Balrog82

Rare Parts Marker

I just realized, that the marker for rare parts jeopardized my mind.

The rare parts marker is shown for parts that appear in 5 sets or less. From what I have seen, this applies to the part form, but ignores the color. Wouldn't it be better if it shows part type + color as rare?

Example:

Flex Axle 19L is not a rare part, since it occured in many sets.

Flex Axle 19L in black/white is a rare part because it appeared only in a single set each.

I can live with it either way. But I think the rare color would be interesting to know at once.

Or would it be possible to have a second marker that simply shows a rare color piece?

For the example above that would be perfect. The part itself is not rare, but it is rare in certain colors. Consequently, parts that appeared in a single color and a single set would get both markers.

What do you think?

Agree but then you probably want to go lower then 5 sets or all sets will have multiple rare parts.

OK, I've changed the rare banner to one of three levels:

1. Part Error = Unknown part or it's not used in any set

2. Color Error = Known part, but has never been used in that color in a set

3. Rare Color = The part/color only appears in 3 or less sets.

OK, I've changed the rare banner to one of three levels:

1. Part Error = Unknown part or it's not used in any set

2. Color Error = Known part, but has never been used in that color in a set

3. Rare Color = The part/color only appears in 3 or less sets.

I would rather classify them as "Unknown part" and "Unknown Color" they are not necissary errors. All parts/colors don't belong to a offical set or haven't been put there yet. another title that could be used instead of unknown is "special" as if they are design specific and not offical.

The idea and its implementation are very useful!

However, as the 'Rare' banner now appears more often, the problem of its positioning has become more significant. For example, it overlays number indicating the length of Technic axles and beams. Also if the banner overlays part's outline, it can be illegible.

Another issue concerns minifigs. A lot of printed minifig parts have 'Rare Color' marker which seems obvious. Thus the 'Minifigs' section of inventory becomes overfilled.

Yeah move it to a lower corner perhaps. its good to find faults in either RB catalog or your own inventory.

Looks nice the Rare Color tag.

Lets you see how rare some parts are.

And very usefull for designing a moc not to many otherwise nobody is gone build it.

But be carefull with the Part Error, just like the 3068a i have them, and there are a lott more taged Part Error which are in my collection.

Even the Color Error gives parts just in my collection maybe not so wise to tag these like the 40344 in Yellow.

It is not used in known sets but there are a lot for sale.

Nice job Nathan, however I agree with the above suggestions. 'Error' sounds a bit harsh. Also, not a big fan of the warning symbol with exclamation mark. A simple notice should suffice I think, it looks slightly messy now.

Edit: for brand new molds it also says 'Part Error' unless you hit 'save changes' to clear the cache.

I did try several different things:

- Using Unknown instead of Error but it was too hard to read at that small font size, and making it bigger just got in the way too much.

- Having the symbol as well as text looked better to me than just text by itself.

- Having a solid white background instead of transparent, but it looked ugly to me. Maybe I can tweak this further.

I will move it to a different corner though, and also change the Similar banner.

I have two suggestions:  :rolleyes: 

1) Do not show "Rare Color" marker for minifig printed parts, at least in the loose parts lists.

2) Add an option (check box) to hide markers in loose parts lists. This can optionally substitute the first suggestion.

Also might want to suppress the 'Color Error' bit for Chrome Silver parts, as these are often custom parts.

I want to avoid having exceptions everywhere. If it's unobtrusive enough it shouldn't matter if it's all over the place.

If it's unobtrusive enough it shouldn't matter if it's all over the place.

I find it quite obtrusive. At least half of the minifig parts in my inventory are marked rare. I was dazzled when I looked over my inventory. Besides, that's just an obvious and therefore redundant information. However, check box mentioned above could solve the problem without creating exceptions.

Hmm... That's better, but considering the projection angle of LDraw renders, markers in the top left corner of pictures often get over parts' outlines. However, if markers are placed over pictures, it will always be some cases of overlapping. :)

Btw, rare parts explanation in tooltips is very useful too!

I didn't follow this up properly until now. I just checked my collection and it is interesting to see how many rare colored parts I have.

Also the rare color indicator is pretty nice, still very visible without obstructing the part itself. Good job.

I like the idea of just marking rare colored parts that means at least that a part is a rare color, but the part form itself can also be rare as well.

There is a flaw caused by my ideabook sets here. if a rare part has been used in any of those sets it gets atleast another two sets which can't be bought added to it, usually bringing it above 3 set. same goes for submodels that gotten their entries.

If we look at part "4478p03" that baseplate exist only in two offical sets, but thanks to that there is a house in ideabook 250-1 it gets two extra entries bringing it up to a total of four. So now it's not marked rare anylonger. Ideabook 250 didn't come with any parts, so neither the master inventory or the house idea should count toward rarity. because there was no physical parts so they will still remain as hard to get as before. if I would publish ideabook 200 the set count would climb even further bring more sets beyond the rareity limit. 

The best solution for this is a LOC category where LEGO sets without a physical inventory is added, where the inventory is available for build purpouses only, not for filling your collection or add to rarity or total number of sets. anything LEGO publish may it be a magazine, book, ideabook, leafleet, alternate builds or whatever could go here.