Is there an option for replacing a color?

For example, say you want to build this http://rebrickable.com/mocs/docbrown/deadly-nightshade-off-road-buggy

all stylish parts are dark blue. As I do not own a 41999, I , and I guess most people, do not have these parts in dark blue.

I might have them in yellow or red. So it would be great if I could check this. My guess would be to tell the system to change the MOC parts dark blue for yellow ones. 

Is this feature hidden somewhere? Or if not, is it possible to create this option?

Keep up the good work!

This is not possible yet, but might be implemented in the future. For now, the 'fastest' way is to download the inventory as a BrickStore inventory, open it up in BrickStore/BrickStock, change all Dark Blue parts to your colour of preference, and then re-upload the changed inventory as a private MOC. Then, you can check whether you can build it.

Alternatively, ask the MOC author to upload different versions of the MOC in different colour schemes  ;)

I use another alternative, which applies to small models like this one. There is the list of all parts you have. When you include set parts, you have a beautiful, categorized view of everything you have. Now I have this view permanently open in a pinned tab on my browser (Firefox on a desktop). A quick look in 3-6 categories ist mostly sufficient to see whether I have parts in a certain colour in the same amount in a different colour.

Note: for large models this method is really getting too complicated (without the help of a large spreadsheet), because the parts you substitute are perhaps also needed for the rest of the model in that particular colour you normally DO have enough parts of, AS LONG as you don't use more of them to substitute the missing colour. Read this sentence twice, then you'll understand ;). Fore example: substituting all grey parts of the cvontainer on Madoca's Wing Body Truck with white, involves to not forget that the cabin also uses white parts, decreasing the available number of white parts you can use for the container.

Just an idea for this color changing that multiple people seem to want, but maybe in the database for the parts file an entry for color index could be added along side the standard color entry. If no data is present, then it acts like normal, but the indexed parts could then easily have their color changed based on what colors are available for those parts. The part that may make it trickier is when you don't want all of the parts of a certain part number to be part of an index.

I guess another way to do it would be just have a separate list of index data that says what parts belong to each index color.

Sorry if my ramblings don't make much sense, I am a bit tired this morning.

http://rebrickable.com/sets/3177-1/small-car-traffic-2010 would look something like this

Part_________Color_Num_Index

3622_________15____2___i3

970c00_______2_____1___

3626bpr0645__14____1___

973pr1573c01_15____1___

62810________308___1___

3023_________2_____4___i6

3020_________15____1___i3

3022_________15____2___i4

3710_________15____1___i3

3023_________36____1___

3069b________15____1___i5

60481________0_____2___i1

54200________15____2___i5

45677________0_____1___i1

4449_________70____1___

4865a________15____1___i3

44728________15____2___i3

2412b________72____1___

30028________0_____4___

30027b_______71____4___i7

3821_________15____1___i3

3822_________15____1___i3

2441_________0_____1___

3788_________0_____1___i1

3829c01______1_____1___i2

3788_________15____1___i3

4073_________47____2___

57783________40____1___

Colour subsets have already been discussed a while back, and a similar implementation was proposed back then. I'm not sure what the status of the feature is, but there are currently a lot of higher priority things in front of the queue.

The solution for this is a colour vector applied on the database inventory entry, however to get a proper solution each entry would need default colour vector or the system wouldn't be able to use the same colour twice on diffrent contained groups. You could extract this from a unique color vector and extend it in the few cases where same color is needed.

The solution for this is a colour vector applied on the database inventory entry, however to get a proper solution each entry would need default colour vector or the system wouldn't be able to use the same colour twice on diffrent contained groups. You could extract this from a unique color vector and extend it in the few cases where same color is needed.

I am not familiar with a colour vector, is there any place I can read up on what you are describing?

I am not familiar with a colour vector, is there any place I can read up on what you are describing?

it's a vector containing colour ID's nothing specific about them. just a merge of words. like most computer termology. so if you know what a Vector is you also know what a colour vector is.

it would be like this: {blackID,redID,trans-yellowID} if there is three colour groups in the inventory.

so if we take your example of 3177-1 subset the car, so we simply ignore the minifig in this scenerio. (it would add atleast another three colours)

The car has a whooping nine colours so it's colour vector. DEFAULT VECTOR = {Black,Blue,Dark Blueish Grey,Green,Light Blueish Grey, Trans-Black, Trans-Clear, Trans-Red, White}

those are the default colours definied in set 3177-1.

so you want another set of colours simply apply another colour vector.

Sounds easy right? 

not quite what your really are doing is chopping up the sets into colour inventories which the system need to beable to handle seperatly and preferly as fast as one entity.

there need to be security code that checks if colour X can be applied to all parts within the colour group.  So the second parameter can't be Green because no 3829c01 exist in green for example. the bigger number of parts that exist in one colour chunk the less potential colour versions are available for that entry.

