jantjeuh

Rebrickable Parts Numbering Vs. Bricklink Parts Numbering

I've noticed on multiple occasions that Rebrickable sometimes uses different parts numbering than Bricklink does. Is there any reason for this? Are the inventories sourced from some other source than Bricklink? This quite often leads to errors/inaccuracies when trying to use the mass upload function of Bricklink.

They are using LDraw numbering when possible and they don't allways match bricklink or other sites. the differences is likely to just increase in the future. but they should allways has the correct references to the other sites, ie if you open up a part reference it should point to the right ID independent on what this site is using as ID. That way conversion from one site to this or the other way around should work.

Being a MOC site it makes sense that it's based on a community MOC tool ID's rather then a marketplace.

Imo

Should they work to unify the ID's in first hand instead of using site X, then site Y, then site Z ID's so that all parts, molds retain generic naming system rather then a messed up mix of all sites.

bricklink ID's like crssprt01* should be replaced with 3008* number just to keep bricks with same or very similar apperance next to each other. and Bricklink wouldn't beable to claim they have taken intellectual property from them. 

basically the idea should be to have as good catalog as possible not to make then having all visible ID to be the same. You should still beable to search by reference however.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess the 'conversion' just messes up sometimes, I'll try to leave a comment when I find one of those errors.

This is a work in progress, and given the way BLLtd are behaving, it's a sensible one. We will be renaming and renumbering a lot of parts. The numbering will always be mappable to other numbering systems. What exactly it will be isn't decided, Nathan and I will thrash something out. Almost certainly the naming conventions will be Lego based.

AFAIK there's been no issues like there have been at Brick Owl.

If you find any that are weird just comment on the part, or post in this subforum.

Having more part categories will be a big help and might even be enough incentive to get me to start some serious work on my loose part inventory.

Please move part 6641 Technic Changeover Catch from Other to Technic Bricks.   Also would it be possible to add a tag for "axle hole"? 

I spent about an hour trying to find the part number using Peeron BL and rebrickable catalogs the other day.  Not being a Technic type person, when I look at the part, I have no idea what its function is, but I can see that it has an axle hole.  

I'll post when all the moving is done and every part is where it should be. I'll then ask for some consensus for the weird parts.

Thea:- 32064's got broken in a search algorithm update, but should work now. I'm also renaming a lot of parts, and I'll make sure to look at axle holes.  

EDIT:- also try pin hole, as axle holes are crosses, actual holes take pins and axles.

As mentioned, I have always tried to stick with the LDraw scheme where possible for a variety of reasons. However, there are also mapping tables that convert part numbers from one system to another: Bricklink, Peeron, LDraw, LDD, and I've just added BOID which isn't visible anywhere yet. I also have a separate mapping table for "normalising" parts which is used mainly to convert old molds to new ones where there are no functional differences... All in the name of making parts more reusable between sets. As you can imagine, the mappings can get terribly complicated and the code is a nightmare! The idiot who wrote it should be shot.

I have just run into one of the parts that I was talking about in another post with regards to keeping an inventory true to the parts available at the time the set was made.  One of the big errors with BL inventories is their use of 3626bp01 with the description "stud hollow" in sets that were released before hollow stud minifig heads existed.  3626ap01 is the correct part for sets before 1989.  A search for 3626ap*  here brings up a number of printed heads with solid stud, but they all have 0 sets listed.  Is there any plan to correct these inventories at rebrickable?  I read the explanation for why it's that way at BL but it still bugs me that the inventories are wrong.  When I've purchased a pre-89 set, I always asked first about the minifig head stud if it wasn't already in the description.

Eventually yes, I'd like everything as accurate as possible, and moving away from BL conventions is a good idea. As long as we keep the mappings correct export should be fine.

If you ever find a weird mapping just post here, or on the part itself. I collect as I'm going along and give Nathan a list weekly.

And Thea: I missed a load of stuff in my dark ages, I'd love more insight to get us more correct. There's a lot of parts, especially minifigs without sets because I haven't added them yet. There's too many things to do!

It's great to get feedback from everyone. I've only been out of my dark ages for a couple of years so there's a lot I'm not familiar with!

