seejay

Missing photos across the site

Recommended Posts

You may already be aware, but just in case, I'm seeing broken image icons both for part photos and for MOC images (from bricksafe). I've checked in incognito mode, so I don't think it's me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, seejay said:

You may already be aware, but just in case, I'm seeing broken image icons both for part photos and for MOC images (from bricksafe). I've checked in incognito mode, so I don't think it's me.  

I'm not seeing any problems, can you give some examples?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes, I am having the same issue. Going on for weeks now.  Same problem in Chrome or Edge.

I posted on their Facebook page and they deleted it without comment.

I guess they don't care.

Meanwhile my membership is set to renew on Friday.  Why am I paying for a site that doesn't work?

Rebrickable.png

Edited by Ergrak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, The problem for me lasted about 2 days.  I tried rebooting the PC but this made no difference.  Then, about 2 days after initial problem, the site had all the pictures displayed and its been fine ever since.  Very strange.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ergrak said:

Yes, I am having the same issue. Going on for weeks now.  Same problem in Chrome or Edge.

I posted on their Facebook page and they deleted it without comment.

I guess they don't care.

Meanwhile my membership is set to renew on Friday.  Why am I paying for a site that doesn't work?

I have never been able to reproduce this problem, it has always worked fine for me.

I also most definitely have not deleted any comments from Facebook because... I never log in to Facebook :)

Since it's still occurring for you, could you please help me test a few things and see if any of these URLs work for you:

https://rebrickable.com/static/img/title.png

https://cdn.rebrickable.com/static/img/title.png

https://rebrickable.com/media/thumbs/mocs/moc-36973.jpg/180x144c.jpg

https://cdn.rebrickable.com/media/thumbs/mocs/moc-36973.jpg/180x144c.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 3:50 PM, Nathan said:

I have never been able to reproduce this problem, it has always worked fine for me.

I also most definitely have not deleted any comments from Facebook because... I never log in to Facebook :)

Since it's still occurring for you, could you please help me test a few things and see if any of these URLs work for you:

https://rebrickable.com/static/img/title.png

https://cdn.rebrickable.com/static/img/title.png

https://rebrickable.com/media/thumbs/mocs/moc-36973.jpg/180x144c.jpg

https://cdn.rebrickable.com/media/thumbs/mocs/moc-36973.jpg/180x144c.jpg

 

#1 works.

#2 does not.

#3 works.

#4 does not.

It would seem the cdn links don't work.  When I try to use the site and the pictures fail it is with the cdn prefix.

When I try to use the site and all the pictures fail and I right-click on the missing image and "copy image address" it is with the CDN profix.

Why does it think I'm in Canada when I am in the US?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ergrak said:

#1 works.

#2 does not.

#3 works.

#4 does not.

It would seem the cdn links don't work.  When I try to use the site and the pictures fail it is with the cdn prefix.

When I try to use the site and all the pictures fail and I right-click on the missing image and "copy image address" it is with the CDN profix.

 

Thanks for the test. To be clear - is it always erroring for you or does it sometimes work?

3 hours ago, Ergrak said:

Why does it think I'm in Canada when I am in the US?

What IP address does it tell you at the bottom of the page?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All 4 are working for me. "Rebrickable thinks you are from FR with the IP address 47.192.28.159".  I'm actually in the US and not using VPN, though France is my usual home.

One thing I noted (probably not relevant) is that although the images are the same pixel dimensions and file size, they display (in Chrome on Win 10) at slightly different sizes (about 10% bigger from the cdn link than the rb link.

@Ergrak the "cdn" stands for "content delivery network" and is a way of delivering content faster by having something like mirrors of the files scattered around the world (or at least that's my very basic understanding of it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Nathan said:

Thanks for the test. To be clear - is it always erroring for you or does it sometimes work?

What IP address does it tell you at the bottom of the page?

It almost always does it.

the bottom of the page says it thinks I am in the US.

Could this be a setting in my antivirus/firewall?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went into Chrome settings and deleted cached images then rebooted.  STILL doesn't work.

No other sites are having this problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ergrak said:

It almost always does it.

the bottom of the page says it thinks I am in the US.

What IP address does it say? Or doesn't it say anything?

8 hours ago, Ergrak said:

Could this be a setting in my antivirus/firewall?

No. I don't know what it is yet though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, seejay said:

All 4 are working for me. "Rebrickable thinks you are from FR with the IP address 47.192.28.159".  I'm actually in the US and not using VPN, though France is my usual home.

The country can be overridden in your settings, which I assume you've done.

10 hours ago, seejay said:

One thing I noted (probably not relevant) is that although the images are the same pixel dimensions and file size, they display (in Chrome on Win 10) at slightly different sizes (about 10% bigger from the cdn link than the rb link.

Doesn't happen for me. At a guess - are you zoomed in on one of the domains and not the other?

10 hours ago, seejay said:

@Ergrak the "cdn" stands for "content delivery network" and is a way of delivering content faster by having something like mirrors of the files scattered around the world (or at least that's my very basic understanding of it).

Correct :) It also takes a lot of load off my web servers which no longer have to serve all those images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nathan said:

Doesn't happen for me. At a guess - are you zoomed in on one of the domains and not the other?

D'oh! Yes, that was it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2020 at 3:44 PM, seejay said:

D'oh! Yes, that was it.

That doesn't fix it for me.

 

So damned frustrating.  Crazy thing it works on my MS Surface, but I don't want to work on it's tiny 14 inch screen

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now