ensonic

Show Exact Colors In Missing Parts When Using Close Color Matching

When I check set "5893-1" I e.g. miss part "50967". In close color matching, it shows it as "light bluish gray" in the tooltip, when using the exact color matching it shows as "dark bluish gray". If I still miss the part, I'd prefer to order it in the exact color (or just decide my self if a close color is good enough).

Could rebrickable show the exact color for missing parts? Or is this intentional (if so whats the idea?).

To get exact colour-matching choose 'Exact' when doing queries. Close colour matching is designed to allow you to get a decent match using the most common colours for the parts, so is sometimes different to 'Exact' due to colour frequency of the missing parts.

To get exact colour-matching choose 'Exact' when doing queries. Close colour matching is designed to allow you to get a decent match using the most common colours for the parts, so is sometimes different to 'Exact' due to colour frequency of the missing parts.

That's right. It is hard to show what the real color is after choosing "Close". For example, you have 2 x Red, 2 x Pink, 2 x Light Purple but you need 3 x Purple and 4 x Pink. Using a "Close" color match, all of these colors are treated as if they are Red and so it would say you are missing 1 x Red part (7 - 6). Now, tell me what color should that missing part be?

Oh, right. The close color matching is also considering to mix parts. Just wrote this as due to this I brought some "light bluish gray" parts that are supposed to be transparent. Could the color matching be improved to not consider opaque colors for transparent parts?.

Oh, right. The close color matching is also considering to mix parts. Just wrote this as due to this I brought some "light bluish gray" parts that are supposed to be transparent. Could the color matching be improved to not consider opaque colors for transparent parts?.

Yes probably, I will review the mappings being used.

+1

+1

On this set: http://rebrickable.com/build_set?s=31001-1

There are several transparent parts and when using "close matching" it suggests the opaque versions of all the parts. I'd rather it told me the exact part in the set although it is useful to be told the alternative more commonly occurring part color. Maybe it would easiest if it showed both the exact and the "close color".

What I usually do is use close color matching. Then I look at the picture of the model and for any visible parts I try to get the exact color instead.

Following

This ends up being a problem because the "Close color" for some parts doesn't really exist in real life for some parts, as far as I can tell. So when I export a Bricklink wanted list, I'll end up with some parts that I cannot buy.

Here's an example:

http://rebrickable.com/build_set?s=5762-1&partlist=1&s1=31014-1&s2=&s3=&c=2&ignore_print=1&ignore_mold=1&ignore_alt=1&ignore_minifig=1&ignore_nonlego=1

If you look through the missing pieces, there are 2x 61409 in Light Bluish Gray. But that part doesn't exist in Light Bluish Gray, at least according to Brickset and the vendor sites such as Bricklink and Brickowl: http://brickset.com/parts?query=61409

The same problem happens in this example with part 3065 in Light Bluish Gray, which again doesn't exist. It's a transparent piece and only exists in transparent colors.

Also, notice that part 3065 doesn't show up in the Missing Parts section of the page I linked, but does appear on http://rebrickable.com/build_set_parts?s=5762-1&setlist=0&partlist=1&s1=31014-1&s2=&s3=&c=1&ignore_print=1&ignore_mold=1&ignore_alt=1&ignore_minifig=1&ignore_nonlego=1.