to call in the sets that meet the criteria of selected tags. The benefit of this, above using the search bar, is that you don't already need to know the search term, or for instance the spelling. All suggestions are already listed. If I want to know in which sets that redhead from scooby dooh is in, and all I remember is it being Selma or something i select scooby dooh, and I get a list of characters, where I can easily spot Velma. Click on her name, and I see all sets she is in.

But this all hangs on the way we can navigate the tags on the site. It will require a lot of extra coding from @Nathan to be useful, if that is even possible considering server load etc. The way it's set up know, Jaredhinton has a point with his concerns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Clearly the issue is complex on many fronts. I'm going to try to think this through over the next few days and put together a proposal on how to proceed. Let's all enjoy a few days for the holidays then we will can revisit this issue. Happy holidays to all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Forgot we were using this approach...

New suggestions for Minions characters (Bob is already an existing tag):

  • Otto - 75546-1, 75550-1
  • Kevin - 75546-1, 75550-1, 75551-1
  • Stuart - 75547-1, 75549-1, 75550-1, 75551-1
  • Gru - 75549-1

New suggestions for Star Wars:

  • Helmet Collection - 75276-1, 75277-1
  • Empire Strikes Back 40th Anniversary - 75276-1, 75277-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 hours ago, Retrieverfalcon said:

Helmet Collection - 75276-1, 75277-1

Is this an official LEGO category?

The rest is done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, TobyMac said:

Is this an official LEGO category?

The rest is done

It appears so. The term "Helmet Collection" appears on the side panel of both new sets. See image below for highlight:

 

D957DA80-0BC3-497E-9C63-4B808F5174D8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
48 minutes ago, Retrieverfalcon said:

appears so. The term "Helmet Collection" appears on the side panel of both new sets. See image below for highlight:

Added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now