Breeops

Starting My Inventory

Hi all,

I've been a member of the site for a little while and absolutely love it. Thanks to the creators of Rebrickable; I've been spreading the word to friends and family about how awesome this site is.

Anyway, on to my topic: I picked up a Lego collection from a garage sale a few years ago and never inventoried it...add to that a bunch of other used Lego, new Pick A Brick pieces, and disassembled sets, and I've got a LOT of pieces. Now I am wanting to fully inventory everything, but when I click on a particular piece, I can't see exactly what colors I have from what sets very easily. That is to say, I don't know if I can separate the pieces that go with my disassembled sets from the random non-set pieces I have bought along the way if I am just looking them up for the purpose of inventorying them. Is there an easier way to inventory my loose parts without having to rebuild each of my sets (and I have a lot)? I only have a certain amount of time to dedicate to this each day and would love to know exactly what I have so that I can start building more elaborate things with my kids.

I'm not sure if this even makes sense, and I apologize if a similar topic has been posted previously. I'll put in whatever work I need to, but anything that might save me a little bit of time would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Kerry-

Start by inventory all parts into loose parts, (sorted inventory makes this faster and easier), then when all pieces are done. (may take weeks if not months depending on time and size of collection) you go into build mode (exact) Lego sets only with accessory sets included. the sets coming up as 100% is likely sets you own, open them up one by one and use the partout link to pull the set parts into your sets leaving fewer and fewer parts in your loose parts.

there is currently only one flaw, many sets in rebrickable doesn't handle minifigs and minifigs accessories right yet. there is also flaws with some molds. so double check the inventory and request inventory changes, such as minifig additions to keep nathan and skirrid up to their neck in work. I am currently waiting for my work queues to start shrinking before sending in more requests.

this way you will soon find out if you lost parts from your sets during the years.

On a bulk lot I usually pull all big pieces out [usually plates], sort them into stacks of matching sizes and enter them by colour, and there's no switching to be done. I do this for all parts til I get to the weird scraps and printed bits left at the end. I do, however pull all the prints out as soon as I see them to prevent damage.

Thanks to both of you! I'll try it out. I'm not looking forward to all the work, but it's really what I should have done in the first place. Ah, well...

Now, if only my 3-year-old would quit messing up my piles of bricks... His current obsession is pulling apart and then putting together the R2-D2 minifig, so maybe that will hold him off long enough for me to get *some* work done.