Do your system allow regular images or is it just rendered 3D images you want. We could work on giving you alot of pictures especially on bricks that is very unlikley to ever show up in LDRAW. such as the fabuland figures, or some of the texture variants.

when it comes to naming you should use one exclusive naming schedule and not mix all system together. it will make the site easier to travererse, easier to build feature upon and easier to judge which version you should use. Today you sometimes have two or three version of the same brick coming up, even without mold difference.

My darkage starts around 1995 up to now. so I can give alot of info regarding molds and their used in the year that predates that. from 1954 and forward. (it was before I was borned but my father stuff remain in mine and I have extended it since then.

Eventually yes, I'd like everything as accurate as possible, and moving away from BL conventions is a good idea. As long as we keep the mappings correct export should be fine.

If you ever find a weird mapping just post here, or on the part itself. I collect as I'm going along and give Nathan a list weekly.

And Thea: I missed a load of stuff in my dark ages, I'd love more insight to get us more correct. There's a lot of parts, especially minifigs without sets because I haven't added them yet. There's too many things to do!

I am starting to do some actual building for the BlackBrickFriday challenge I didn't get finished last year.  A Grand Emporium at one end of our mobile home with a line of shoppers stretching all the way down the middle to the Cafe Corner 70+ ft away.  Each shopper has to be unique and have a black body part.  There will also be a Thanksgiving Day parade that will be next to the shopper's line.  250-1-s26-1 will be in the parade along with any of the other 250 models I build.

Then there's the annual train display at Christmas time.  After that the really big task of creating an educational display covering the 30 years we've been collecting LEGO sets.  Followed by the monumental amount of time sharing it with kids at various schools.

However, I will be here regularly so just ask for the help when you need it.  I will offer advice or suggestions always with the understanding that everyone has a life outside of rebrickable and getting things done right slowly is so much better than fixing mistakes fast...over and over again.

Now for some sleep.  Later I hope to get some pictures transferred from my cell phone to the computer and upload them to bricksafe.

Eventually I hope for a simple naming schedule, with the rules posted here, and decided after discussion. It will end up being similar to most other naming schema, because the Lego designID is most of it. Remapping to other systems and schemes will take care of the rest.

First though I want to get everything where it should be, because it will make later changes easier.

1. Get everything where it should be category wise
  2. Get inventories as good as they can be
  3. Get minifigs into those inventories
  4. Clear orphaned parts [and there's a lot]
  5. Have a holiday

afaik, rebrickable is treating combined pieces as a diffrent piece, there is no inventory so to speak. what is the plan for these, how should I know if I should mark something as each seperate piece or it's combined counterpart?

Bricklink has gone overboard here they have parts that you can't get without breaking one or more piece of a combined counterpart. to me it should be balanced so you don't harm or high risk ofharming a piece just to build.

Things that can be split with little risk, and that LEGO used to, or do now, supply separate: brick hinges for example will be inventoried as separate parts. Plate hinges won't, as they are supplied whole.

Things that can be split [minifig legs/hips] will not be separate parts, just because they can be split doesn't mean they will be inventoried that way. There's a limit to how far you split something. If you are unsure - if the parts might bet damaged by dismantling, i.e. loose grip, or break, they stay together.

So torsos, with arms and legs = 1 part

Hips and legs = 1 part

plate hinges = 1 part [especially the old ones] - but a cXX part to denote complete assembly

I've started on the printed bricks, and where the brick is in less than three sets I'm adding the set numbers in parentheses, this helps them show up when you search for a set number, you'll see the associated printed bricks. This makes it easier to identify a set from random bricks as well.

So torsos, with arms and legs = 1 part

Hips and legs = 1 part

I'm waiting impatiently to see that torso with arms and legs! :wacko:  :P

I'm waiting impatiently to see that torso with arms and legs! :wacko:  :P

The Lego Monkey is already done you know.

The Lego Monkey is already done you know.

So I guess the monkey only has arms and legs-no hands or feet?

Torsos with arms and legs!

<-- What a plonker.

Note to self, don't post when high on fumes from burning Megabloks!

I've started on the printed bricks, and where the brick is in less than three sets I'm adding the set numbers in parentheses, this helps them show up when you search for a set number, you'll see the associated printed bricks. This makes it easier to identify a set from random bricks as well.

This gives you lots of karma points to make up for the handicapped monkey. :D

Note to self, don't post when high on fumes from burning Megabloks!

Just hope you weren't in the middle of a Megabloks burning when you did the printed bricks. :P