biodreamer

Ideabook 8888-1 Expert Builder (Technic)

Okay it's time to pick another ideabook, while I try to get my hand on the missing parts of 250-1. And I have choosen to start with the first technic ideabook. it's already in rebrickables system and I know that there is plenty of technic building community members around.

I will simply start by dividing the book down to it's subparts, before I start building and submitting what i can.

so here is 8888-1 scope:

8888-1-x4a-1 (MOC yellow/red crane) [submitted]

8888-1-p4b-1 Small Harbor Crane http://rebrickable.com/sets/8888-1-p4b-1/technic-harbor-crane-harbor-1980

8888-1-p4b-2 Subset blue/red/yellow crane (with motors)

8888-1-p12a-1 Blue crane (no motors) 

8888-1-p12a-2 Blue crane (with motors)

8888-1-p12b-1 Small Construction Crane http://rebrickable.com/sets/8888-1-p12b-1/small-construction-crane-construction-1980

8888-1-p12c-1 Tall version Blue crane

8888-1-x20-1 Crane http://rebrickable.com/mocs/biodreamer/8888-1-x20-1-crane

8888-1-p21-1 (Yellow scale)

The tractor is set 851-1 so that one is excluded. 

8888-1-x22-1 (MOC manure spreader)

8888-1-p24-1 Harrow?

8888-1-p26-1 Harvester

8888-1-x28-1 MOC Harvester combine

8888-1-p30-1 Excavator

8888-1-p38-1 Helicopter

8888-1-x39-1 MOC Airplane

8888-1-p44-1 Blue Truck

8888-1-x45-1 MOC Yellow Car

8888-1-x62-1 MOC Blue jeep

8888-1-p64-1 Yellow Car

8888-1-p69-1 pullback vechicle

8888-1-p70-1 clock

8888-1-p74-1 walking dog

8888-1-p78-1 slot card programmable crane

8888-1-x94-1 MOC Printer

I can more or less build them all, i just have one issue with my parts, my motors are the black 12V engines, not the Grey 4.5V and my battery box is also black. so i miss some motor parts that's all.

Edited by biodreamer

Sounds like a good challenge!   :D   For those not familiar with the Lego Technic Idea Books (8888, 8889, 8890, and 8891), you can download the PDF copies from SkyDrive:

8888:  https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5641CCE2A1CC0886!162

8889:  https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5641CCE2A1CC0886!164

8890:  https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5641CCE2A1CC0886!161

8891:  https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5641CCE2A1CC0886!163

8888-1.jpg  8889-1.jpg    8890-1.jpg  8891-1.jpg

I am skipping the MOC 8888-1-x4a-1 because I miss the two 6216m1.gifthat should control the crane.

and has built the first subset 8888-1-p4b-1. The instruction is a bit flawed here, if you use 140 chain parts, the chain would actually drag into the ground, so I tightened it or it would look or work right. Just need to get me some black string before taking a image.

Are there any technic ideabooks for studless parts?

I have it too!!! The book is awesome. I have made the custom differential and made fotos of it. Maybe we can ask sariel if we're allowed to post the parts lists here. I only don't have any suspensionspecialyzed parts, so i cant really build many things from this book.

well since it's unoffical and not a LEGO set, you wouldn't get a set or part id for the catalog on rebrickable. I personally se no harm in posting them as MOCS, however MOCs require instructions on this site. not sure if it's acceptable to refer to books that you need to buy. check with Nathan before doing any of the work. I can say that I am no use with modern sets, allmost all my parts are a few decade old. if he is postive to the suggestion start your own thread about that book, and if i see some cool build images, I might get tempted to try more modern Lego for a change.

<--- whoho I don't have that weird brick in my collection

Since The Unofficial Lego Technic Builder's Guide is copyrighted, you can't post Sariel's building instructions on Rebrickable without getting express, written permission from the publisher (No Starch Press) and the author (Pawel Kmiec).  Don't be cheap -- buy the book at http://nostarch.com/technicbuilder or Amazon.com.

tn_235_8888-1-p4b-1.JPG

8888-1-p4b-1 submitted for approval

I used white strings in picture, I think that is acceptable since strings aren't really LEGO and I couldn't find any black strings to use. The instruction says that you need 140 chain parts but it should really be 104 or the chain would be dragging into the ground otherwise.

The fact that the crane is using two strings make it hard to make the cargo lift straight and is likely to lean in one direction or the other, this make the cargo harder to move beneath the crane to where the loading truck/train should be. the gap is to narrow, include that with the fact that the support will be blocking if the cargo is lifted to high. The functionality to move and lift the cargo work great, it just need a different cargo lifting method. With some minor redesign this is a good set.

I will be moving onto the blue cranes now, since I am missing the motors and gearboxes to motorize this model.

You've got 104 chain links in the submission, I'll keep it at that and add a set note. Do you have an approximate string length for the two strings? I hate undetermined things!

I used about 80 cm each, but I used a bit extra so it could go below "ground level", Longer is not a problem, you can go a bit shorter aswell.