However lets we can most of the time bypass that requirement because applying it is just a waste of cycles. This is only need during verification of new sets and MOCS, to raise flags for the inventory managers.

the simple reason that we can bypass it is that the user will only care about what colours HE/SHE got. so we can be pretty sure there won't be any green parts in there. (if it does it's a user error)

now this must be janked into Nathans magic optimized RB database query match code. without grinidng the site to a halt.

it's not trickier then somethings he  is already doing. it's hard work to code it and especially doing so without breaking anything else in the process.

Would that function well enough to be useful? Would it allow for things like changing some parts of a certain color to another color, or are you stuck changing the entire color to something else at the same time?

Would that function well enough to be useful? Would it allow for things like changing some parts of a certain color to another color, or are you stuck changing the entire color to something else at the same time?

It would change all colour of a specific colour group at the same time. You could of course as a inventory manager split same colour into multiple colour group and open up for more diverse colouring but the system can never be flexible enough to allow any manipulation by running on a existing inventory. anything beyond that would need to clone the inventory and then apply any changes. 

you can't do it part by part. if you want that use todays  build by ignore color.

I would say that it would be very usefull and still make most combination look somewhat good.

if we take 3177-1 currently it allows 1 colour combination if you apply the above system.

You can replace Black with "Black, Red, Yellow, White" assuming we special treat tires to remain "Black" or we wouldn't be able to change this colour group at all.

That gives us 4 variants so far.

Looking at next group: Blue since it's a one part colour it's all seven version possible.

giving us a total of 4*7 =28 variants so far

third group is Dark bluish Grey another one part colour granting another 33 opaque combinations.

4*7*33= 924 variants

fourth group is Green another one part colour granting another 40 opaque combinations

4*7*33*40= 36960 variants

the fifth group is Light Bluish grey yet another one part colour granting another 12 combinations

4*7*33*40*12= 443520 variants

the sixth group is Trans-Black another one part colour group. it only exist in two colours.

4*7*33*40*12*2 = 887040 variants

the seventh group is Trans-Clear another one part colour group giving us 13 trans colour variants

4*7*33*40*12*2*13=11531520 variants

the eight group is Trans-Red another on part group giving us 8 trans colour variants

4*7*33*40*12*2*13*8=92252160 variants

the last ninth group is white give us following colours (Black, Blue,Red,Light Grey, Yellow,White, Orange, Dark Blueish Grey) 

4*7*33*40*12*2*13*8*9= 830 269 440 diffrent variantions of this car can be built. of course most would only care about the 4*9 main group colour changes giving the 36 diffrent variants.

The likely hood that I can build the car is however not almost a billion higher, that's not how LEGO statistics works. it was Zero before and it remains zero because the car contain parts I don't own in ANY colour. But it open up for a higher diversity and a cool tool to play around with especially if it came with a 3D renderer that could replace the colour on the fly. but that last part is just dreaming he isn't not an expert in 3D graphic he is it in database optimizations. so someone else need to build that for him, for that to happen.

What about just adding fake colors into the system that get remapped to a color as needed. Say instead of calling some black parts color 0, they get called 416 instead. Some other black parts get called 424, but some are just still 0. Have 416 and 424 mapped to color 0 by default, but be able to change them to a different color as desired.

Just for playing around I added this to the bottom of my LDConfig.ldr file. The colors assigned were more to make them easier to tell apart in an actual model. Naming I just added _iXX_ to the beginning so that in MLCAD going to the color selection dialog and viewing them by name makes them show up at the top. Custom color codes can also be added to the beginning to a LDR/MPD file.

