ronzlegonut

Custom Fields / Inventory Location Field

I am looking at either starting my inventory in OpenERP or Rebrickable.  In addition to inventorying every set and every part, I am hoping to confirm if Rebrickable has the option (or suggestion) to implement custom fields so we can make inventory location references.  I use the Plano style plastic container for organizing.  I am hoping to make reference to the container (e.g. GR001 for Green organizer 1).  I was hoping for a secondary location ID that would reference what spot in the container it would be (e.g. 012-03 would be the 3rd row, 12th organizer to the right)

I am also printing a small image with the barcode (element ID) for each part.  I am going with Element ID for organizing all individual part by individual color.

My journey is about to begin and hope Rerickable might consider implementing location ID's to help me organize.  Or if you have it, might someone point out how to do this?

I don't believe this is an available option. You could always make up a spreadsheet to manage that aspect.

Hi,

I'm also looking for a way to have an inventory reference. Spreadsheet is not a good option because of sorting/grouping/... limitations and most of all a missing way to interact with rebrickable's API.

I worked along with the API and putting things (owned sets, setlists, loose parts, lost parts...) into my own database and extended that by relations to a storage_rack and storage_bin table.

But the problem is to have this systems linked/sync with my rebrickable data.

So just having two addtional fields (related to a part of a specific color; sets and loose parts unioned (I would guess making that separate would be a big deal)) with container/rack and bin/position would really be great.

Printing of labels with barcodes would be great, but I know from programming experience that this is a big deal especially in web-systems (making customizable layouts, label-editors,.....).

Many thnaks for taking this suggestion into account

Dietmar

Dietmar,

I am wondering if you are interested in collaborating on alternative options.  I would welcome chatting in more detail about what you are looking to do and discuss what my goals are.  They sounds similar.  I am hoping you might provide insight with your development (API) skills and I am happy to  discuss bar-coding and inventory management.  If interested please reply and we can coordinate a chat client session.  

To give you an idea about what I would love to do.... I am hoping to leverage OpenERP and tap into two key components.  1. is the inventory/warehouse management.  We could utilize the locations within the system for inventory management.  2. leverage their Bill of Material to make API calls into Rebrickable so you could pull a set within OpenERP and it will create a "pick list" based in Rebrickables items and incorporating your inventory management to quickly pull your pieces.  Like a warehouse you could use a barcode scanner and the "pick" list.  As you pick, you scan the barcode and confirm the # of pieces you are removing from inventory.  The same process would exist when adding inventory to your storage.  I am leveraging Plano storage units and plan to apply image/barcode with Element ID as the unique identifier.

This has both hobby and real world application for educational purposes.

I also have a barcode scanner if you dont have one.

Appreciate your consideration,

ronzlegonut

Hi,

I'm also looking for a way to have an inventory reference. Spreadsheet is not a good option because of sorting/grouping/... limitations and most of all a missing way to interact with rebrickable's API.

I worked along with the API and putting things (owned sets, setlists, loose parts, lost parts...) into my own database and extended that by relations to a storage_rack and storage_bin table.

But the problem is to have this systems linked/sync with my rebrickable data.

So just having two addtional fields (related to a part of a specific color; sets and loose parts unioned (I would guess making that separate would be a big deal)) with container/rack and bin/position would really be great.

Printing of labels with barcodes would be great, but I know from programming experience that this is a big deal especially in web-systems (making customizable layouts, label-editors,.....).

Many thnaks for taking this suggestion into account

Dietmar

I have never been let down by a spreadsheet for sorting and grouping options, so I am not sure what makes it not a good option. I also have used the API with a spreadsheet..... but the thing is I am using Excel 2013 with a macro enabled workbook in that case.

Not saying having something built in here would be bad, but I still do believe a spreadsheet could accomplish it in the meantime.

@ronniez:

I'm really not familar with OpenERP. Just looked it up (hope I looked up coorectly on oodo, right?) and it seems to have a lot of feature which may be helpful. But I'm actually programming in C# / Visual Studio 2013 for WinForms and ASP.net/MVC - so not very familar with Phyton...

My idea ( and parts I've implemented up to now) is more to have a local DB and GUI just for inventory of my sets and loose parts and attached information like Building intructions, own pictures and alike and on the other hand as much information as possible from Rebrickable and (partailly and limmited due to their licence-policies) Bricklink.

But what we can do is sharing the ways of implementing a lib to speak with the API (I've placed the API-calls into an own library; maybe you can reuse it).

@zurno:

that shouldn't be a call against using spreadsheet - I personally feel better (and I'm more experienced in ) usind DB and programing in C# and .NET .