biodreamer

(Rejected) Sticky Suggestion

I suggest that each individual Sticker becomes a excluded part, not only the sheet, so I can mark which have survived the years, while other has been lost. and still see  what set they belong too. This would allow stickers on MOCS that belong to other set even on other parts.

At first I thought this was a great idea.  But then I realized how much work it would be for me to do an inventory of all the individual official LEGO stickers I have that are not applied to a LEGO part.  

How to go about it?  We already have difficulty writing descriptions for printed pieces.  At least with those there is a basic LEGO element to serve as a starting point.  The complete sheets have a number, but the individual stickers do not.  What kind of system of numbering could be applied consistently?  Some cultures read left to right and others read right to left and still others read top to bottom.  

Other than the stickers that are magnetic, the regular stickers don't usually serve a purpose except to make things pretty.  I would rather spend time building than inventorying "pretty".  

Nathan and I have discussed stickers. They aren't really rebrickable [or in the rebrickable ethos], and those with no recorded sets, and those not in inventories, or peoples parts collections probably won't have any further work done to them. New ones won't be added. Sticker sheets will, as usual and be excluded from build results.

The stickers that are in our catalogue now are as a result of the bot that was used to crawl Bricklink for parts and sets. They were added automagically.

This no longer happens.

That being said they are useful in identifying sets, and making entering inventory from a mixed lot quicker. So the ones we have in catalogue now will stay.

This might change in the future, and to be fair there are other catalogues that keep these far better than we probably could.

I'd love a fully inclusive catalogue, but the work involved would be insane with stickered bricks too. Rebrickable may evolve that way, I can't say.