Sign in to follow this  
unclepine

New guy with questions

Hey chaps, Canada calling, I got bit by  the Lego Technic bug and want to build more...like I NEED more hobbies at my age...LOL...! I just finished last week the 42109 Mobile Crane and must say it is quite the beast when all done. I was wondering if there are manuals available along with extra parts to re-build this crane into something else...? I'm not fully educated on this MOC thing at all, or if MOC even applies to my query as building "MOC" right now would surely mess up what little grey matter I have left...! I read a review here about a chap that built the 420981 Car Transporter and that it can be transformed into a car, trailer, flatbed truck, and open top van...is this correct, or am I missing something...?

Cheerio, and thanks for reading

welcome!

The easiest way to find what else you can build is to look on the alternate builds tab on the sets page. This list available official builds (b models, sub sets), and any MOCs users have made (alt builds, Modifications). 
I just checked the mobile crane set for you and we actually don’t have anything yet, but that’s common for new sets. It takes time for MOC designers to buy the set and design something else with it. There’s also no official b model for that set. 

The next thing to do is to use the build calcs tool to find something to build. 
To do this you need to have the set as owned in a set list and have your build calc settings to include the set. 
Next you click the Build tab on the toolbar. Run through the process and it will give you some sets you can build with your parts. 

hope that’s useful. 

You actually don't need to have the set as own to run a build check with it as long as the number of sets are three or less you can manually enter them in the process. So that can be used if you just want to know what else you can build if you get another set or two without committing to buying them.