0 // Rebrickable Indexed Colors

0 !COLOUR _i01_Black CODE 416 VALUE #05131D EDGE #F3CF9B

0 !COLOUR _i02_Dark_Grey CODE 417 VALUE #6C6E68 EDGE #F3CF9B

0 !COLOUR _i03_Light_Grey CODE 418 VALUE #A0A5A9 EDGE #F3CF9B

0 !COLOUR _i04_White CODE 419 VALUE #FFFFFF EDGE #F3CF9B

0 !COLOUR _i05_Red CODE 420 VALUE #C91A09 EDGE #F3CF9B

0 !COLOUR _i06_Green CODE 421 VALUE #257A3E EDGE #F3CF9B

0 !COLOUR _i07_Blue CODE 422 VALUE #0055BF EDGE #F3CF9B

0 !COLOUR _i08_Yellow CODE 423 VALUE #F2CD37 EDGE #F3CF9B

0 !COLOUR _i09_Black CODE 424 VALUE #05131D EDGE #E6E3E0

0 !COLOUR _i10_Dark_Grey CODE 425 VALUE #6C6E68 EDGE #E6E3E0

0 !COLOUR _i11_Light_Grey CODE 426 VALUE #A0A5A9 EDGE #E6E3E0

0 !COLOUR _i12_White CODE 427 VALUE #FFFFFF EDGE #E6E3E0

0 !COLOUR _i13_Red CODE 428 VALUE #C91A09 EDGE #E6E3E0

0 !COLOUR _i14_Green CODE 429 VALUE #257A3E EDGE #E6E3E0

0 !COLOUR _i15_Blue CODE 430 VALUE #0055BF EDGE #E6E3E0

0 !COLOUR _i16_Yellow CODE 431 VALUE #F2CD37 EDGE #E6E3E0

0 !COLOUR _i17_Black CODE 432 VALUE #05131D EDGE #C1DFF0

0 !COLOUR _i18_Dark_Grey CODE 433 VALUE #6C6E68 EDGE #C1DFF0

0 !COLOUR _i19_Light_Grey CODE 434 VALUE #A0A5A9 EDGE #C1DFF0

0 !COLOUR _i20_White CODE 435 VALUE #FFFFFF EDGE #C1DFF0

0 !COLOUR _i21_Red CODE 436 VALUE #C91A09 EDGE #C1DFF0

0 !COLOUR _i22_Green CODE 437 VALUE #257A3E EDGE #C1DFF0

0 !COLOUR _i23_Blue CODE 438 VALUE #0055BF EDGE #C1DFF0

0 !COLOUR _i24_Yellow CODE 439 VALUE #F2CD37 EDGE #C1DFF0

0 !COLOUR _i25_Reddish_Brown CODE 440 VALUE #582A12 EDGE #F3CF9B

0 !COLOUR _i26_Dark_Tan CODE 441 VALUE #958A73 EDGE #F3CF9B

0 !COLOUR _i27_Tan CODE 442 VALUE #E4CD9E EDGE #F3CF9B

0 !COLOUR _i28_Trans_Clear CODE 443 VALUE #FCFCFC EDGE #F3CF9B ALPHA 128

0 !COLOUR _i29_Trans_Red CODE 444 VALUE #C91A09 EDGE #F3CF9B ALPHA 128

0 !COLOUR _i30_Trans_Green CODE 445 VALUE #237841 EDGE #F3CF9B ALPHA 128

0 !COLOUR _i31_Trans_Dark_Blue CODE 446 VALUE #0020A0 EDGE #F3CF9B ALPHA 128

0 !COLOUR _i32_Trans_Yellow CODE 447 VALUE #F5CD2F EDGE #F3CF9B ALPHA 128

No need for fake colours having several groups in same colour is not a problem. but the set/MOC author need to define them. there is no easy automatic detection system to split same colour into multiple right now. and making that work on all thousnads of sets is simply not something we should consider right now. A automatic system would require a software(3D) instruction that a algorithm could process to find proper groups out off.

It would be an option that would make it useable for MOC authors though. Also, if the actual file were kept around, it could probably then replace the fake color with a real color.

I am not sure what is being used to render the 3D stuff right now, but http://www.lugato.net/brigl/copypaste.html does a pretty nice render for a complete model. Having it change the color in real time while recoloring would be pretty neat.

Edit: Looks like the 3d part view is brigl

It would be an option that would make it useable for MOC authors though. Also, if the actual file were kept around, it could probably then replace the fake color with a real color.

I am not sure what is being used to render the 3D stuff right now, but http://www.lugato.net/brigl/copypaste.html does a pretty nice render for a complete model. Having it change the color in real time while recoloring would be pretty neat.

Edit: Looks like the 3d part view is brigl

Just chiming in to say I want to do something with this replace color idea, just don't have any specifics yet (and it's a low priority). 

I actually already use Nicola's 3D rendering code that you linked to for the part details pages. He helped me modify it to get the auto rotating parts displaying. The static renders are done offsite with POVRay and can't be done in real time.

It seems that the real time full set renders look pretty nice. I copied and pasted in Market Street earlier and it worked perfectly.

Just chiming in to say I want to do something with this replace color idea, just don't have any specifics yet (and it's a low priority). 

I actually already use Nicola's 3D rendering code that you linked to for the part details pages. He helped me modify it to get the auto rotating parts displaying. The static renders are done offsite with POVRay and can't be done in real time.

How are you doing the "similiar" and ignore color code. is it manipulating the inventory side or the user inventory or both? might be something in that code you can reuse to push it to more use.

I did a rough mockup of my thoughts on how it could work using a macro enabled excel document and the Brigl copypaste demo at lugato.net

http://bricksafe.com/files/zurno/Forums/Indexed%20Color%20Recolor%20Concept.xlsm

Please don't laugh too much at the VBA I cobbled together to get it to work somewhat nicely.