Okay been a while i got stuck half finished with the blue crane when my blue 1x16 technic brick ran out. I thought I had plenty of them but the large crane require a whooping 22 pieces. That's twice what I got. The medium needs 16, which also more then I got. So I did move on today with building the small version. Noticed that the white string I used in previous crane is to thick to work in this. So I will have to go hunting for (black) strings again.

It's been awhile for me too.  I've been busy verifying orders I placed at BrickLink.  One day there were a total of 14 boxes that arrived.

As payment for all the work I did finding the parts he needs for his Ultimate 42009 Crane, Paul bought approximately 265 pounds of unsorted LEGO items for me that came in 5 VERY LARGE boxes.  It's going to take me some time to go through all those on top of the 2 store sell-outs I already had in the works before he bought all that.  

On first look there seems to be a fair amount of Technic stuff, so maybe I can help you out with the 1x16.  I'm pretty sure one of my orders in the last year had one lot of 12 or so strings in boxes.  Not sure what length they are, but I'll take a look for them later today.

I have bought 100 meter extra strong black sewing threads, so I will be good for quite a while. it's the same thread that usually LEGO use in the old 80's sets, unless it was for firehoses, then they used a thicker string. Time to see if the submit set works today, it was busted during the weekend. it wouldn't load pictures and was screwing up the image paths.

8888-1-p12b-1.JPG

8888-1-p12b-1 submitted for approval.

This set require thin thread/string or the crane won't opperate correctly. You have two winches one that operate the crane booms angle, and one that raise lower the cargo.

during construction and if it the crane angle is very high/low without cargo this crane is back heavy and will fall over backwards.

the string length is 60 cm for the boom and 80cm for lifting the cargo.

in overall the design for the larger cranes are better and if you got the parts it's better to aim for them.

Also a side note this crane can be built from the ideabook image alone, there is no hidden details, however if you use a scanned book your most likely missing a section of the crane. So get your hand on a real book so you get a better image and more details then the scans out there.

I have built: 8888-1-x20-1, I will take pictures when the sun has gone up tomorrow. I will then post a few images and let you guys try to spot any errors. And if no error's is noted I will create a MOC with instructions for it. after that you guys have confimred that I haven't missed anything on the image in my build.

I know that the roof should be a 6x8 Yellow plate. So that is something I lack but I will *cheat* with two 4x6.

I have uploaded a couple of images for the moc on my bricksafe account: http://bricksafe.com/pages/biodreamer/8888-1 take a look and see if you can spot anything I missed from the image in ideabook. The only flaw I can see is that the axle support make the tower scewed, but that must be the intention; the image in the book is having that design.

This is the Technic book that I don't have a copy of and you mentioned the scans not being very good.  The one at peeron looks like there is part of a page missing.  I can't tell how to do the gray part on the back of the cabin. 

I did look at your pictures.  The tower looks really tilted -skewed- like you said.

Your right that you can't see more then the edge of the grey parts in the back, so I have free handed the back, choosed to go all grey instead of yellow/grey. A few other spot alos needed some freehand. This is also the reason this will become a MOC rather then a subset. The axle support is 10' because 8' is to short to reach that far. and 10' is really to long, Personally I would have used other pin holes to not scew it but it's quite clear which holes they used. at this time period there was no 9' axles. so the design is scewed on purpouse. Because the tower attachment doesn't look asymmetrical in the image. which would be the only other way to unscew it.

Okay this is my first MOC instruction created with Pictures and not a 3D software. So I would like some feedback before submitting it for approval.

http://bricksafe.com/files/biodreamer/8888-1/8888-1-X20-1.pdf

There is a few small details that might not be as visual as i would want, and the instruction do show what kind of season it is. the sun is setting early causeing each number to be a bit darker then the previous one. I simply do not have enough cloudfree day time, to get anything done if I didn't accept this flaw. I think i did these 3-4 pm. I am not as lucky as Nathan, being down under with summer and all.

Okay this is my first MOC instruction created with Pictures and not a 3D software. So I would like some feedback before submitting it for approval.

http://bricksafe.com/files/biodreamer/8888-1/8888-1-X20-1.pdf

There is a few small details that might not be as visual as i would want, and the instruction do show what kind of season it is. the sun is setting early causeing each number to be a bit darker then the previous one. I simply do not have enough cloudfree day time, to get anything done if I didn't accept this flaw. I think i did these 3-4 pm. I am not as lucky as Nathan, being down under with summer and all.

Just looking at the pictures, I could follow everything except the placement of the string.  Part of the reason it was difficult is because of the seams between the pieces of white paper on number 16.  Using the zoom in helped.  A better picture of that step is the only change I would suggest.

I have improved string instruction, fixed a few inventory errors and submitted the Moc for approval. I will now go back and attempt to build the first MOC in the book, I have got my hands on two 4,5V motors so I can attempt it now.

Okay I will see what I can do to improve that.

Nice job on that.  The arrows are a big help.  Once it's approved I'll see if I have all the parts and maybe I'll get the neighbor's son to build it during Christmas break.