jaredhinton

Brick Categories Help Needed

Question

Hi All,

In our quest to make our part categories and descriptions consistent and useful I have hit a problem that has always annoyed me as a user. What is a Brick Wedge?

Rebrickable doesn't really have any formal definitions which has caused the categories to become mixed (for example we have many parts called Slopes in the Bricks Curved category). Here's my personal definitions for the categories, this is how I inventory my collection. Any help defining them better is welcome.

• A brick. As a rule I define Bricks as parts that are 2/3’s or more in height (not including studs obviously). Under that is a plate or tile.
  • Brick Curved: a brick that lowers or raises in height in anyway, and amount of times, with a curved surface.
  • Brick Sloped: a brick that lowers or raises in height in anyway, and amount of times, with a flat surface.
  • Brick Rounded: a brick that has a continuous curved surface.
  • Anything else is a special brick.

So Brick Wedged is what? A brick with both a curved and a flat surface (for the record I put these in Curved in my collection)?

I propose we drop wedged as a category all together and move all parts to somewhere else. I know this could be a large change for how some of you are used to looking through parts but it's clear that the current categories are too confusing to be useful.

Once these definitions are decided I will make a help page with them on (and definitions for other categories) giving us a formal policy of how to determine what category a part should be in.

6 answers to this question

10 hours ago, jaredhinton said:

Brick Rounded: a brick that has a continuous curved surface.

Do you mean surface or side?, like this one: I see curved as a surface that might start out as a wall, but when going endlessly, reaches a horizontal line. Like a can on it's side. In a round brick, the walls stay vertically or as a cone, like an upright can.
250x250p.jpg?1579393360.6395411

I think the base definition of Wedge is  a side that may have straight upright walls (but not necessary), but are not in a 90 deg angle with the other walls.  This is for instance a clear wedge:
250x250p.jpg?1579393566.059236 

The complications come when a part is both wedge, and has slopes and/or curves, like these:
250x250p.jpg?1579398453.6159117250x250p.jpg?1579518257.7269886

I'm in favor of dropping the category system, and creating a additional tag system, limited to only attributes found in part categories: Category Tags
The first image could get the tags: Brick, Round
The second image could get the tags: Brick, Wedge
The third image could get the tags: Brick, Wedge, Slope
The forth image could get the tags: Brick, Wedge, Slope, Curve

In search forms, instead of selecting 1 category, you get a list of Category Tags. You just select the ones that fit the part you search. Do you see a curve on your part? Select that tag. This way, you can find all parts that may have overlapping specifications, without on forehand knowing in which category we placed it in.

To be clear: I think this should be a system separated from the standard tag system already in place, Otherwise, the selection list in the search page gets long and messy.

12 hours ago, TobyMac said:

250x250p.jpg?1579393360.6395411

Side or surface are interchangeable, our round category tends to be the most easily defined. There’s definitely significantly less round bricks put in other categories like curved than bricks in other categories.

the following is how I define parts in my collection, not an authority. 
250x250p.jpg?1579393566.059236 
These parts go in special bricks. The height of the brick is unchanged, just the shape. You’re right. This is probably the purest example of a wedge brick but there’s so few that fit this type of brick.
If we drop wedge as a category that doesn’t mean the word would get dropped from its name. It would still be called a Brick Wedge so it could be found. 
250x250p.jpg?1579398453.6159117

this is definitely a slope in my collection. Straight surface that has a height change. 
250x250p.jpg?1579518257.7269886
This is curved. Curved surface that has a height change.

41 minutes ago, jaredhinton said:

250x250p.jpg?1579398453.6159117

this is definitely a slope in my collection. Straight surface that has a height change. 

I would add wedge because of the 45 deg pieces in the corner. But it's 'mostly' slope indeed. That's why I like the tag system: no matter your preference in naming, you'll find the brick you need. 

But caution is needed to keep the list of tags comprehensive.

Technic: Anything with a pin/pin hole, axle or axle/hole connection.

Plate: Any part where at least one section is 1/3 in height ie any part that include a [part]3024[/part] section in them.

Base Plate: Any part that is less then 1/3 in height in thickness, part may be raised,  ie part does not have anti-studs and has a size greater then 2 x N

Accessory: Any part with the 3mm round connection. either as a bar or hole, ie minifig stuff, (Exclude hollow studs and the accessory pins beneath bricks and plates)

Panels: Thin hollowed out part with at least one open edge width a depth of more then 2/3 and be missing anti-studs surface on this side (Excluding classic and slotted bricks)

Container: a Panel where 5 of 6 sides is walled, the remaining side may either be open or have a hatch. (Excluding classic and slotted bricks)

Cone: Parts which are round/hexagon and sloped

Agree with TobyMac:

is a Curved , Wedged and Sloped brick, there is no point in having tags if we limit us to just one on complex parts.

3 hours ago, biodreamer said:

Agree with TobyMac:

is a Curved , Wedged and Sloped brick, there is no point in having tags if we limit us to just one on complex parts.

No parts will be restricted to just one tag. A tag system like Toby suggests is not going to happen any time soon. But if it does happen then yes all those terms would be relevant to that part. 
This post is about what do we do with it in the meantime? 
If you were looking for this part where would you look first?

Curved

Sloped

Wedged

7 hours ago, jaredhinton said:

No parts will be restricted to just one tag. A tag system like Toby suggests is not going to happen any time soon. But if it does happen then yes all those terms would be relevant to that part. 
This post is about what do we do with it in the meantime? 
If you were looking for this part where would you look first?

Curved

Sloped

Wedged

Curved or Printed curve if that exist.